Options

Help With A Local Color Correction

jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
edited May 13, 2011 in Finishing School
rosesbigbleach%20copy-XL.png

I've been trying to fix the two flowers on the farthest right. Each has a petal that is green on the end. I've tried a variety of options from reducing the saturation (just turns the dark area gray) to using an adjustment layer that lightens the area.

Any ideas or tutorials that anyone think might help?

I've got CS4 and am trying out the entire NIK suite.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Might try clone with color (Mode set to Color).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Seminole DigitalSeminole Digital Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Try, going to Layers - New Adjustments - Hue & Saturation _ OK. Select green in pull down window - select droper and sample the green in the flower -the green should fade as you move the saturation slider to the left as desired.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 8, 2011
    Here is a version that had the green removed via a Hue Saturation layer like described by SeminoleDigital, and some color cloned back in with a brush set to Color Mode and using the pink from the middle of the image as Andrew suggested, and slight drop in the blue curve.

Is this more what you had in mind? When the green is killed, the dark tones still remain as dark tones as you described.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Thanks for the ideas. That was similar to what I was trying. The secret to what I wanted to achieve was using the magnetic lasso tool to get sharp lines at the edge of the selections on the petals to isolate changes to just the areas I was interested in. After selecting the area a Control-U brought up the adjustment dialog. I skewed the hue to the red/pink side and lightened up the selection. A layer mask then allowed me to brush in the effect selectively.

Not perfect, but a quick adjustment:

rosesbigbleachgreen%20copy-XL.png
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    If all you want to do is remove the green and leave everything else the same (contrast, other colors), there's a very easy way in LAB. Go to LAB, make a copy of the layer. In the top layer, select the A channel. Then use Apply Image to apply the background A channel inverted in lighten mode. This neutralizes anything green, and leaves anything red (magenta) alone, and does nothing with blues or yellows. It also doesn't change the contrast.

i-7SBJhMj.jpg
    John Bongiovanni