Looking for unbiased critique

devmcdevmc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited May 10, 2011 in People
This is my very first post in the world of photographers. There is so much talent on this forum that is inspiring, and intimidating. I am searching for a mentor as I am self taught, and it's hard to find while working full time and raising two young boys. So I'm hoping for some direction. I'm also still working on what kind of photography is my forte. I love edgier and "real" photography. More of a photo-journalistic approach. I have a hard time posing people; that might be more from lack of experience and trial and error. Thank you for viewing, and providing me a cyber mentor-ship!

Comments

• devmcdevmc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Also - how do you post more than image on a new thread? So much to learn!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    devmc wrote: »
    Also - how do you post more than image on a new thread? So much to learn!
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18703
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Nice idea! but oh how I wish you hadn't chopped off half your main subject! The dark centre on the right of the picture leads the eye to the out-of-focus part of the picture; but my eye keeps coming back to the chopped of part of the image, making me think why oh why did he/she ruin this picture? The best lesson is to look at pictures which work well, and ask yourself why do they work?, what makes them work? and how can I get the same effect? Sorry, your picture had great potential, but you might just as well have taken a knife to it!

Sorry, but you did ask!

ne_nau.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited May 7, 2011
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Sorry, your picture had great potential, but you might just as well have taken a knife to it!

Sorry, but you did ask!

ne_nau.gif

- Wil

This is exactly what I'm looking for...real honest opinion. No need for apology!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    devmc wrote: »
    This is my very first post in the world of photographers. There is so much talent on this forum that is inspiring, and intimidating. I am searching for a mentor as I am self taught, and it's hard to find while working full time and raising two young boys. So I'm hoping for some direction. I'm also still working on what kind of photography is my forte. I love edgier and "real" photography. More of a photo-journalistic approach. I have a hard time posing people; that might be more from lack of experience and trial and error. Thank you for viewing, and providing me a cyber mentor-ship!
    Nice black and white conversion!
    Interesting approach, cutting the primary subject almost in half by the edge of the frame and placing the secondary subject (little girls in the center) way OOF and basically blending here into the b/g.
    I can see this image being a background for an ad, with the ad content taking the limelight.
    At any rate, the black thingie in the top left corner (dead tree?) creates a rather serious distraction and becomes a solid contender for the focal point #2 (in lieu of the little girl). Again, if this image is a background for something else that justifies all those "violations" - that's totally fine.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Judging by your style in the above, dev, you need to look out the work of our own Indiegirl http://lifephotographed.com/ - I think it will appeal to you thumb.gif

I actually like the idea behind the comp, but feel that the heavy shadowing on her face is what makes the unusual crop not quite work. If it was more subtle shading I think it could work really well!

Btw, you can embed/link as many shots as you like in a post, but only *attach* one - check out the instructions which Nik linked nod.gif
    edited May 7, 2011
    richy wrote: »
    Two kiddies myself and I don't have huge amounts of time but always happy to try and help!

I certainly will post more...this is one of my more "daring" shots, so that has a lot of why I put it on here as my first post. I LOVE the feedback. Thank you.
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Very interesting shot! I like it :-)
    Some minor points:
    - I would like to see more balance though. The girl in the back more to the left for example,
    - crop the girl in front exactly in half
    - and make the girl in front a bit lighter. Preferably in RAW.

Do you mind me posting an edited version?
  • Nasser RadiNasser Radi Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    I liked this capture very much
    but, in my view, the right side of the front girl is dark
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Liking or disliking a photo like this is largely a matter of personal taste.
    I happen to really like it. I like that she is cut in half, all together....it just works.
    I like that you left the dark tree trunk as it does a very good job of balancing the frame.
    Leave it just how it is. This is right up my alley :).

Lets see more....maybe you are one of those people that just has an "eye" for photography. From this first shot it appears you may.

"The greatest hindrance to creativity is the fear that you may be wrong."
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    I love the compostion on this shot. wonderful. Though I find the shadows on subject on the right too dark and the tree in the background uneccessary.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 10, 2011
    Thanks for all your comments/advice. I will be posting more; the feedback is priceless!