Special order with Adorama

DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited May 23, 2011 in Cameras
Hi all,

We live aboard our boat Jedi and we are currently in Panama, far from what most of us call civilization. The only trouble with a location like this is finding the items you want to buy for prices you are willing to pay. We therefore use an agent in the USA who receives the items we order, consolidates them and then sends it to us wherever we are.
This leaves us with the risk that something is wrong with an item we receive; it is very costly to send it back and customs can be a real pain too.

I had read some posts from Helen Oster of Adorama here and decided to send her an email about this. I wanted to order a Canon 5D Mk.II with the 24-105L kit lens, plus the 17-40L wide zoom... but have these items checked to be in good working order before shipping it to us. Helen asked Fred Wasser and he agreed to do this for us at no extra charge.

Everything was handled quickly and professionally, and within 24 hours they had charged the battery, checked it all out, re-packed and shipped it to me. A service like that is very hard to find in the world of today so I say WELL DONE to Helen, Fred and others at Adorama!

thanks,
Nick.
ciao!
Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
my Smugmug site: here

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 10, 2011
    "Way to go" Adorama, especially Helen and Fred. thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 10, 2011
    I'm glad you were able to get everything you needed thumb.gif The folks at Adorama are great people :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Thanks guys!

And these items complete my set of gear wings.gif
    It's already 1.5 years ago that Ziggy helped me making my shopping list. He was right with his advice because I have decided to keep the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS for my 7D even now I get the 5D2 with L-glass in that range. I even keep the 12-24mm Tokina although the 5D with 17-40 will become the 1st choice for wide landscapes of course.

I can't wait to find out how we will like the 24-105L on either body or how the 70-200L will do on the 5D... or how the 100L macro will do on the 5D. Basically, with these two bodies you also double your lenses... instead of switching lens you can now also switch body.

I also got the 1.4x teleconverter. The only items I got that were not on Ziggy's list are the 100L macro, ringflash and Kenko extension tubes... but I don't think I had told him that I like to do macro photography too :D

thanks again!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

edited May 10, 2011
    Congratulations Nick, that is a splendid kit. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    DeVerm wrote: »

Everything was handled quickly and professionally, and within 24 hours they had charged the battery, checked it all out, re-packed and shipped it to me. A service like that is very hard to find in the world of today so I say WELL DONE to Helen, Fred and others at Adorama!

thanks,
    Nick.

I was so pleased it all worked out for you, Nick - but maybe the real shout- out should go to Adam our fab warehouse manager.
    He actually charged up the batteries, ran some tests and re-packed your unit with care, himself - giving it some additional layers of protection so it will withstand it's trip to you.
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    There are businesses out there that do go the extra mile. Sometimes it seems like they have gone the way of the dodo bird, but I think there is a business segment that is reverting back, if you will, to a philosophy of exceeding the client expectations. Adorama is in my opinion one of these companies that has my confidence.

Once you find these companies for God's sake don't go and try to save a buck with some third rate company. Otherwise we will be stuck with nothing but third rate companies.

Sam
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    And this is one of the many reasons we love Helen and Adorama: despite being a large commercial operation, they understand that that one corporate size does NOT fit all and that here IS value in taking situations on a case-by-case basis (and accommodating those needs!). Thank you! iloveyou.gif
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Tonight I received the 5D2 + 24-105L + 17-40L from Adorama, via Miami, straight to us here in the Central American jungle and all is 100%.

The packaging was superb; would've survived parachute drop :D

thanks again!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

edited May 18, 2011
    Congratulations on the new camera and lenses. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    DeVerm wrote: »
    Tonight I received the 5D2 + 24-105L + 17-40L from Adorama, via Miami, straight to us here in the Central American jungle and all is 100%.

The packaging was superb; would've survived parachute drop :D

thanks again!
    Nick.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> happy-smiley-541.gif

EXCELLENT news! I'll be sure to pass the feedback on to Adam.
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    There are businesses out there that do go the extra mile. Sometimes it seems like they have gone the way of the dodo bird, but I think there is a business segment that is reverting back, if you will, to a philosophy of exceeding the client expectations...Once you find these companies for God's sake don't go and try to save a buck with some third rate company. Otherwise we will be stuck with nothing but third rate companies.

+1. Couldn't agree more. Nicely stated.