I think I killed the sensor on my D90

MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited May 10, 2011 in Cameras
Check out this picture for to shoe the sheer number of hot pixels I have when taking high(ish) iso pictures. Here's an example:

dsc_9522-L.jpg

If you check out the high res here, you can really see just how bad it is: http://mav21.smugmug.com/Travel/Maldives-2011/i-qVj29Gk/0/O/dsc_9522.jpg

I know I can post process to get rid of these... but is there nothing I can do to get this fixed?

The camera is only a couple years old with maybe 15,000 actuations, but it has seen some tough conditions ranging from winter in Norway and Russia (-15 degree F) to a couple weeks in Morocco (highs of 135 degrees F in the desert), as well as over 5000 miles on the motorbike... so maybe I killed it :cry

Comments

• AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    You may have some dust. Do you have a bulb air blower? Try blowing the dust off the lens and in the camera. Or made just need a full cleaning if that does not get it.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    That's not dust.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Whoa! That looks like the night sky! I think I see the big dipper. :-P

Unfortunately, the best thing to do is to just send it in to Nikon for service. It shouldn't cost too much to have the pixels mapped out...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Whoa! That looks like the night sky! I think I see the big dipper. :-P

Unfortunately, the best thing to do is to just send it in to Nikon for service. It shouldn't cost too much to have the pixels mapped out...

=Matt=

If you look closely, you can see the new and improved, multi colour, plough too :D

When I asked the guys at the Nikon stand at B&H, they told me there was nothing I could do about it.... so to get it serviced, I should get in touch with Nikon directly, and they can take care of it? Any idea how much it should cost?
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Mav wrote: »
    If you look closely, you can see the new and improved, multi colour, plough too :D

When I asked the guys at the Nikon stand at B&H, they told me there was nothing I could do about it.... so to get it serviced, I should get in touch with Nikon directly, and they can take care of it? Any idea how much it should cost?
    No less than $100, probably no more than $200 unless other "tune-ups" are required... (with that much wear and tear, they might need to replace the shutter altogether, or something else...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • www.SGphoto.uswww.SGphoto.us Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    use as an excuse to buy a d7000
    My Website:www.SGphoto.us
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    No less than $100, probably no more than $200 unless other "tune-ups" are required... (with that much wear and tear, they might need to replace the shutter altogether, or something else...)

=Matt=

Thanks! thumb.gif
    use as an excuse to buy a d7000

The thought had crossed my mind mwink.gif