Would you buy this lens?

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited September 16, 2011 in Cameras
I have a chance to buy the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 (push/pull version) locally. The seller sent me some pictures of the lens and I'm a bit concerned with its condition, particularly in the last shot which shows the glass clearly. Is that fungus? I will have the ability to try the lens and evaluate pictures before paying - so I'm willing to give it a shot. Sometimes deals like this are how you find a deal.

i-ZWddBBf-L.jpg

i-Zjv4Gjr-L.jpg

i-R9g73HC-L.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 11, 2011
    I can't tell for sure what that spot is but lens mold/mildew/fungus is usually not so dense and generally more nebulous. To check for mold/mildew/fungus I use a small, single LED flashlight and shine it through the lens in both directions. Mold/mildew/fungus generally shows up as diffusion and dispersion of the light from the flashlight..
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Thanks Ziggy. I think the big black spot is just dust/dirt/mark. If it doesn't show up in pictures (I doubt it will with the minimum focusing distance of that thing!) I'm not too worried about it. But as I look at the glass I see a series of much smaller, much lighter dots scattered all throughout the lens.

How would you handle the situation?
    edited May 11, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    Thanks Ziggy. I think the big black spot is just dust/dirt/mark. If it doesn't show up in pictures (I doubt it will with the minimum focusing distance of that thing!) I'm not too worried about it. But as I look at the glass I see a series of much smaller, much lighter dots scattered all throughout the lens.

How would you handle the situation?

Assuming that there is no mold/mildew/fungus in the lens, a series of tests should confirm the impact of those dots with regard to image quality. While I suspect there could be some image degradation due to flare and/or dispersion if the subject/scene is luminous or specular, small imperfections usually have little impact on image quality for average subjects.

Test shooting subjects with difficult subject matter like high contrast scenes and specular reflections, like the sun's glint off a windshield or chrome. Use a lens of known quality for a benchmark and comparison.
    ziggy53
    edited May 11, 2011
    Thanks again Ziggy. Are we both agreed that, whether or not those marks affect image quality, the lens is in Bargain condition (to use KEH's scale)?
    edited May 11, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    Thanks again Ziggy. Are we both agreed that, whether or not those marks affect image quality, the lens is in Bargain condition (to use KEH's scale)?

I would have to see the lens and personally test it but, from your pictures and description, I would say probably somewhere around BGN, EX-, EX would be accurate. KEH does allow for some visible imperfections in the glass all the way through EX grade. The size of the main imperfection would probably eliminate the EX grade but if the lens is otherwise decent (little exterior wear and no dents, good mechanical operation, good electrical operation) then it might still be an EX.
    ziggy53
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    In the second photo, the screw on the top right looks like it's been stripped. Kind of hard to tell though. It just makes me wonder why was someone messing with that screw in the first place?
    edited May 12, 2011
    I ended up passing on the lens. The owner sold it to someone locally on Craigslist for $500 (which is about the same as a better quality copy on KEH with a warranty).
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    We would not buy that lens, no. I think you made the right decision.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • jfslater98jfslater98 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 11, 2011
    Was looking to see if there was a "What do you think of this lens?" thread, and I settled on this one. So I'm a rank beginner, what say you all to this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/729938-GREY/Nikon_2197_AF_S_NIKKOR_55_300mm_f_4_5_5_6G.html

Am I better off biding my time in the flea market? Better stuff for the money out there for someone starting out?

TIA.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    jfslater98 wrote: »
    Was looking to see if there was a "What do you think of this lens?" thread, and I settled on this one. So I'm a rank beginner, what say you all to this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/729938-GREY/Nikon_2197_AF_S_NIKKOR_55_300mm_f_4_5_5_6G.html

Am I better off biding my time in the flea market? Better stuff for the money out there for someone starting out?

TIA.

2 Questions.
    1. Is that your MAX budget?
    2. What type of Shooting are you wanting to do or do you do most?
    tom wise
    edited September 14, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    2 Questions.
    1. Is that your MAX budget?
    2. What type of Shooting are you wanting to do or do you do most?

1. It is for now. As a beginner, I feel like I need to get the most out of lower level equipment before I get frustrated and move on to better gear. Put another way: I feel foolish blowing $1000+ on a lens if I'm going to take the same crummy pictures on a $300 lens. Is that wrong-headed? Not sure...

2. When I was at a baseball game, I was frustrated with the results of the kit lens, I wanted to get the action on the field "closer" in the shot.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    1. It is for now. As a beginner, I feel like I need to get the most out of lower level equipment before I get frustrated and move on to better gear. Put another way: I feel foolish blowing $1000+ on a lens if I'm going to take the same crummy pictures on a $300 lens. Is that wrong-headed? Not sure...
    You're right. It makes good sense to get the most out of your gear no matter what you have.
    If you're feeling like your photos are 'crummy', perhaps you need to read-up a bit and practice some techniques. Technique will only serve you!

2. When I was at a baseball game, I was frustrated with the results of the kit lens, I wanted to get the action on the field "closer" in the shot.

Well then it does make sense to go for a zoom. Nikon even makes/made a 70-300 Non-VR for much less money and it aint a bad lens at all.
    tom wise
  • martinjp2martinjp2 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    You'll be happy with that lens

I recommend the lens for your situation, along with studying up on technique.

I was in a similar position earlier this year. I was looking at this lens, the Tamon 70-300 mm and the Nikkor 70-300 mm. I bought the Tamron and returned it because it focused too slowly and resulted in more bad than good pictures. I wanted the Nikkor 70-300 but couldn't justify the extra cost.

I bought the Nikkor 55-300 mm and have been very happy with it. It may not be as good as the 70-300mm and will have to be replaced when I can afford to go to and FX format camera, but left enough money to pretty much cover the a larger bag and a 35 mm f1.8 lens when my grandson was born a couple of months later.

I just took some pictures at my 10 year grand-nephew's football game last weekend. I broke my toe recently so I was loving the ability to zoom in across and down the field without having to hobble down the side lines. The pictures are on my Smugmug site at http://martinjp.smugmug.com/Family/2010s/20110912-Bretts-Football-Game/19021311_WX4Qt3

Here are some pictures of a butterfly taken with the 55-300 wide open at 300mm http://martinjp.smugmug.com/Other/20110723-Butterfly/18213676_nms6Gf

And a dog picture http://martinjp.smugmug.com/Pets/Dogs/20110711-Dogs-at-the-cottage/i-5z66ksf/0/X3/DSC2990-X3.jpg

Jim
    edited September 15, 2011
    Great feedback folks, thanks so much! I agree that working on my technique is the first order of business. Much cheaper than a new lens, and the results more effective mwink.gif

That said, after seeing Jim's results (thanks for sharing the pictures, great stuff!), I believe that I will be investing in that particular lens. My little critter is getting into sports age now, so being able to capture her in the field like Jim did will be wonderful.

Again, the feedback is much appreciated!
  • martinjp2martinjp2 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    You're welcome. I'm glad you found the pictures helpful. Have fun taking pictures of your daughter. Kids grow up so fast you'll enjoy them for years to come.