Teach me...

devmcdevmc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited May 7, 2011 in Landscapes
As in my other very first post, honest opinions matter to me; that's the only way I'll learn right now. I took these pictures in October. Thanks for your feedback.

pict6570-L.jpg

pict6657.1.1-L.jpg

pict6609.2-L.jpg

pict6575.b.w.sm-L.jpg16935751_4DR68z#1280250494_5ZT6JSx-A-LB

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Ok let me give my thoughts. I like the first image, really like the idea of framing the image with other objects like you have used leaves. I actually have a photo very similar to this taken in CO in fall of Aspens. What you should watch for are images where the horizon line is 50/50. You have divided the image almost exactly in half. That type of composition is just not as dynamic as it would have been if you had 1/3 or 1/4 bottom the the rest the leaves and trees. Its called the rule of thirds, its one that can be broken but usually a good one to adhere too. Another way to shoot this shot would have been either use a smaller apeture and place the leaves in focus as well as the remainder of the image, there may not have been enough seperation of leaves and background to get good effects but it is always worth shooting it both ways. I do really like the tones of the first image as well. Also be careful not to have too much of the leaves as it can be somewhat overwhelming.

#2 Way too much negative area with no information in it (the black area) if your subject is the house, I believe it is too far away, try using a longer lens. You would want to recompose this shot maybe by moving further up the ridge closer to the tree to eliminate the shadows.

#3 I really like this image and composition. Nice colors and the "s" path is interesting to look at and take the viewer on a journey. it appears to me to not be sharp, might just be my view of it but my guess is you should have used a smaller apeture say f11 or f16 so the whole image is in focus. also there are some very bright areas that are probably blown out (too white). This might be a limitation of the camera dynamic range or just speeding up the shutter speed a bit to eliminate this.

#4 I like your B/W conversion. But there is quite a bit going on in this image. too many branches, railings on the right side and a bit too dark. This image might work better as a square crop. Crop from the right to the left.

Not too bad overall though, just some technical issues that could help improve things.
  • devmcdevmc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Great thoughts and views on the pictures. I just read about the rule of thirds a couple months ago, and it does make a lot of sense. I tend to lean towards a large stop because I love that depth of field, but I need to learn it's place still. Thank you!