Options

DSS 76 - I'm turning into mine ...

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited May 13, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Would like comments/feedback on this shot. Not sure if it works or if it's just creepy. It gave me a bit of a moment when I slid the photos together - I love my mom dearly, but to see how close our features matched was kinda weird, even though I've always known I look like her (except eye & hair color - got those from my dad)!! I guess I get to look forward to my nose growing longer (as it will with age, I know), but does your neck also get shorter as you age? Those two things & some wrinkles were the main differences. The really weird thing to me was how close our chins & neck lines matched, even though my ear & shoulders are lower & more square than hers (I had to shrug to keep my shoulders from being even lower). Again, this was another good learning experience! Comments & suggestions please :)

I'm turning into mine ...
IMG1449-NEW2b-M.jpg
And I guess photography does "grow" on you - this is the first time I've ever really played with self-portraiture (besides some shots with my hubbie that I took recently), as I've never liked myself in photos - would rather be on the other side of the camera!
~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    This also fits under the "WOW" theme!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 10, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I'm turning into mine ...

Great idea for this challenge!
    I've never liked myself in photos - would rather be on the other side of the camera!

Sounds like you found more than one way to move outside your comfort zone. Well done!
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Would like comments/feedback on this shot. Not sure if it works or if it's just creepy.

I like it! :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Clever idea and nicely done! GP
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Great idea! I like the execution as well. The lighting, the skin tones and most everything else lines up. My only nit is the background. I'd personally like to see the same background, but it isn't one bit critical. I think you nailed the challenge.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Excellent job! Smoothly put together. I didn't notice that it was 2 people at first.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Thanks for the comments Kate, Gretchen, Jenn, Greta & Joe!
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Sounds like you found more than one way to move outside your comfort zone. Well done!

Gretchen - yes, I think maybe it even moved my comfort zone a little!
    silversx80 wrote: »
    Great idea! I like the execution as well. The lighting, the skin tones and most everything else lines up. My only nit is the background. I'd personally like to see the same background, but it isn't one bit critical. I think you nailed the challenge.

Joe - I agree on the background issue - I did want a color change to go along with the change in hair color, but I was a lot closer to the greenery than my mom was, so the DOF difference bothers me a lot. I've redone it with a different shot where the background doesn't change color as much, but otherwise matched a lot better, plus the nose went together better.

Thanks again for the comments!

I'm turning into mine ... (revised)
    Entry-M.jpg
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Excellent job! Smoothly put together. I didn't notice that it was 2 people at first.

Thanks Karen - you must've posted when I was composing. I've always been told I look like her, but never realized quite how much! I saw an old photo of her recently as a young mother & if the clothes - especially glasses - were different, it could've been a photo of me.
    ~Lillian~
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    WOW is right! Fantastic concept for the challenge and so nicely done!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    That is both creepy and wonderful! You nailed it.
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    At first I thought, "Why is she entering a generic head shot of her mom?"

Then I thought, "WOW!!!"

Very cool.

Also, it seems that you would consider turning into your mom to be not such a bad thing at all. Enjoy your blessing!

clap.gif
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2011
    Thanks Karin, Jesse & Brian!
    bbjones wrote: »
    Also, it seems that you would consider turning into your mom to be not such a bad thing at all. Enjoy your blessing!
    Yes, my mother is one of the most well liked, well respected & fun people I know, so she has been a blessing to many (myself included); unfortunately she has Alzheimers, so the mind behind her bright blue eyes has deteriorated significantly. A very difficult journey. I guess I consider it a tribute to her that I have her looks, as our personalities are quite different!
    ~Lillian~