Options

Delkin USB 3.0 reader

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 5, 2011 in Accessories
I have purchased Delking USB 3.0 reader
(see more here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=196023)
It came last week, and with the Saturday shoot I couldn't have a better case to test it.
Unfortunately, it didn't work :-(
I don't know what exactly failed, but here is synopsis, maybe you guys can help me to figure it out.
Here is all the components involved:
  • Reader: Delkin Device
  • Motherboard: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD7 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 24 Phase Power ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Dolby Audio, Dual GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI [+180] (purchased as part of COBRA configuration from CyperPowerPC last November)
  • Cameras: Canon 5DMkII, Canon 7D
  • Memory cards: SanDisk Extreme III Compact Flash 16Gb 30MB/s
(Yes, I know that the cards are not UDMA, but I thought it would gracefully scale back)

So, here's what's happened:
  1. I hooked the reader to my PC via one of the two USB 3.0 port. It's been recognized, driver installed automatically in a few seconds, the blue light lit up
  2. I inserted the card. After a somewhat long pause (first use, I presume) the AutoPlay dialog came up, with the Adobe Bridge imported as default choice (the same as if USB2.0 were used)
  3. The content of the card appeared almost instantly (usually it takes a few seconds)
  4. I wanted to create a new folder so I went to the browse, which opened a standard "Select folder" Windows dialog.
  5. After I created a new folder, something happened, the import dialog stopped to respond. I heard a typical "device disconnected" sound, and the blue light oin the reader went off.
  6. No reinsterting the card or reattaching device helped.
  7. I restarted the machine :-(
  8. Hooked up device. The plue light lit up.
  9. Inserted the card. AutoPlay dialog came up, the card content showed up again (very quickly)
  10. I have chosen the target folder and clicked "Get Photos" button from the Bridge Import Dialog
  11. The import process began at a very fast rate, but a few seconds later it stopped (only 6 files were imported) and basically died again.
  12. I had to import the whole thing through the (now apparently rather slow) but still operational USB2.0 reader. :-(
Now, I understand that the card is "not up to speed". But at this point I'm not sure what do I do: return the device, exchange the device or purchase new cards. The latter is a bit on an expensive side, and while I have no problem with upgrading the cards, I'm not sure if this cures the issue.
My train of thought is that device should be able to read slower cards, so I'm not sure what exactly went wrong: the reader, the USB3.0 part of the motherboard or the cards.
Ideas, opinions?
TIA
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 8, 2011
    Have you tried just doing a straight copy from the card to the folder using Windows? Maybe Bridge can't keep up. Dunno. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    I think you should first insert the card in the reader, and then plugin the reader to your PC.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2011
    Thanks guys!
    1) tried Windows Explorer - same behaviour, dies a few seconds into the copy process :cry
    2) tried to insert the card before attaching the cable - no major difference
    3) it appears that it is the sustained reading activity that kills it. deal.gif
    The FAT (getting directory information, not accessing the actual fiels) can be read ok multiple times, attaching/detaching the reader or inserting/removing the card also doesn't break anything.

At this point I'm inclined to think it may be the slow card (although it doesn't make me feel good about the device that can read UDMA-only media). It'd be nice to be able to borrow a UDMA card and see if it's OK. Unfortunately, the cheapest good-for-nothing 4Gb one is about $60/ea (more than I paid for the device itself), and the decent 16Gb/32Gb once are about $200+..$300+/ea headscratch.gif Again, I wouldn't mind getting those, but if the setup doesn't work again (device? motherboard?) it'd be not a very smart move...:-(
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2011
    When (on a whim) I attached the device to USB2.0 port, it told me that it'd be working faster on the USB3.0 but proceeded to work and copy without any hiccups. Of course, it doesn't support any of the theories, but I thought I'd share...
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    I know mine works with flying colors, have you tried other memory cards. The reason I ask is, that mine won't read my Sandisk Extreme III 4GB CF card. It will read the Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s 8GB, Lexar 300x, transcend 300x 4GB CF cards and everything else I throw at it very very well.
    My MB uses, NEC usb controller, and properly installed drivers. Try re-installing your USB drivers.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    I know mine works with flying colors, have you tried other memory cards. The reason I ask is, that mine won't read my Sandisk Extreme III 4GB CF card. It will read the Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s 8GB, Lexar 300x, transcend 300x 4GB CF cards and everything else I throw at it very very well.
    My MB uses, NEC usb controller, and properly installed drivers. Try re-installing your USB drivers.

