Options

Opinions on Pricing This

castnerrmcastnerrm Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited May 8, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I was recommended to a local fitness club. They called and want me to quote them on a price to photograph their 2 different locations(about 30 min apart). They want pics of the general interior, weight room, gym, pool area, various events/games such as swimming meets, tennis, kids birthday parties along with various classes(spin, yoga, cardio...) all in an effort to update their website, various handouts, postcards and so on. I was told I can ether give an hourly rate or a one time price. I anticipate this taking 4-6 days to shoot both locations and the various events. All they want are hi-res post-processed images on DVD's. I am not sure how to price this as its my first venture on this type of shoot and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or guidance on how to proceed.

Thanks
Bob

Comments

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    When I am NOT sure of the deliverables that will please the client then I charge by time.

In this case it sounds like they know what they want but I do not think they do. You could shoot 10k images and not hit the mark.

You can help them clarify what they are trying to do in terms of messaging, style, expression, etc Working with the copywriter and their Mr Marketing (CEO?) will help. For deliverables you should offer to provide the right images for web, folder prints, and posters - even offer to provide the posters. Perhaps you want to provide models - the chance of lucking out and finding a willing fitness client to meet their image of themselves is vanishly small. By clarifying the assignment you will become their consultant and a lot more valuable than a shooter. You can also explain why doing this properly costs a lot more than the number they had in their mind initially and why it is worth the extra. These hours are also chargeable.

Of course, when they simply want a few stock photos of their operation then one day of your time will meet their expectations for the budget at least.

Sounds like a fun assignment. I wish you well.