New Composition -- Your Thoughts?

kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
edited May 10, 2011 in People
I was experimenting with new composition because I feel all of my photos are kind of stuck in a composition box that I'd really like to break out of.

So I framed this picture a little differently and I feel that it works well. Obviously as a standalone portrait it's probably not the best composition but there are many others that have more "traditional" composition. I feel this type of shot would work well in a diptych.

What say you?

If you have any other comments on it I'd be glad to hear.

_mg_4720-2-L.jpg

Here's the whole gallery if you're interested in seeing the others.

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    As is, it kind of leaves me....eh.

I do however think this pose/crop warrants a second look. I am thinking that if the subject were moved to the bottom right corner and she were looking up (with head and eyes) toward the top left corner it might work in a big way.
  • kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    As is, it kind of leaves me....eh.

I do however think this pose/crop warrants a second look. I am thinking that if the subject were moved to the bottom right corner and she were looking up (with head and eyes) toward the top left corner it might work in a big way.

Thanks for the input.
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Yeah, the Bokeh is beautiful and buttery, but she needs to be making eye contact to make this a shot at all worth loving, forget about interesting... More from this shoot please? :-)
    Canon Fan
  • kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Yeah, the Bokeh is beautiful and buttery, but she needs to be making eye contact to make this a shot at all worth loving, forget about interesting... More from this shoot please? :-)

There's a link under the picture with more from the shoot.
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Haha, oops :-)

I LOVE #9
    Canon Fan
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Would work better if she were not smack dab in the center.
    Try cropping it further to just below her eyes and tuck her into the bottom photo left corner.
    Change it to a contrasty black and white with some grain.....maybe :).

For experimenting....try to shoot what the eye would not normally see.

I like most of the shots in the gallery....she is a great little model.
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Not a fan of #1, but I like #4 because it has a 2/3rds pose and she's smiling a little...
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    I really don't think this kind of image works. It has the feeling that you wasted a lot of space....what's so interesting about all of the dead space. If you answer is nothing...then the head shot had better be able to carry the image. I've not seen any images, in my opinion, that look good in this format.

It, to me, looks like a mistake...or should I say what mistakes used to look like. I guess there's a reasonable number of photographers making money off of images that look exactly like what camera designers are working to eliminate. Go figure.

Well, that's my two cents.

I did look at the rest of the gallery...and, for the most part...nice...my favorite is number 3...although, I would have liked to see the subject positioned to the right of the image...and then looking to picture left.

But, then, that's me.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    #4 and #7 are the winners. #9 would have been stunning if she were smiling, I'll bet. In my opinion, she's too young to look so pensive and downtrodden in all the pictures. That doesn't mean she has to look exuberant in all of them, but her facial expressions throughout the series don't match the energy and hopefulness of her youth.
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    I like to play around with composition, and fairly often don't follow the usual rules. Sometimes it works; other times not. What I have discovered is that there needs to be something in the background the adds to the subject. This can be a simple as contrast (e.g. a bright subject against a simple black backdrop), some shapes or concepts that add subtly to the image, or something that explains the context. In your gallery, images 2 and 3 use the fence in interesting ways, and I think work much better as unusual crops. Image 1 has trees in the background, but they intrude more than add to the picture IMHO.