Perhaps The Rarest Of All The Duesenbergs

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited May 10, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
"The rarest of the rare Duesenbergs". That's a quote from Fred Roe, Historian of the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Club. He should know what he's talking about.

The car here is a 1927 Duesenberg " X " Boat Roadster. The only one ever made. It was presented as a show car at the 1927 New York Salon Show. A complete restoration has been done.....the car showing its original colors and bright work....including the red leather interior. This was a "fair weather" car only; it has no top nor any windscreen wipers.

The car is powered by the famous Duesenberg straight 8, the same engine that powered Duesenberg race cars to 4 victories in the Indianapolis 500 race in the teens and 20's.

This year's Amelia Island show had what is considered to be one of the most significant gatherings of Duesenbergs....both in number and quality....in modern times. The " X " Boat Roadster shown here was one of the stars of that show.

amelia%202011%201%20222-X2.jpg

amelia%202011%201%20222-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Wow.. That is a beautiful machine.
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    kithylin wrote: »

I definitely have to agree. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011

Amen to that.

Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 8, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    I definitely have to agree. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif

One day I'm going to have some of you folks with me when I go to one of these big shows. Y'all will get overcome with awe just like I do.

Tom
  • kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    One day I'm going to have some of you folks with me when I go to one of these big shows. Y'all will get overcome with awe just like I do.

Tom

any of these shows coming to texas this year?
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
    edited May 8, 2011
    any of these shows coming to texas this year?

The three top shows in the U.S. are Amelia Island ( North Florida ), Pebble Beach ( California ), and Meadow Brook ( near Detroit ). Those are permanent venues for those shows. These all have world-wide stature.

There are many shows of real significance ( regional, even big local ones, or maybe ones devoted to a single brand ) all over the country. There's bound to be some biggies in Texas....a little search on Google should turn up some good candidates for you.

Tom

P.S. The Meadow Brook show is, I believe, changing its name this year to The Concours d'Elegance of America and moving to Plymouth, Michigan. They needed more space than the old venue provided. I hope to make the show this year.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    That is one good looking machine.... And you did good job of capturing itclap.gif
    edited May 10, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    That is one good looking machine.... And you did good job of capturing itclap.gif

Thanks for your support, Gary. It's kind of hard to do wrong when you have such an array of makes and models....the most significant cars in the world....on your palette.

Tom
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    That is a very nice Duesey. I've taken tons of photos of it in Eckhart Park in Auburn. Believe it's won "Best Duesenberg" a few times at the Auburn Reunion once or twice.

Think the first time I saw it was around 2006 (at least according to my photos :D ) Here it is in the parade of classics, auburn, indiana
    edited May 10, 2011
    DJT wrote: »
    That is a very nice Duesey. I've taken tons of photos of it in Eckhart Park in Auburn. Believe it's won "Best Duesenberg" a few times at the Auburn Reunion once or twice.

Think the first time I saw it was around 2006 (at least according to my photos :D ) Here it is in the parade of classics, auburn, indiana

Hi David,

I figured you would have seen this beauty at sometime or another up in Auburn. No question, it's a stand-out example of that wonderful make of automobiles.

Tom