Trying to be like Yuri . . .

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited October 4, 2005 in People
My grandaughter.

She's 2 and likes cows, horses, and cornfields - yes, she points out the "corn" as we drive in the car - and she knows the difference between growing corn and other crops! Not sure of the reason for her interest . . .

I asked her if she wanted to go for a walk in the corn (with D70 in hand).

Here is one of my shots:
38554445-L.jpg

Comments appreciated!
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Lovely shot.

1) for this b/w conversion, I'd love to see more contrast throughout the image.

2) I'd also love to see the color. I wonder what is lost when you lose the color...

3) For an alternative b/w conversion, try this one from Greg Gorman's site. Click Navigate>Learn>B&W Conversion tutorial. It usually has fantastic results.

https://www.gormanphotography.com/gorman.html
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Hi John,
    What a cutie, and I love her expression. When I first laid eyes on this shot, I thought turn-of-the-century photo. The only thing that's missing is some aging process done to make it look old.

Thanks for the smile,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    I played around with your beautiful photo! It has a very haunting aura surrounding it. I really like it. Her eyes are very catching. To achieve this effect I darkened the image and adjusted the contrast and then did Matty's technique for duotoning. Color Balance > Shadows > +15 0 -15

I also added some grain.

Beautiful!

girl-vi.jpg
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Lovely shot.

2) I'd also love to see the color. I wonder what is lost when you lose the color...

3) For an alternative b/w conversion, try this one from Greg Gorman's site. Click Navigate>Learn>B&W Conversion tutorial. It usually has fantastic results.

Thanks for the thoughts and Gorman link - I used a similar b/w conversion - similar with the Lab portion but did not use the duotone componant of the tutorial.

I purposely kept the contrast on the lower side. I tried a higher contrast but it started to have a "fashion model" look and I was loosing detail in the bow on her head and her shirt. Anyway I wanted to keep the soft range of tones on her face.

Good thoughts for me. Thanks and I will keep playing with it based on your thoughts.thumb.gif

I'll also post the color version but I like the B&W. The out of focus leaves right in front of her are a strong green.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited October 4, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    I played around with your beautiful photo! It has a very haunting aura surrounding it. I really like it. Her eyes are very catching. To achieve this effect I darkened the image and adjusted the contrast and then did Matty's technique for duotoning. Color Balance > Shadows > +15 0 -15

I also added some grain.

Beautiful!
    Thanks, haunting, yes! Children of the Corn :D .

I have used everyone's ideas and here's another pass at the shot. But I do want to keep more of the detail in the clothing and her hair bow. I masked the clothing and increased the contrast and then "toned" the shot a little.

38638945-L.jpg
    john w

Edward Steichen

edited October 4, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Lovely shot.

Here's the color shot - with the strong green leaf element. I played around with "replace color" but wasn't happy with the results (so far). This is a straight raw to jpg conversion - no adjustments.

38639188-M.jpg
    john w

Edward Steichen