Ah, OK, good to know. thumb.gif
    Are your symptoms similar to mine? Does it die (stops responding) or throws a more specific error and keeps being available for a more appropriate media?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2011
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Ah, OK, good to know. thumb.gif
    Are your symptoms similar to mine? Does it die (stops responding) or throws a more specific error and keeps being available for a more appropriate media?
    Thanks!
    It says I have to format disk before using. When I do format, it only reads it as 32MB, it's a 4GB card. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2011
    It says I have to format disk before using. When I do format, it only reads it as 32MB, it's a 4GB card. ne_nau.gif

Hmm... I just tried to format my spare Kingston 8Gb x133 CF (from Windows Explorer) - format failed, light stopped blinkning after a few seconds, just like with the reads before... ne_nau.gifrolleyes
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2011
    Hmm... I just tried to format my spare Kingston 8Gb x133 CF (from Windows Explorer) - format failed, light stopped blinkning after a few seconds, just like with the reads before... ne_nau.gifrolleyes

might just get the card reader exchanged. :(:
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Delking USB 3.0 reader[...]driver installed automatically[...]Windows dialog[...]restarted the machine[...]AutoPlay dialog came up[...]died again.[...]I'm not sure[...]cures the issue.

Ideas, opinions?

I'm sorry Nikolai... but I saw the art in your msg and thought a little post work would bring it out better.

On a more serious attempt I would say that the combination of a USB driver that comes from a hardware manufacturer for MS Windows has been a problematic issue since USB was conceived. Very often it is the non-quality of the driver that is the problem.

Did the driver come with the reader or is it part of Windows? Try to find a newer version!

good luck,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    might just get the card reader exchanged. :(:

That's what I'm trying to decide, what part is faulty...
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    DeVerm wrote: »
    I'm sorry Nikolai... but I saw the art in your msg and thought a little post work would bring it out better.

On a more serious attempt I would say that the combination of a USB driver that comes from a hardware manufacturer for MS Windows has been a problematic issue since USB was conceived. Very often it is the non-quality of the driver that is the problem.

Did the driver come with the reader or is it part of Windows? Try to find a newer version!

good luck,
    Nick.
    Uhm, Windows detected the device and installed the driver automatically, it took like a couple of seconds...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,919 moderator
    edited May 9, 2011
    Uhm, Windows detected the device and installed the driver automatically, it took like a couple of seconds...

With Windows and USB it's very important to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Sometimes you need to install a driver first before plugging in the device. Sometimes it doesn't matter (if the device is designed to use a universal Windows storage driver, for instance.)

If the instructions should say to install their particular device driver before installation it's usually a very good idea to search the manufacturer's website for new/updated drivers first. Lots of issues are solved with updated driver sets.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    So your card is working on a USB 2.0 port, and not off a USB 3.0 port?
    Did you find any problems while on a USB 2.0 port?

If it works without any problems on the USB 2.0 port, it may be a firmware issue with either your computer USB 3.0 implementation, or with the belkin reader itself.

MY suggestion for now, buy a cheapo card reader(you get them for 5$) which is USB 2.0 and use it with your older cards.

Also check your laptop/system website and see if any driver upgrades are available for the controllers.

If you really want to debug, download and burn a Knoppix or kubuntu Live CD, boot into linux, and try your USB 3.0 port.
    If it works fine, it could be a driver issue. Future bug fix should fix that.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011

I just checked and it's supposed to use the Windows driver. It still sounds like a driver problem to me, or BIOS problem.

There's this detected hardware list in Windows that gives info like which driver is used etc. You can try to let Windows find an updated driver there.

Another option is to go into BIOS setup and check these USB3 ports. May be even reset to default settings.

good luck!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Delkin instructions just said "pulg it in", no special installation required.
    I'm going to test the device separately on another machine.
    Will report when I find something.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Delkin instructions just said "pulg it in", no special installation required.
    I'm going to test the device separately on another machine.
    Will report when I find something.

That's good as long as it's a different type/model computer.

I mentioned the BIOS because I can believe stuff like overclocking kills USB3 timing or IRQs are not or wrongly assigned. These would lead to the exact problem you describe (starts okay but crashes when starting high speed & high volume data transfers).

At this moment the probability that the problem is with the reader is 50%.

Don't forget to test with another CF card too!

good luck,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    That's good as long as it's a different type/model computer.

I mentioned the BIOS because I can believe stuff like overclocking kills USB3 timing or IRQs are not or wrongly assigned. These would lead to the exact problem you describe (starts okay but crashes when starting high speed & high volume data transfers).

At this moment the probability that the problem is with the reader is 50%.

Don't forget to test with another CF card too!

good luck,
    Nick.
    Yeah, I hear ya... My system is O/C-ed about 20%...
    So many components in play: BIOS.. frequency... motherboard... driver for controller... driver for device... device itself.. card...
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Don't over clock your system. Causes more problems than it's worth.
    Re-install your mother boards USB 3.0 drivers.
    It's Delkin not belkin!!!!!!!!!

The instructions says, "Plug n Play"
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Nikolai,

here's the latest USB3 driver for your motherboard (for Windows 7): http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_usb3.exe

hope it fixes your trouble.

For different OS or other drivers: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3527#dl

cheers,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Nikolai,

here's the latest USB3 driver for your motherboard (for Windows 7): http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_usb3.exe

hope it fixes your trouble.

For different OS or other drivers: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3527#dl

cheers,
    Nick.

Thanks Nick, much appreciated!
    I'll check it as soon as I get the device back (gave it to a friend with a working-USB3-for-sure machine for a test).
    Nikolai
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    So far:
    * gave the device to a friend with a working USB3.0 setup. Device worked on the older cards no problem (so, apparently, device is OK)
    * found and installed MB controller firmware update and latest controller driver (Nec/renesas)
    * still no luck. Copying dies a few seconds into the process.
    * Wrote to the Cyberpowerpc techsupport. We'll see...
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    So far:
    * gave the device to a friend with a working USB3.0 setup. Device worked on the older cards no problem (so, apparently, device is OK)
    * found and installed MB controller firmware update and latest controller driver (Nec/renesas)
    * still no luck. Copying dies a few seconds into the process.
    * Wrote to the Cyberpowerpc techsupport. We'll see...

Starts sounding like the overclocking more and more...

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    Starts sounding like the overclocking more and more...

ciao!
    Nick.

That's possible. However, I really don't want to lose CPU power over a couple of saved minutes per month...:-(
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    That's possible. However, I really don't want to use CPU power over a couple of saved minutes per month...:-(

Ah yes, overclocking has become accepted practise. But keep in mind that the manufacturer of the CPU states that overclocking will lead to problems (they would sell it for the higher frequency if it would be okay). This is wqhy overclockers and me will never agree :-)

However, I was never proven right before on this issue, so I assume there will be something else wrong, maybe the USB ports themselves, or you need a BIOS upgrade.

cheers,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    OC'ing can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems. Many are never a issue, sometimes not.

Try not defualy your clock speeds and see it that fixes the problem. Humor it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 11, 2011
    OC'ing can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems. Many are never a issue, sometimes not.

Try not defualy your clock speeds and see it that fixes the problem. Humor it.

Yeah, I think you ought to try it just to help diagnose the problem. If it turns out to be the cause, then you can make the choice of whether upload speed or day-to-day processing is more important to you. Over-clocking is fine as long as it works, but you can't blame the manufacturer if it doesn't. I hope you have some good temperature monitoring stuff in place and are keeping an eye on it; thermal damage can be cumulative.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Hey Nik, it's not too hard to turn off the OC and test is it? Most MBs make it really easy now.

You can also try plugging in a USB 2.0 card reader into the USB 3.0 port and see if it works... not sure if you did that or not.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2011
    OK, I went from 160x24=3.84GHz down to 160x20=3.2GHz, which, methinks, is a default value for my CPU.
    This time the reader held for a few seconds longer and copied 45 files instead of 7..12, but in the end it died with the same symptoms: the process stopped, blue light went off, etc. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    It "feels" like bad hardware to me. Either the USB 3.0 controller or just the physical connection of the ports to the MB.
    Chris