Abandoned mining town HDR

rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
edited May 5, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Went to New Idria in CA. It was abandoned some time ago. Take a look and let me know what you think.

_lol6442_3_4_5_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6244_5_6_7_8_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6210_1_2_3_4_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6127_28_29_30_31_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6314_5_6_7_8_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6472_3_4_5_6_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6563_4_5_6_7_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6578_79_80_81_82_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6613_4_5_6_7_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6682_3_4_5_tonemapped-L.jpg

_lol6727_28_29_30_31_tonemapped-L.jpg

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Looks like a very interesting place to shoot! Love the series and the HDR work. Not over blown! thumb.gif

However, where some great overblown images could have merit would be Rust abstracts in the many opportunities you have here. Especially with the the care in the Last shot! :D

Time for a second series!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Somehow I knew DonRicklin would post on the rusty car ;)

Nice collection of photos. The people in that town must have ate alot of salads.... so many bottles of dressing......... more than my local Walmart carries.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 4, 2011
    Cool shots, a little oversaturated for my tastes.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    I've never seen so many bottles of salad dressing. I agree with David .. the town must of ate a lot of salads.

Enjoyed your series of photos very much. I liked them all, but the salad dressing photo keeps drawing me back to look some more.

Any information on this place you could share with us?
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I've never seen so many bottles of salad dressing. I agree with David .. the town must of ate a lot of salads.

Enjoyed your series of photos very much. I liked them all, but the salad dressing photo keeps drawing me back to look some more.

Any information on this place you could share with us?

You can find more here: http://www.new-idria.org/

Rest of series: http://joshnorem.smugmug.com/Other/New-Idria-Mine/16872287_v4vwws#1274170944_ng4WHgZ

Thanks for the critique. As far as being too saturated, I reduced saturation in most of them if not all to around 70% to make things less red but didn't bother masking in anything from the normal exposures. What can I say, I'm lazy :)
    edited May 5, 2011
    You can find more here: http://www.new-idria.org/

Rest of series: http://joshnorem.smugmug.com/Other/New-Idria-Mine/16872287_v4vwws#1274170944_ng4WHgZ

Thanks for the critique. As far as being too saturated, I reduced saturation in most of them if not all to around 70% to make things less red but didn't bother masking in anything from the normal exposures. What can I say, I'm lazy :)

Thanks for the info .. looks like a fascinating place to visit. I'm surprised you can just roam on in there. Certainly a place I'd love to visit.

Still am perplexed as to why there was so many bottle of salad dressing and after looking at your other photos .. all the cans of what looks like tomatoes headscratch.gif

Great work thumb.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    Thanks for the info .. looks like a fascinating place to visit. I'm surprised you can just roam on in there. Certainly a place I'd love to visit.

Still am perplexed as to why there was so many bottle of salad dressing and after looking at your other photos .. all the cans of what looks like tomatoes headscratch.gif

Great work thumb.gif
    Italian mining enclave? rolleyes1.gif

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011

Great work thumb.gif

I think technically its probably trespassing but there is nobody around. At one point there was an official looking vehicle there with a lightbar on top of it but he saw us with our cameras and didn't do a thing; even waved to us, so I think as long as you're not doing any harm it's fine. It is pretty dangerous though. The main building's ceiling has collapsed and the whole time we were in there it seemed like the whole thing could come down at any moment, but luckily that didn't happen.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    The chandelier shot is really great. And yeah, what's with all that salad dressing?
    edited May 5, 2011
    I think technically its probably trespassing but there is nobody around. At one point there was an official looking vehicle there with a lightbar on top of it but he saw us with our cameras and didn't do a thing; even waved to us, so I think as long as you're not doing any harm it's fine. It is pretty dangerous though. The main building's ceiling has collapsed and the whole time we were in there it seemed like the whole thing could come down at any moment, but luckily that didn't happen.

Nice to know it's being watched. Makes it safer for photographers. You wouldn't want to come across anyone camping out there, etc.

I'd sure like to find a place like this, but I did put it on my list of 'where I want to go' :D

Glad to hear you made it in and out of there safely.