Options

What is a Normal KBPS Speed?

124»

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Sara, run the test from http://smugmug.speedtest.net and choose our server in California.

From home or neighbor's?

Can't get back there until tomorrow.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    And yes, it was run off of speedtest.com.

How do you run a test of SM servers?

edit - oh, got it. run it from the above link.

edit2 - no, I don't got it. afaik, I'm simply testing my own internet connection.
    You still use speedtest.net, just choose san francisco for the test site. It should say sponsored by Smugmug, then you've chosen the right one. Let the test run and you'll know how fast stuff can get to SM.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Okay, I see what to do (what a funny little graphicrolleyes1.gif).

But I think I know the answer - when Comcast comes knocking tomorrow, I'm gonna let him in.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    From home or neighbor's?

Can't get back there until tomorrow.
    Try both. :D Then you'll know what you're getting now and what you can get with Comcast.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Another thing I want to throw out there - I was reminded while talking to Sean - a fine lad, btw - that there are at this moment 1,000s of Smug Muggers uploading 1,000s of photos at lightning speeds, and four people, counting me, complaining about up-load speeds. Just a little perspective.
    Most people won't notice that they're going slow, they'll just accept it thinking it's normal.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Damon016 wrote: »
    I have the power but im not going to individually create folders/albums/or drag over to 100 different folders. That is asinine!

I have speed, it's just not using it properly here... SE is the only thing that makes sense. It's like a Ferrari (pretty from the outside) just not dependable. (IE. crashing, not getting things up correctly, logs not working right) blah blah blah!
    Fast, reliable, multi-gallery uploading to SM is a true challenge. Just ask jfriend as he knows this problem better than anyone.

If you're using lightroom, there's a plugin that can upload directly to SM. This may be a solution. Otherwise, you are actually a bit stuck. You've just got volume that overwhelms any type of current workflow. :cry

One suggestion that may not work for you, but does for me is to upload everything to one gallery and then just move it in SM. This way, you can simply let it upload overnight and then spend a day sorting everything out. Definitely less than ideal, but maybe a solution. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    I have the power but im not going to individually create folders/albums/or drag over to 100 different folders. That is asinine!
    That's why S*E has auto album creation feature, which you have apprently mastered mwink.gif
    SE is the only thing that makes sense.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif :ivar
    It's like a Ferrari (pretty from the outside) just not dependable. (IE. crashing, not getting things up correctly, logs not working right) blah blah blah!
    Agree on more accounts than one:
    • just like an F1 Ferrari, S*E is not for everyone
    • just like an F1 Ferrari, S*E has to be maintained
    • just like an F1 Ferrari, S*E is built for performance, not for the number of cup holders or a luxury sitting
    • just like an F1 Ferrari, you have to know how to drive it to its best performance
    • just like an F1 Ferrari, S*E can be crashed (more likely than a Prius)
    • just like an F1 Ferrari can crash but save its driver, S*E can crash but will always preserve your files in the queue
    • just like an F1 Ferrari, S*E is the fastest thing on the block
    deal.gifmwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2011
    Nikolai wrote: »
    • just like an F1 Ferrari can crash but save its driver, S*E can crash but will always preserve your files in the queue
    • just like an F1 Ferrari, S*E is the fastest thing on the block
    I disagree with these two points. If SE doesn't work correctly, it won't preserve files. And even if it does, there are times when it will still lose them, although quite rarely.

And speed...well, I think the new SM Simple uploader has it beat. I'm pushing 9Mb via 3 upload sessions as I type. No configuring, no tweaking, just fire up three of them. SE's got it's hands full keeping up with that.
  • Options
    Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Agree with both of which you said. Not the fastest, nor the most dependable. For every 5 times I fire it up, it works twice. If you have over 4000 files (forget about it...) Plenty of quad core computing power, and it's still sluggish..

I love the features, just wish it was dependable AND Didn't lose files which does happen on my end quite a bit.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    I disagree with these two points. If SE doesn't work correctly, it won't preserve files. And even if it does, there are times when it will still lose them, although quite rarely.

And speed...well, I think the new SM Simple uploader has it beat. I'm pushing 9Mb via 3 upload sessions as I type. No configuring, no tweaking, just fire up three of them. SE's got it's hands full keeping up with that.

