What is with this purple?

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited May 12, 2011 in Cameras
This is the 2nd time this happened...

218532_654811989372_1110811_35232348_6174384_o-L.jpg

What's with the purple fringing? I bet there has been a thread on this somewhere, but not sure where it is..
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 8, 2011
    I don't believe this is "purple fringing". I suspect that this is a memory card with bad shielding. Try another memory card.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    IMMEDIATELY stop using that memory card until we get to the bottom of this.

First of all, can you re-download the image from the card and get a clean image? Can you format the card, run a recovery program, and get a clean image?

Secondly, which memory card are you using, where did you buy the card, and did it come with a lifetime warranty? I don't ask about the lifetime warranty for the reason you would think, the memory card may or may not need to be warrantied. HOWEVER, the reason I ask is because cards with a lifetime warranty, especially from name-brand companies and from reputable dealers, are WAY higher quality than any memory card that only has a 1-5 year warranty. Again, it has nothing to do with being able to get warranty service in ~6 years, honestly you shouldn't even still be shooting with a card you bought six years ago, compact flash cards usually only have a "lifespan" of 100,000 clicks. The only reason I advise buying lifetime warranty cards is because the warranty means it is the cream of the crop, and 99.9% of the time, a corruption will be recoverable. Most of the time you have a corrupt card, it is only ONE image that is the "bad apple", the rest of the images on the card are just fine. The camera is just being SMART to tell you "hey, something's not right here..."

Good luck recovering the image! :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • www.SGphoto.uswww.SGphoto.us Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    how exactly could you recover a bad image by formatting?

i had a cheap card go corrupt on me a while back, i've never used cheap cards again since then. it'd still be pretty usefull to know how to save a corrupt image though.
    My Website:www.SGphoto.us
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    how exactly could you recover a bad image by formatting?

i had a cheap card go corrupt on me a while back, i've never used cheap cards again since then. it'd still be pretty usefull to know how to save a corrupt image though.

File recovery tools can find files even after formatting. what he is suggesting is to format in order to 'clean' the card of corruption, and then use a recovery tool to recover the files.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva is a good one
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    I've run into this in Lightroom. When it happens, I've always been able to delete the image and redownload from the card. When I did, sometimes the jpeg preview would show the corruption, but zooming to 100% showed the image was undamaged.

I have only seen this in lightroom, was unable to reproduce it in Aperture (trial mode) or Bibble Light.
  • www.SGphoto.uswww.SGphoto.us Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    interesting
    My Website:www.SGphoto.us