Options

Ranking relative difficulties of shooting different sports

Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited January 28, 2012 in Sports
So recently, I've decided I want to branch out and learn more about sports photography. I started shooting roller derby bouts because a friend of mine was on the team, and it's been a lot of fun so naturally I'd like to expand to other sports.
I was thinking of different sports and trying to hypothesize how difficult they would be to shoot. So what I'm hoping here is if you guys that do have experience with these sports could tell me how close to (or far from) the mark my assumptions are. My 1 to 10 scale of difficulty is relative, based only against the other sports on the scale.

1 point of difficulty:
Bowling: you know exactly where the action is going to be ahead of time. At the line during the release, and down at the pins when the ball hits. The ball doesn't travel very fast and the bowlers make a slow, rhythmic approach to the line.

2 points:
Tennis: The court isn't that big and I think if you can get a spot by the net you can cover both sides without any super long glass, and the action is easy to predict, the ball goes from one side to another and the action alternates with it.
Unique challenge: serves are really damn fast.

3 points:
Boxing/MMA/other martial arts: I'm thinking these are easy because the ring is small, there's only 2 people competing at a time, and they have to be in close proximity to have any action going on. The action is more spontaneous. You never know what punch is going to be a powerhouse until it's too late so you almost have to try to shoot them all.

4 points:
Volleyball: getting in to team sports now, that means the action can jump from one person to another but in volleyball at least the court is smaller than, say, basketball.

5 points:
Basketball: Speaking of... the court is bigger, and most of the action is going to happen around the baskets at either end, so it seems like you'd have to pick a side to cover and deal with the fact that you'll be missing action or shooting really loose on the other side.
Unique difficulty: if you can't get a spot behind the net and are shooting from the sidelines, whenever a player is shooting on your side their back will be to you.

6 points:
Hockey: the puck is tiny and travels fast compared to a basketball, making it harder to get a good context shot with the puck and a player in sync.
Unique difficult: in amateur hockey, the glass around the rink is probably like 20 years old and covered in scratches, so it might be hard to find a spot where the glass isn't an interference.

7 points:
Baseball: I shot a high school baseball game this past weekend. The field is really big and I'd imagine you need a serious arsenal of glass to cover a lot of it well. I was posted up between the plate and first, so I could get the batter, pitcher and first just fine, but 2nd and 3rd were starting to get a little loose, and the outfield... forget it. Pitches and bat swings move pretty fast.

8 points:
Golf: pretty much by definition, you're going to miss the majority of the action. You can only cover one hole at a time, so you're missing what's going on on 17 other holes at a given moment. You can either choose to follow a single golfer around all day or set up camp at a single hole, but either way you miss most of it.
Unique difficulty: you have to watch other people play golf for hours.

9 points:
Motor sports (especially something like F1): This exacerbates some of the difficulties of shooting other sports. The tracks can be huge, and you won't even have a clear line of sight at most of it. You have to pick a good spot and stay there as you won't be able to follow a driver, you'll be missing a lot of action on other parts of the track. Also, by definition everything is going really fast. At least if it's car racing you have a large subject.

10 points:
Sky diving. You have to jump out of a freaking plane.

Comments

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Remember this, anything in daylight is easier than anything at night or inside. Shooting sports has a lot to do with access. If you have it, things are easier. Without it, it is much harder if not impossible to get really good shots.

I think motorsports are pretty easy. Maybe right there with bowling. Things are moving relatively slow and predictably. There are also other opportunities to shoot it. Such as practice. You can pick your spot and plan for the action to be there. And it is possible to get good shots from the stands with the right equipment and position. One thing you can not do is be everywhere at once.

Overall, MMA has been the hardest thing to shoot. Horrible light, no flash, and very fast unpredictable action from multiple angles. You might be watching the upper body when a kick comes from no where. There might be something awesome going on and the ref steps in the way. Then there is the beloved fence to deal with. Shooting over it helps, but again this comes with access. The cage is also pretty big. Big enough to cause some issues with lens choices. And makes 2 bodies almost mandatory. Boxing has all of these issues too. Ropes can be a pain. But not as bad as a fence. The ring is also much smaller, and the action is slower and more predictable than MMA. But it has a huge problem. In amateur fights, they have head gear on. Tough to see faces with headgear on! Grappling events have been tough too. Very bad light in gymnasiums and very unpredictable action. It is a sport you need to at least understand to get good shots. It is hard to see who is winning and what is "REALLY" going on.

I have nothing to say about team sports. I have never shot any. But there are a few things that at first glance seem easier to me. #1 is a ball. Action goes where the ball goes. Flash becomes an option with some of these sports as well. This offers some more options all around.

Can't wait to hear what others say here!
  • Options
    TmetroffTmetroff Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    I agree with Zerodog. MMA is actually pretty hard to photograph, especially if you dont have a press pass to get up close! You deal with crap indoor lighting, and you have to have a fast shutter speed because of how fast they are throwing punches (meaning a flash is needed).
    As for Motorsports it all depends on if you are shooting indoors, outdoors, TT races, motocross, supercross, etc.
    Golf I found to be pretty easy when I photographed for a local newspaper. You just talk to the coaches (they are pretty easy to spot) and they will tell you what hole they are at, and also as a side note its one of the few sports you can drink and drive.. I will photograph golf any day!

Thats my 2 cents, I would have talked about all of them but I have to study for more finals!

You do bring up many good valid points though, was interesting to read!

-Tyler
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Every sport has it's challenges. There's also a huge difference between getting a snapshot and making a compelling sports image. A big part of sports is the background. Sometimes, a sport that is relatively "easy" to photograph in terms of predicting the action is made very difficult because of the distracting backgrounds. For example, here's a very typical "sportrait" style shot of a soccer player. Nothing amazing about being able to predict the shot. But the shot works because the background is clean. The same shot with a porta-potty or cars in the background would look terrible. Trying to deal with those backgrounds can drastically restrict where you shoot from or the types of shots you take. But making those decisions is the difference between getting a nice snapshot and making a quality photo.

Now, let's take bowling. Sure it's predictable. But, try and make compelling sports photos of a bowler. THAT is a challenge.

It's also worth mentioning too that different sports have different equipment needs. There is no one-lens-does-it-all solution. A 70-200 2.8 can work for basketball (w/o strobes) IF your camera body has good ISO 3200-6400 performance. But that lens is woefully short for full-field baseball or soccer - even if shooting from the field. Any sport is also made more difficult when there are restrictions on where you can shoot from. So, it's easier to make compelling images from a pop-warner football game where you can get right on the sideline vs. the NFL shooting from 40 yards off field in the stands.
    184733449_TX9jS-L.jpg
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Laughing.gif, this may become the all time longest running thread on here. And by the way - My sports harder than your sport:ivar
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    You forgot Football!
  • Options
    PatLovellPatLovell Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Here are some sports I cover that were left off the list.

Soccer, Football, Water Polo, Field Hockey, Rugby, Cycling, Track and Field, Swimming and Diving, Wrestling and Rowing

As was mentioned, the difficulty lies in the venue. Most NCAA and HS venues have terrible lighting. You need to use either strobes or shoot on extremely high ISO's and fast glass which seriously increases the difficulty of the sport.

Shooting any sport is about gaining access, having the right equipment and the knowledge of the sport you are covering.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Lacrosse?!?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    I think HS football - at night - in the rain, ranks right up there. Terrible cycling lights, pinpoint amounts of light on parts of the field and limited access.

Fun game!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Zanotti wrote: »
    I think HS football - at night - in the rain, ranks right up there. Terrible cycling lights, pinpoint amounts of light on parts of the field and limited access.

Z

Got to agree with that one.

Also, I find volleyball harder than basketball. Mainly because that net and the poles are in the way all the time and it is harder to get faces without shhoting thru or around the net.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Agree with other folks that responded already... Indoor sports much harder than virtually any outdoor daytime sports. Volleyball is a lot harder to shoot than basketball. Motor sports is about as easy as it gets.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2011
    Yes, I left plenty of sports off the list (even my beloved roller derby). I wanted to try to come up with 2 or 3 sports for each point but just writing that first post as-is took me like 40 minutes, cut me some slack.
    So it seems the general consensus so far: MMA is harder than I assumed. Motor sports is easier. Indoor anything is harder than outdoor anything (unless it's night/raining). To be honest I wasn't thinking much about lighting conditions when I wrote the list (can you tell?) probably since with roller derby, the lighting has always sucked so I guess my sports photo 'training' has been dealing with that from day 1.
    Also, I like the term 'sportrait.' That definitely describes a good chunk (maybe 20-25%?) of my derby shots. No action, but the girls love seeing them, so I keep shooting them.

I'm still waiting for someone to show up and tell me how easy sky diving is.
  • Options
    tjl1388tjl1388 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Competitive Cheerleading.

20-30 Girls, 2.5mins in a high speed, high ISO environment. Every mom want's their kid in at least one shot even if her kid is a non tumbling base that never sees the front of the mat.
  • Options
    73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Gringriff wrote: »
    Got to agree with that one.

Also, I find volleyball harder than basketball. Mainly because that net and the poles are in the way all the time and it is harder to get faces without shhoting thru or around the net.

I agree . . . AND you don't know exactly where the action is going to take place. The setters do more than "deek" the opponents out . . . many a time I missed a great "kill" attempt because I had the camera focused on the wrong hitter.

Easiest? Track and Field. Outside, you know what's going to happen, when its going to happen, and where its going to happen.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited May 18, 2011
    Something you haven't listed is knowledge of a sport. If you don't understand and can't follow a game, it will be difficult to photograph well.

As far as skydiving goes, if you're an accomplished skydiver then it's just look and bite for the shot lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    tjl1388 wrote: »
    Competitive Cheerleading.

20-30 Girls, 2.5mins in a high speed, high ISO environment. Every mom want's their kid in at least one shot even if her kid is a non tumbling base that never sees the front of the mat.

DSC5708-M.jpg

Yep, dance is the same way. Lots of subjects, no time, horrible light, and bad backgrounds.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Something you haven't listed is knowledge of a sport. If you don't understand and can't follow a game, it will be difficult to photograph well.

As far as skydiving goes, if you're an accomplished skydiver then it's just look and bite for the shot lol3.gif

I do get the high importance of knowing a sport well to photograph it, being able to better predict what might happen next rather than just looking around and trying to react to something happening, but do you think there's a significant scale of difficulty in learning different sports from a spectator/photographer point of view?

Yea, if it's a sport you've grown up watching or playing it will be easier than if it's some sport you've never heard of. But let's just say we find someone who has never seen a basketball or football game ever in their lives and has to learn everything about them both from scratch. Would it be harder to learn enough about football than basketball (place any two sports you want in to this paragraph)?
    Seems to me that things would be relatively similar, so 'knowledge of the game' is kind of a constant coefficient in the equation of difficulty.
    Again, I'm hypothesizing.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited May 18, 2011
    A lot of sports are similar. But let's say you're at a football game. If you can't figure out who is eligible to receive the football, it will make shooting the game "interesting" for you. Even the way players interact with one another.

I think once you get the basics down, it would be easier. As far as which would be easier to learn on the fly? I'm not sure. There are nuances of each that are important.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    But let's just say we find someone who has never seen a basketball or football game ever in their lives and has to learn everything about them both from scratch. Would it be harder to learn enough about football than basketball (place any two sports you want in to this paragraph)?

Yes it would be much harder to learn about and shoot football - and catch the main action. One big reason is basketball has 5 players per side while football has 11. In basketball, in most teams all the players are usually involved in the ball action pretty quick and it does not take long figure out who the go to guy is if that is what you want to get. With football you could go half a game and the top receiver not make a catch but then make the play of the game. Without prior knowledge you likely never catch it.
    Andy
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    73Rocks wrote: »
    I agree . . . AND you don't know exactly where the action is going to take place. The setters do more than "deek" the opponents out . . . many a time I missed a great "kill" attempt because I had the camera focused on the wrong hitter.

Easiest? Track and Field. Outside, you know what's going to happen, when its going to happen, and where its going to happen.

Rocks,
    I know what you mean about tracking the "right" player in volleyball.

I agree to about the tack and field although I only tried it once, I can see how it would be easy to figure out where to be and predict what will happen where. The problem I had was it went from sunny to cloudy to bad lights on as a storm was rolling in.

Hope to try it again sometime.
    Andy
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    Gringriff wrote: »
    Yes it would be much harder to learn about and shoot football - and catch the main action. One big reason is basketball has 5 players per side while football has 11. In basketball, in most teams all the players are usually involved in the ball action pretty quick and it does not take long figure out who the go to guy is if that is what you want to get. With football you could go half a game and the top receiver not make a catch but then make the play of the game. Without prior knowledge you likely never catch it.

Yea, I'm seeing that being the case for our hypothetical photographer just showing up at either game with no knowledge, but what if he's studious and decides to watch a bunch of games of each before hand? Study time, if you will. Do you think, say, intently watching 20 hours of basketball would prepare you better than watching 20 hours of football? Would you need to watch 21 hours of football to be as up to speed? 30 hours? That's what I'm wondering now, if there is a gap in the learning curves of 2 sports, how big is the gap? Slightly more effort or way more effort?

Sorry if I'm trying to be too quantitative with things, I'm an engineer that plays a lot of poker, I can be obnoxiously analytical. And I am definitely appreciating everyone's input in this thread so far.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    Do you think, say, intently watching 20 hours of basketball would prepare you better than watching 20 hours of football? Would you need to watch 21 hours of football to be as up to speed? 30 hours? That's what I'm wondering now, if there is a gap in the learning curves of 2 sports, how big is the gap? Slightly more effort or way more effort?

Well for basketball a few hours should be a plenty. There is so many opportunities in a game of basketball to get some nice action if the athletes are of high caliber (tall, fast, can dunk etc...).

But with football there still may be only a few great offensive plays per game. So there I think you need more specifics about the teams playing in addition to the sport while basketball you can pick it up more quickly just watching the flow of the game.
    Andy
  • Options
    SnapLocallySnapLocally Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    I'll echo what a few others here have said: MMA can be extremely difficult because of how cheap most promoters can be. There's usually poor to very poor lighting in the smaller shows, one-sided action which makes for short fights, the action can be all over the place, flash is not allowed, and if you've never shot through linked fencing, you're in for a surprise.

Boxing is also difficult to shoot *properly*. The unexperienced can shoot a whole event and not catch one landed blow. And as with MMA, lighting can vary wildly from event to event.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I have done a fair few sports and some are definately harder than others.
    Motor car track racing I think is pretty easy. They go in one predictable direction. They don't go up and down or side to side, just relatively straight lines at predictable speed.

Top fuelers are the hardest motor sport I have done just through the sheer speed. the main shots are as they leave the line and with the acceleration rates you are real lucky to get 3 frames in from the front and that depends on your reaction time even if you are watching the christmas tree.

kids soccer and football can be a challenge. Of ten lots of erractic movement ad you know which way they are trying to go but its far from the single direction they take. Lots of up and down movement as well and other people to get in the way of the real action.

For me, by far the hardest thing I have shot is cheerleading.
    For a start it's indoor but here in oz most of the comps have no stage or added lighting, it's just whatever inadequate lights are in the place at the time.

You also have up to 25 kids going in a variety of directions at the same time including vertical and here I have shot comps that went on for over 12 hours non stop.

I have never seen anything move or change direction as fast as cheerleaders.
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I have to say of all the things I shoot the one that hands down makes me work more for every single shot to adjust SS/ISO and focus point during each number is Dance, not competitive Dance where it is evenly lit for sure. I think Competitive Cheer would be second behind that for me because at least the light is consistent but unfortunately in a HS Gym sometimes and we know about those lights. Most of the time I don't have the opportunity to see rehearsals due to my schedule for the Dance show and I have to pick it up as it goes.

Here is one of my favorites that I managed to see the light just right and catch the moment.

1034845549_RXFGK-L.jpg

Just my two cents, indoors is a pain for sure..
  • Options
    Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    I shoot FSU Football and FSU Cheerleading (covered nationals) as well. Cheerleading and football have to be some of the most difficult to grab. Someone made the comment about NCAA football at night.. THE LIGHTS SUCK! (with the exception of Maryland!) I have shot at about every school on the Eastern part of the US and ugh!

You want difficult though... Try the UF game a couple of years ago when it rained so hard it wiped the lines off the field. Us hardcores were out there with rain gear, trashbags, etc etc... I watched many of Canon and Nikon's die that day...

PS volleyball is a bi$%.. you can keep that! lol

IMG_0186-vi.jpg
  • Options
    northcoastnorthcoast Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    I have to say of all the things I shoot the one that hands down makes me work more for every single shot to adjust SS/ISO and focus point during each number is Dance, not competitive Dance where it is evenly lit for sure. I think Competitive Cheer would be second behind that for me because at least the light is consistent but unfortunately in a HS Gym sometimes and we know about those lights.

Nice shot!

Competitive Cheer can be hit or miss with lighting:

1) Lighting not so great...
    1129029491_FDBKu-L-1.jpg

2) Lighting very good...
    1228498416_73JaZ-L.jpg
  • Options
    Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    Competitive cheer is a beast! I love that second photo also that dance photo is killer!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Fun discussion - I kind of lived this experiment this year, when my kid took up rugby! Never, ever seen the game played, let alone photographed it. Still don't know the rules. But my kid said 'mom, it will be easy, just follow the ball'. Well, when you have no idea where the ball 'should' go next, it is a challenge.

They had a four game season, plus two play off games, and are actually in provincials this coming weekend. I have some pretty good shots, and have spent a lot of time chatting with another photog that is new to the game. We have different strategies about shooting though. I shoot with one body, and the 300mm, at 5.6 varying the ISO and shutter for the light. I shoot from the endzone, to get faces:

My kid with the ball:IMG5176-L.jpg

IMG7534-L.jpg

IMG7368-L.jpg

He shoots with 3 bodies/lenses, from on the sidelines, and gets run over many times a game rolleyes1.gif

IMG6961-L.jpg
  • Options
    wpbarrwpbarr Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Skydiving is easy. Landing can be the tricky part ...
    --
    Bill Barr
    6x7, 35mm, m4/3
  • Options
    TrickTheLightTrickTheLight Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2011
    Another vote for MMA as the most difficult sport to shoot. At the last event I shot, in addition to the usual challenges, the venue had a rolling garage door along one wall, that had been opened in order to allow spectators to sit outside and watch the event. The event was a daytime event, so light from the huge open door was totally overwhelming all the interior light, and I had been asked to shoot from the perch (a platform attached to the outside of the cage). The video guy had the perch with the open door to his back, so I was shooting into a strongly backlit setting.

Someone new to the sport could pick up some of the action fairly quickly, but getting the timing of striking is difficult, even when you know it's about to happen. Grappling takes a lot longer to figure out, but often they hold the pose for a while and it's just a matter of hoping you are able to see a face, and that the ref won't stand in your way for too long. Every fight gives you a few easy shots of the ref raising the winners arm, and the moments surrounding the announcement of the winner. I judge my success at shooting a fight event on the proportion of action to celebration shots. If I get an event where all my top shots are action, then I will feel like I've figured it out.

1237530728_EMZDB-S.jpg