Help, used Canon 30D black points

artelauriartelauri Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited May 12, 2011 in Cameras
I just bought a used Canon 30D from a good friend. I have carefully gone over it with the manual step by step. There appears to be two black points on every photography.(on the view screen and when I download them on the computer). I have carefully cleaned (lenses) anything that could cause this including the view screen. Do you have any idea what this could be or could this be a defect in the camera?
It also looks like there are very faint spots as well. Making it look like it had been dropped in water? Or maybe water inside somehow?
Would prefer to find out if it is a simple fix?
Thank you very much.
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\xp\My Documents\My Pictures\Enrique's camera[/IMG]

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 9, 2011
    Please post links to a couple of full-sized images demonstrating the problems. What you are describing could be a couple of different things.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • artelauriartelauri Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2011
    C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Cxp%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CEnrique%27s%20cameraC:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Cxp%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CEnrique%27s%20camera
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Please post links to a couple of full-sized images demonstrating the problems. What you are describing could be a couple of different things.
    I hope I inserted the photos correctly. I am doing this for my husband. He is the photographer. The second image is of the sky and you can clearly see the black specks, the first image is a blow up of the black specks.
    Not sure if it is dust on the sensor or something else.
    Really appreciate all of your help.
    It is scary to have a new camera that you thought was great and has problems. Not a problem if we can fix it. And so grateful that you might be able to point us in the right direction.
    Thank you
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 9, 2011
    artelauri wrote: »
    C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Cxp%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CEnrique%27s%20cameraC:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Cxp%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CEnrique%27s%20camera
    I hope I inserted the photos correctly. I am doing this for my husband. He is the photographer. The second image is of the sky and you can clearly see the black specks, the first image is a blow up of the black specks.
    Not sure if it is dust on the sensor or something else.
    Really appreciate all of your help.
    It is scary to have a new camera that you thought was great and has problems. Not a problem if we can fix it. And so grateful that you might be able to point us in the right direction.
    Thank you
    I don't see your pics. headscratch.gifHow To Post on Dgrin
    edited May 9, 2011
    Sorry, the images are not showing. If you can post the original, full sized JPG images (preferably with full EXIF) to a website and then give us the links to those images, that would be best.
    ziggy53
    edited May 9, 2011
    C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Cxp%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CEnrique%27s%20camera
    Ok, I posted the photo here using Digital Grin insert photo option. But not luck. So, I went to my settings and used the photo in question as my photo in the profile section.
    Can't think of any other way to have you see it. Maybe facebook???
    Anyway. Here is the link to facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/?sk=lf
    Here is a closer look of the same photo. The camera lenses have been cleaned. This was on the very first photo taken at our friends house the day we looked at the camera and is in every single photo in the exact same places. We have been meticulously careful with the settings in order to try to figure out what could be wrong. Thank you so much for your help!

222698_2037440053589_1171875250_2508268_4739689_s.jpg

<form rel="async" class="live_2037440053589_131325686911214 commentable_item collapsed_comments autoexpand_mode" method="post" action="/ajax/ufi/modify.php" data-live="{"seq":0}"><input name="charset_test" value="€,´,€,´,水,Д,Є" type="hidden"><input autocomplete="off" name="post_form_id" value="a99979f24bb5a6ce2d5ebe1cb6df5358" type="hidden"><input name="fb_dtsg" value="8_xWW" autocomplete="off" type="hidden"><input autocomplete="off" name="feedback_params" value="{"actor":"1171875250","target_fbid":"2037440053589","target_profile_id":"1171875250","type_id":"7","source":"1","assoc_obj_id":"","source_app_id":"","extra_story_params":[],"content_timestamp":"1304956778","check_hash":"545de6a8a22472db"}" type="hidden"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2037440053589&set=a.1167404063233.2026342.1171875250&type=1&comments"><abbr title="Monday, May 9, 2011 at 10:59am" data-date="Mon, 09 May 2011 08:59:39 -0700" class="timestamp">35 seconds ago</abbr> · <button class="like_link stat_elem as_link" title="Like this item" type="submit" name="like">LikeUnlike</button> · <label class="uiLinkButton comment_link" title="Leave a comment"><input value="Comment" type="button"></label> · Share

</form>
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Sorry, the images are not showing. If you can post the original, full sized JPG images (preferably with full EXIF) to a website and then give us the links to those images, that would be best.
    edited May 9, 2011
    That image appears to be showing dust and stuff on the sensor. Either take the camera to a camera store with a repair department for sensor cleaning, return the camera to Canon for cleaning or refer to these links for proper treatment yourself:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101443

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=183351

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8350&page=11
    ziggy53
    edited May 9, 2011
    Recomendations for a semi professional camera
    OK, thanks to the wonders of the internet, it is the sensor that is dirty!
    After doing research, which should have been done earlier, the cost of the camera is quite a bit more then it should reflect for a 5 or 6 year old camera. Add on the cost to have it cleaned and decided to return the camera.
    Thank goodness we were lucky enough to get the money back.

So, now we are looking for semi professional camera. It is for my husband and he has taken his current camera to it's limits and does want a bit of a challenge. We thought the Canon EOS 30D would be that camera, but not this one. (there were a few other details not worth taking time to discuss).
    He will use it almost daily, in all hours of the day, for events and stills.
    I doubt he will ever buy a used camera again, although I am open to that.

So, I guess the second phase of this saga, is if there are any recommendations we would be very happy to hear them!
    Thankswings.gif
    edited May 9, 2011
    A dSLR is part of a camera "system". Lighting really should be a top consideration, followed by lenses and then the body and other accessories.

Technique and individual style also plays a large part in any photographic endeavor.

What experience does he have with SLR type cameras?

Is this to be an income?

Weddings in addition to other events?

Any other types of photography? ("Stills" is not very definitive.)

The more you can explain your husband's situation and needs the better we can help. I would caution that this can be a very expensive hobby and a more expensive profession. It can also be one of the more rewarding things in life, or a terrible trial.

Please do encourage your husband to post here himself as well.
    ziggy53
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Why not just clean the sensor yourself? A simple rocket blower will sometimes do the trick, and that costs under $20. If that doesn't work then a dry brush would most likely work, and those are cheap too.

The 30D is a fine camera; it sounds to me like it just needs a quick cleaning thumb.gif
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Why not just clean the sensor yourself? A simple rocket blower will sometimes do the trick, and that costs under $20. If that doesn't work then a dry brush would most likely work, and those are cheap too.

The 30D is a fine camera; it sounds to me like it just needs a quick cleaning thumb.gif

true, it's easy to clean a DSLR sensor if that is the only problem. But personally - I would get a newer model!