Seascapes part deux

wizardrywizardry Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited May 12, 2011 in Landscapes
So i've been out and about taking more seascapes and trying to perfect my technique...i have noticed and i have heard this before that when you combine GND and ND"s sometimes you get a magenta cast on the shots...i read it actually has something to do with the 5D MK II itself...weird but anyways...here you go. These were all taken at Windansea beach in La Jolla over the last couple of days. Hope you like them.

1. Deliverance
img_0369_mod-XL.jpg

2. Zen Flow
img_0456_mod-XL.jpg

3. Pillars (This shot was Explored on Flickr...whatever that means...lol)
img_0994_mod-XL.jpg

4. Passage to Heaven
img_0789_mod-XL.jpg

5. Warmth
img_0797_mod-XL.jpg

The last one has a little different pp to it...i added some warmth to bring out the foreground. Sorry if it's too much for all of you :P

You can see all of my seascapes at:
http://www.wizphotos.com/Nature/Scapes/Seascapes/16732342_Jd3jpb#1279384385_RrcvVHW

Comments

• bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    This is an incredible series of seascapes. Wow. I'd say you perfected your technique!
  • ScottWScottW Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    WOW, these are fantastic. The last one is my favorite. I like how you can see the sun shining through the clouds and the bright colors in the foreground!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Amazing!
  • wizardrywizardry Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Much appreciated :D
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    really like these... the whole series is great, but the last is really nice!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Thanks for the great set - I especially like #5
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Great job, but I do think the sky is too red for my taste.
    Your exposure times for the water are wonderful and your choice of rocks is superbthumb.gif
    edited May 10, 2011
    Thanks Marc. That's why i mentioned the part about the magenta cast from combining the 2 filters. I guess i have to do a better job in pp to reduce it.
    Great job, but I do think the sky is too red for my taste.
    Your exposure times for the water are wonderful and your choice of rocks is superbthumb.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Like the series and the mood you're creating. I like the last one in particular but the difference in color temperature between the foreground and sky is a little distracting because of the magenta cast. If you shot RAW you can make the temperature adjustment for the sky but will probably have to blend two versions to keep from throwing the foreground off the other way.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Very nice!! I also think you could knock down some of the red in the sky' but still great work.

sam
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    edited May 10, 2011
    I agree with all of you about the reds. I shoot in raw so i'll create 2 different exposures, change the white balance, and blend them to make a more realistic shot. Thanks again for the great comments!
    edited May 10, 2011
    wizardry wrote: »
    I agree with all of you about the reds. I shoot in raw so i'll create 2 different exposures, change the white balance, and blend them to make a more realistic shot. Thanks again for the great comments!

If you have lightroom you can use the Graduated Filter, at the very bottom of the sliders within the tool, there is a color box. Click on it and select a density of the opposing color, in your case green. This will reduce the cast in a region within a single exposuredeal.gif

Have fun:D
    edited May 11, 2011
    What if I dont have LR but just use CS5?
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    These are great, jaw dropping even
    edited May 11, 2011
    Thanks Wolf. So i called Singh Ray and they are saying that the magenta/purplish cast is a known issue and the reason why they have stopped manufacturing 5 stop GND's. The lady suggested i use a glass ND filter and then add the GND since the glass shouldn't have a color shift. I'll test it the next time I'm out and see what happens ;-)
    edited May 11, 2011
    wizardry wrote: »
    What if I dont have LR but just use CS5?

Once the file is open in CS5,
    -enter quick mask mode
    -select the gradient tool
    -click once at the beginning of the selection and move cursor down to about the bottom of the red area and release
    -masked area should appear red, now exit quick mask mode and crawling ants appear to mark selection
    -open new curves adj layer
    -within curves palette, select the green channel, click on the middle of the curve and remove magenta, or select red channel and remove some red as well as it may be a combination of the two?

BTW, I use glass ND filters and there is no castthumb.gif Also, I create these types of images by just taking bracketed exposures and blending them manually in CS5, meaning you wont have to buy ANYTHING to create this shot:D
    edited May 11, 2011
    Thanks Marc. Will give that a try!
  • spacefuzzspacefuzz Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    lovely shots, I kind of like the red sky. Gives them an edgy look.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    This is amazing! Woah! bowdown.gif
  • chuck54chuck54 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Great series. Try blending the sky in #4 and the rocks in #5.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum