Taking photos in DC

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 7, 2011 in People
I *may* have a headshot shoot in and around DC coming up, specifically in and around the Kennedy Center.

I remember somebody posting a while back that you need permits to shoot more than snapshots at any "official" locations in DC - does anybody know the skinny on that, and/or where I could look for further info? I've been googling around to no avail., and can't find any specific info at the KC website either.

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    If you are only going to shoot natural light and hand-held I would go by the "Shoot first and ask questions later" rule. If you are going to be using lights or even a tripod for your camera, you can obtain a permit from the Park Service or Capitol Police.

Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    I think that only applies to commercial photography, but glance through the related permit to see if it actually applies to what you'll be doing: http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/permits.htm
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Thanks - Kerry, that's just the sort of page I was hoping to find (and which isn't on the KC website!).

Bryce, I do'nt think I could slip this one under the radar if it happens, so at least now I can be prepared in the event it goes ahead (a big if).

Tx! thumb.gif
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    I shoot in/around the mall and the monuments down there all the time and never get stopped. (it's nice to be a couple metro stops away!)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr