Prom Pictures

iteach6giteach6g Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited May 13, 2011 in People
I've been working on improving taking pictures outdoors (lighting) and focusing. I do not have a flash yet so I'm working with the pop up flash the camera has. Any constructive criticism you could give me to help me improve the quality of my photos is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

StreetCamdidFav.jpg

FriendandDate4.jpg

WhiteDressCouple2.jpg

RedHeadedCouple.jpg

Groupof4Fireplace.jpg

Comments

• kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    My best piece of advice would be to never use the popup flash ever again.
  • iteach6giteach6g Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    kevingeary wrote: »

Could you maybe explain why and what I could do for light until I can afford a flash for my camera????
  • lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    For low light, you pretty much either need a fast lens, slow shutter speed, or high ISO.

At the moment, you do not have a fast lens (when you can afford it, you can look at getting a fast prime). If you use a tripod, you can probably slow down your shutter speed.

I'd recommend practicing with your camera at high ISOs with just your own indoor lights. See how high it can go without being too grainy, and what shutter speeds your can get at those settings. Perhaps it'll be fast enough to hand-hold, though you'll probably still benefit from a tripod.

Here's a case study. An f/1.7 lens should gather about 10 times more light than an f/5.6 lens (which is the f-stop you had in your last shot up there).

This is a shot taken at f/1.7, 1/20th second exposure, at ISO 400 (it would have been better with a higher ISO & a faster shutter):

i-FLDqfQw-L.jpg

The only light was from the iPad's screen.

In your image with the flash, you had a 1/200th second exposure at f/5.6, also at ISO 400. Your aperture would have gotten 1/10th the light of the f/1.7, and the 1/200th second exposure also would collect 1/10th the light of the shutter speed on the above shot.

So (with the flash), your camera was exposing for 100 times more light, which is between 6 & 7 stops brighter.

Keeping your lens at f/5.6, you could probably work with... 5 stops less light, if you increase your ISO to 3200 (you'll have to see if that's too grainy on your camera or not), and reduce your shutter speed to 1/50th of a second. That's slow enough that I would recommend a tripod, but I would hope that is good enough for that sort of indoor shooting.

All of this is a very long way to say: I think you can get away with the lights you have in your house, at least for now. Figure out the limits of your camera (without resorting to flash), and from there you can decide what you need.
    edited May 10, 2011
    All of my last post was about your last shot, the indoors one. That's the one that suffers from the pop-up flash.

The outdoor shots don't suffer from the use of the pop-up flash, that I can see.

For #1, there are two things:

1) I doubt the flash did much from that distance in daylight
    2) I can't tell what is in focus. Is it the building behind them?

My favorite shot is #3.
    edited May 11, 2011
    lanaer wrote: »
    All of my last post was about your last shot, the indoors one. That's the one that suffers from the pop-up flash.

The outdoor shots don't suffer from the use of the pop-up flash, that I can see.

For #1, there are two things:

1) I doubt the flash did much from that distance in daylight
    2) I can't tell what is in focus. Is it the building behind them?

My favorite shot is #3.

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything to me. It’s so technical that I'm going to have to look some stuff up to figure it all out. :) BUT I really appreciate the information. I always wonder how much of the problems in my shots are from user error and how much is from the equipment I'm working with. Don't get me wrong, I'm very new at this but I love it. My undergrad work is in fine arts and art therapy and my masters is in teaching. I'm a tenured teacher that got pink slipped because of the budget crisis in IL. I figured it would be fun to return to my "roots." With that being said, I cannot buy new equipment until I know I have a job next year. I'm keeping a list though!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Also, thank you for giving me some positive feedback. It’s beneficial to know when you are doing something “well” (if you could call it that) just as much as it is helpful to get constructive criticism. I was a little crushed after that first post. I was trying to focus on the people in that first shot, but if it’s the house in the background that’s in focus I really messed up! :)<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Thank you again,<o:p></o:p>
    Shannon :)<o:p></o:p>
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 12, 2011
    kevingeary wrote: »

Sometimes that's all you have. Better to embrace it and learn how to use it.

There are small devices you can pop over the pop-up that help even the light out and make it appear as less directional. They look similar to a ping-pong ball. Something like that gives you a nice soft light.

As far as the pictures, you did a fine job. Those inside look a bit over-flashed. You can mitigate that by setting the flash compensation to reduce the flash output. As someone else said, the flash doesn't have much of an effect at the distances and this is where an off-camera flash would help the most.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 12, 2011
    I am from an extremely technical background (degree in computer science & mathematics, work doing back-end web development), so that's the way I tend to approach everything.

It's hard for me to tell on that first shot. It's one of those cases where I'd look at it at 100% magnification on the original high-res image to see what's in focus.

The outdoor shots were all on an overcast day it looks like?

I think that on overcast days, you don't need a fill flash (or a reflector) as much as you need it when competing directly with the sun. The problem with overcast days is that you have directional light from above (which is not so flattering due to the shadows it creates under the eyes, etc.), and relatively directionless light from everywhere else.

Best thing to do there (as far as I understand) is to get them under something blocking the light directly from above, so you can have more directional light coming to them from the front, side, etc.

There's a book called Available Light that I rather liked, that dealt with shooting with minimal equipment (they do use reflectors and such in several of the shots, but it's good to see what they can do without expensive equipment).

The other part of it is post-processing (another area that generally costs a bit of money for the software...). I've attached some tweaks to shot #3. Nothing particularly advanced, but I think it improves it somewhat...
    edited May 12, 2011
    Ack, exported that image smaller than I had meant to. Let's try again.
    edited May 12, 2011
    And a black & white just for fun (done now, really).
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Sometimes that's all you have. Better to embrace it and learn how to use it.

There are small devices you can pop over the pop-up that help even the light out and make it appear as less directional. They look similar to a ping-pong ball. Something like that gives you a nice soft light.

As far as the pictures, you did a fine job. Those inside look a bit over-flashed. You can mitigate that by setting the flash compensation to reduce the flash output. As someone else said, the flash doesn't have much of an effect at the distances and this is where an off-camera flash would help the most.

And for the totally budget conscious, when desperate you can use a white paper coffee filter over your flash, held on with an elastic band. Just 'puff' the filter up to keep the paper away from the actual flash and it will act as a diffuser for the light, softening it a lot.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited May 12, 2011
    Wow. Thanks for the advice! That's another creative use for coffee filters I’ve learned! I didn't know there was anything to diffuse the light on popup flashes. I wonder what that “Ping-Pong ball” device is specifically called so I can look it up on Amazon. I've seen the light boxes and something that looks like a card that folds over the flash to diffuse light, but nothing like them for popup flashes. My ISO only goes up to 1600, so 3200 isn't an option for me, unfortunately. I had thought that shooting on overcast days was ideal. I guess I came to that conclusion after my genius move to shoot senior portraits on a bright, sunny day. A definite learning experience. It ruined a lot of potentially nice shots. As for the software. I received Photoshop Elements 9 for x-mas. I’ve been learning how to use features by playing around and watching some of the tutorials, but some of it gets pretty technical and I get intimidated. This is probably where Lanear does really well. :) Thanks for tweaking my photos! When you get a chance, you’ll have to tell me what you did and what software you used. I'm going to have to check out Available Light soon. I'm dying to take pictures at Chicago Botanic Gardens and don't want to come home and be disappointed! Also, I need to get into reading Kelby's The Digital Photography Book 1-3 which I got for Mother's Day but never get a chance to read! :)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    edited May 12, 2011
    In many ways, overcast days are easier to deal with than bright mid-day or afternoon sun. They still have their own set of challenges, though.

I may have to check out the coffee filter trick for myself.

I have never used Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements), so I doubt I can be too much help with the specifics there. In Aperture, I did a levels adjustment, especially bringing the midpoint down to brighten the image, and also a curves adjustment to lighten the skin a bit more. That, and a mid-contrast adjustment & a vignette was all I did for the color version.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    One of the things that you have too look out for is pinking them up too much...I pulled the retouched post image and it was, as I suspected, too warm...giving that sunburned look.

Here's some numbers....remembering that you alway want the magenta equal to or lower than the yellow in a photo, and cyan needs to be a fair percentage of magenta.

Him: Cyan 1, magenta 27, and yellow 24. Middle of the forehead.
    " 4, magenta 35, and yellow 26. Nose area.

She actually looks too pink as well.

To much magenta is usually not acceptable for skin tones and one of the most prevalent reasons that images are returned to photographers.

Here's a link that explains what I'm talking about.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1091766

Hope this helps...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed