New Favorite Portrait Lens

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited May 9, 2011 in People
After forgetting I even had it, and using it a few times now, the Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro has become my new favorite lens for doing portraits when paired with my D700. Doesn't work for that purpose with a DX sensor, but with full frame I just love it.

Did this one yesterday. I think he has a most interesting face. Wish I would have turned his head a bit more to hide that big earlobe peaking out, but he didn't seem to notice.

200 f5.6 125 Three Lights

5695337040_367b813ee6_b.jpg

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Handsome portrait. Interesting face indeed. I bet he loved it.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Nice shot. The forward lean is a very nice masculine pose for a man. Watch out on the hair light for a man or lady with thinning hair. You get that specular highlight which is annoying but a fact of life. Very nice job.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Nice job indeed ! I noticed the ear lobe thing too and thought that is the type of thing I never notice till way after the shoot. He'll not even notice it I bet. Very flattering shot there !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Super portrait. That background is wonderful. What is it?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Super portrait. That background is wonderful. What is it?

Thanks a lot!

It is a large piece of muslin that has been died and then spray painted with several colors to add some texture and depth. I stretch it taught with a couple of clamps. I was kind of going for the "old masters" look. It doesn't look very good when in focus, but when positioned at least 6 feet away from the subject, with good bokeh (one of the reasons I'm liking the 105mm macro), I'm rather happy with it.

VayCayMom
    Nice job indeed ! I noticed the ear lobe thing too and thought that is the type of thing I never notice till way after the shoot. He'll not even notice it I bet. Very flattering shot there !!

Thank you! And you're right, he didn't notice it. I did feel the obligation to point it out to him though. He didn't have a problem with it.

Hackbone
    Nice shot. The forward lean is a very nice masculine pose for a man. Watch out on the hair light for a man or lady with thinning hair. You get that specular highlight which is annoying but a fact of life. Very nice job.

Thanks! I borrowed that look from some of the publicity shots that used to come out of Hollywood for the male stars years ago. I think it works well with older men that might have a pound or two more than they would like.

Funny you mention the highlight present on the widows peak on the right side of the portrait as a possible negative. I thought it worked well to fill in his missing hair in that area and blended with his natural hair color rather than calling attention to the fact it wasn't there.

briandelion
    Handsome portrait. Interesting face indeed. I bet he loved it.

Gracias! Well, at least he didn't complain as grumpy old guys are sometime want to do.:D
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    I agree. Nice shot. And I also agree about the 105. I have a Nikon 105 VR 2.8 Micro. It was a cool mess around lens for macro on DX. But on FX that lens comes into its own for usability. If I am doing a product shot of any kind, that is the lens on my D3s. It just is wicked sharp and has nice bokeh even at higher f stops. I feel it is in a better range distance wise too. I don't run out of room to use it.
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Very nice portrait, Bryce! Nice pose and it does remind me of those old Hollywood-style promo portraits...