Options

books

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited October 6, 2005 in Technique
Can anyone suggest good photography books for technique?
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    chrisjlee wrote:
    Can anyone suggest good photography books for technique?
    Awfully quiet. Maybe you need to be more specific? What kind of photography are you interested in--portraits, scenery, wildlife? I've found that usually the real general books don't give you enough detail on a specific topic, but they will usually point you in the right direction.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Taking the photo technique or post work technique?

ginger:D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Probably lots of disagreement on this, but...
    For general photography learning, the best book is no book at all. You will learn faster by getting out and doing.

Forums, magazines that feature photos, the odd occasional book, and your own imagination will be your greatest asset for inspiration, but I would say, not for step by step instruction. There is something about photography that prevents "book learning" from being really effective.

So if you are just starting out, my advise is to get your hands dirty and shoot as many things in as many different ways as you can muster with your equipment. Experiences is what you need. The brain neurons need the hands on approach to make their connections.

So where do books come in? The more narrow and specific your need, the more benefit books will have. General photography can't be taught in a book like sports can't be taught by reading a book, it is a physical thing that has to be learned by the body doing it in practice. But when you have learned those things and you want to zero in on the more obscure things, the little offshoots of technique, the computer based side of things (like post processing), those lend themselves better to book learning.

Now that I think a tad more about this, there are three subjects that should be studied, and the start of them can be learned in a book, online, or in a magazine. Learn the basics of lighting, composition, and exposure.

Learn the various kinds of lighting, how they are set up, and the effect it has on a photo. You can then use that information to light a scene yourself, or, using the natural existing light, setup your scene to make best use of the light available.

Learn composition. There are a few guidelines that can help you get the most out of a scene. Learn the basics, and add to them so that your own aesthetic is satisfied.

Learn exposure. If you are a slave to autoexposure, you don't have the total freedom of creativity at your disposal. Learn how to effectively determine the right exposure to use based on how you want the scene to look. No camera in the world can be artistic or creative, only you can do that, and exposure has such a large roll to play in the look of a photo, that you really would do yourself justice in having the ability to set this yourself.

These three subjects can be partially learned by reading, but not entirely. You will only be getting the stepping stones. So my over-repeated message is to not get too occupied with written material, get out there and shoot, make mistakes, and learn from your mistakes, not books.

So as not to come off as a complete jerk, here is a reference that I have found invaluable in learning exposure:
    http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

That page will take a long time to fully understand and be implementable. But it is the best reference I have ever come across on the subject of exposure.

Now this resource, Joe Zeltsman Guide to Portrait Photography, whether you like the portraits or not, has some good info on lighting and composition. You can take this info in whatever direction you want.
    http://jzportraits.home.att.net/

And lastly, you can pick up a lot of little nuggets of information and technique by reading forums (such as this one) with just such a view.

Other forums I have found inspirational:

Pro forum
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1014&page=1

Lighting
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1025&page=1

Retouching
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1006

Many subjects
    http://www.zuga.net/forums/index.php?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Thanks, Shay! I have bookmarked your post, and I hope it gets put into wisdom here, or something, it might not, maybe if you made it more technical, but I think it is very valuable, though I don't agree with you completely.

And that may be because I am a compulsive shooter and have been since I was a kid.

With this digital age, and being a member here and all, I have found a few books extremely useful, I mean very! On the how to Post Process. I don't learn the stuff, too hyper to do that, I sit here with a book on my lap while doing the "thing". As with most people I have found Scott Kelby's books very useful. I thought I had "outgrown" him a bit until I got CS2, then I had to have one book on that and I chose his. I want these books in order to get the most out of my tools. And I don't want to go to the internet, because I want the book, with an easy index, that I can open up, put on my lap and follow the recipe, so to speak. After a few times I have that memorized, but if I forget the recipe is there. That hastens my post processing, and that is a good thing, IMO.

Next I bought from Lynn, here who didn't find it useful, she said, Ben Wilmore's book called Photoshop CS, I am sure it will be updated. I have found that a very valuable, sit in my lap and tell me about blending modes book. Also I have one book I bought just because on two pages it has sample "curves" for different situations. That got me more comfortable with curves.

Some people here are heavily into Dan Margulis and his LAB techniques, two good books from him. I, unfortunately for me, have not had the patience to learn his stuff.

Then I was disappointed that there were so few books out on just shooting. I bought some. Bad idea. So I am glad to have your references on that Shay, I should get a book on lighting.

But as a subspecialty, well, I shoot a lot of birds. I got some books at the library on shooting wildlife and or birds. I also read reviews and bought some, usually second hand, on Amazon.

Some of them have been extremely helpful. One was a library book, I renewed it a couple of times, then I ordered it. From that book on one of the first readings I was introduced to the fact I should be using a different lens, around the same price range: I finally did get the lens, and it has been great. Many other tips in this book. I should sleep with these under my pillow. I don't have time to read them like I could/should. Anyway, I have mentioned before, the first one I bought was Moose Peterson's Guide to Wildlife Photography. He has a web site, too.

I have a bunch of them now. If only I read them all. But I do know where some of the important stuff is. I have one that I know will tell me, among other things, the best way to crop a bird. Once every three months or so, that is great info.

I think I would go with a photoshop book by Scott Kelby first, do as Shay says, shoot and shoot and shoot. Then when you find out what you like to shoot, what your interests are, and live with it for awhile, you could search out books in that area. As far as what to shoot, well books/mags they can inspire me to try, and try again, but I just can't shoot like "they" can, so that is only candy reading, IMO.

I would build a library very slowly with the emphasis on shooting, like Shay says.

ginger (a hint, from barnes and Noble, books can be returned if you are disappointed, they are usually cheaper online, "used" books can be a great bargain, and you cannot return a magazine. Magazines have become very expensive. There are some I consider necessary to my psychological well being such as LensWork, and I would not get it if I were you, it is 10.00, and it breaks my bank to buy it. I just love the writing, the quotes allow me to go on and make those necessary mistakes. etc. Another hint, you can usually only fit one bk on your lap at once, I would make it Kelby's, if you have photoshop.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Well, we don't actually disagree too much here :): :

I mentioned:
    So where do books come in? ... the computer based side of things (like post processing), those lend themselves better to book learning.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    though I don't agree with you completely.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Agree with what Shay said...
    Too me, Shay's advice hits the nail on the head...
    For general photography learning, the best book is no book at all. You will learn faster by getting out and doing.
    Totally agree... This is the best way...
    Learn the basics of lighting, composition, and exposure.
    Totally agree with Shay on this as well with particular emphasis on lighting and exposure (as well as post processing which Shay mentioned above).

IMO, a primary difference in the good photographer and the great photographer is the mastery of lighting and proper exposure...

Lee