Options

#76 c&c please?

oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited May 9, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
of all the challenges i've entered, this is the one where i am not capable of objectivity. my mom passed away when i was 17. ever since, mother's day has had a sad note for me.

this idea came to mind immediately after reading the theme. this is the 1st attempt of what i fear will have to be a long, iterative process.

any input on how to make it better will be more greately appreciated than usual.

thanks in advance.
we still miss you
mom%201-M.jpg

- Diana

Comments

• Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mothers passing. I bet it is harder then ever on Mother's Day. I like your idea of a collage, do you have children?
    I think it would tug at my heart to see your children or yourself all looking at this photo while holding it...and while it isn't a great day for you, smile because in your hands you are holding alot of great memories of a wonderful mother iloveyou.gif.
    Again, I'm sorry for your loss, good luck with this challenge and I hope you find peace on Sunday.
    xo
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mothers passing. I bet it is harder then ever on Mother's Day. I like your idea of a collage, do you have children?
    I think it would tug at my heart to see your children or yourself all looking at this photo while holding it...and while it isn't a great day for you, smile because in your hands you are holding alot of great memories of a wonderful mother iloveyou.gif.
    Again, I'm sorry for your loss, good luck with this challenge and I hope you find peace on Sunday.
    xo

Thank you Angela!

alas, i don't have children, and my nieces and nephews live in other countries. but i'll keep playing with this idea until i get to where i want to be, or run out of time (by the way, the baby/toddler in the pictures is my sister; i'm the older girl in some of the other pictures)

i've had some happy mothers' days since, days spent with women i love and who are wonderful moms, aunts, cousins, friends.

hope you have a wonderful Mother's day this Sunday!

- Diana
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Excellent idea for the challenge. Think your finger is a bit distracting. I know they talk of thirds when framing images, and am not very good at arranging images, but in this case would have put your mother in a more central position, with other photos around.
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Yea I was thinking the same as torrbrae with just the half a thumb peeking in to the frame. I'd say either no hand at all, or what I think I'd rather see is making the hand more prominent in the composition. This would probably entail using less photos to keep some balance between the frame space of the hand and the photos.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Yea I was thinking the same as torrbrae with just the half a thumb peeking in to the frame. I'd say either no hand at all, or what I think I'd rather see is making the hand more prominent in the composition. This would probably entail using less photos to keep some balance between the frame space of the hand and the photos.
    Or you have a hand (two ?) cupping the images in a manner of speaking????

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    I have an idea...could you use a tripod...and put this collage on a mirror, like when you wedge little notes or cards in the edge of mirror frame? I could see it done on like a small make up table and you looking at while you are getting yourself ready (makeup ...etc...hair...the stuff mom's taught us) with a warm glow to it? maybe set the camera to the right a little behind you to get the reflection and the picture (which would come into view from the left of the mirror)
    Hard for me to convey what I just saw in my head. lol
    I had a great Mothers day! thanks for well wishes doll :)
    I spend the day at the zoo for battered/tested animals...and saw a lot of babies, makes you think about alot thats for sure.
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)