Samir,
    * if you don't have S*E running, how can it hurt your files?
    * if you don't have S*E running, how can you tell its speed?
    S*E can saturate any bandwidth (at least up to 100Mbps up or so - I never had a chance to be on a Gbps connection) without breaking a sweat, given it's properly setup and configured.
    Nikolai
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2011
    Agree with both of which you said. Not the fastest, nor the most dependable. For every 5 times I fire it up, it works twice. If you have over 4000 files (forget about it...) Plenty of quad core computing power, and it's still sluggish..

I love the features, just wish it was dependable AND Didn't lose files which does happen on my end quite a bit.

S*E can not lose files, unless you're talking very severe power interruptions or HDD corruption. It's in its core design. You can force it to forfeit them, but that's always an operator's choice.

As for when it works and how fast it is: you can't expect to show up at Daytona for the fist time in your life and take the first prize, beating the guys who did it for decades.
    It's not the car, it's how you use it. S*E needs tuning and correct usage.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2011
    S*E can not lose files, unless you're talking very severe power interruptions or HDD corruption. It's in its core design. You can force it to forfeit them, but that's always an operator's choice.

As for when it works and how fast it is: you can't expect to show up at Daytona for the fist time in your life and take the first prize, beating the guys who did it for decades.

Sorry to burst your bubble or hurt your egorolleyes1.gif but it does and has. No corruption nor power outages since all of my home systems are on battery backups. The program itself has crashed and upon coming up (files WERE) several numbers less than what was there. One time it came up 100 short of the previous... I had to delete ALL of my folders and start all over again. Dev's at SM can verify that. I am not sure "what happened" but I can say this. The system that is running this is a fresh image of windows 7 32 ultimate - with nothing on it other than a firewall, and antivirus... I use it strictly to upload files...
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011

I've had SE freeze (UI completely unresponsive). I had to kill the process and when I restarted it, the queue was gone. It can lose stuff in the queue. It doesn't usually happen for me, but I had to delete everything that had been uploaded so far and start over in order to make sure I got exactly one of everything uploaded. If you want to look for bugs that can lead to this, in my case it was triggered by trying to pause/stop the current upload so my bandwidth could be used for other things for a little while. SE failed to do that gracefully.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    I've had SE freeze (UI completely unresponsive). I had to kill the process and when I restarted it, the queue was gone. It can lose stuff in the queue. It doesn't usually happen for me, but I had to delete everything that had been uploaded so far and start over in order to make sure I got exactly one of everything uploaded. If you want to look for bugs that can lead to this, in my case it was triggered by trying to pause/stop the current upload so my bandwidth could be used for other things for a little while. SE failed to do that gracefully.
    15524779-Ti.gif It also just froze randomly, then after the 3 failed restarts it came back up missing 3 to 100 files.. Happened a few times.. =/
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2011
    Samir,
    * if you don't have S*E running, how can it hurt your files?
    * if you don't have S*E running, how can you tell its speed?
    S*E can saturate any bandwidth (at least up to 100Mbps up or so - I never had a chance to be on a Gbps connection) without breaking a sweat, given it's properly setup and configured.
    Nikolai
    I didn't mean losing the files completely, just the queue.

I've done extensive tests with SE in the brief moments it's worked. It was on par, but not faster. And SM's new uploaders are much faster than anything besides FTP. We've worked on trying to get SE to work for me, but it just plain doesn't like me because it failed on almost a dozen computers, 2 ISPs, and 3 operating systems. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Thank you for the clarification. I knew you had faced this scenario before, but didn't know the exact details. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif It also just froze randomly, then after the 3 failed restarts it came back up missing 3 to 100 files.. Happened a few times.. =/
    Interesting you guys mention freezing like this. That's exactly what it would do for me, sometimes never even uploading a single file. It would always lose the queue.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    Okay, I'm back.

I've got Comcast now=5mbps upload speeds. It's awesome. I haven't uploaded any 6gb weddings yet, but the 42 images (5D) I uploaded earlier today went very quickly, half an hour or so. The videos I uploaded to Vimeo last night also went very quickly. It's great.

Anyway, I'm very happy. :D
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    That's some sweet upload bandwidth. thumb.gif If you can imagine, I have three of those. iloveyou.gif

And I was finally able to max out all three by using 5 simple uploader sessions simultaneously. I've never been able to do that before except via smugftp. It still took 2hrs to upload everything. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    That's some sweet upload bandwidth. thumb.gif If you can imagine, I have three of those. iloveyou.gif

And I was finally able to max out all three by using 5 simple uploader sessions simultaneously. I've never been able to do that before except via smugftp. It still took 2hrs to upload everything. rolleyes1.gif

Sounds great, Samir!:D