First time shooting into light

TmetroffTmetroff Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited May 12, 2011 in People
So this was the first time I ever tried shooting into light, I had seen some pretty cool stuff done using this technique so I figured I would give it a try! I used a gold reflector also to help bring back detail in her face.

Any advice/suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

jpfsxw.jpg

Comments

• lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Very good for a first attempt. Good exposure on her face, the flaring creates an interesting effect... I can't find anything to complain about. Need someone with more experience for improvement tips, I think.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Dont' know much about this technique but that is one gorgeous model!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Nicely done! What else did you use besides the reflector? On / off camera flash?
  • TmetroffTmetroff Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    lanaer wrote: »
    Very good for a first attempt. Good exposure on her face, the flaring creates an interesting effect... I can't find anything to complain about. Need someone with more experience for improvement tips, I think.
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!
    Dont' know much about this technique but that is one gorgeous model!
    Yeah she is definitely good looking! I keep telling her she should consider modeling on the side.
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Nicely done! What else did you use besides the reflector? On / off camera flash?
    Thanks! Oh I forgot to mention my flash! I had my sb-600 with a flash diffuser as well.(mounted on the camera)
    The reflector was what made it possible, I tried the next day without a reflector (my "assistant" had a final) and I couldn't replicate the shot.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    It's fairly tough to get good results having the open sun in your frame not being blocked but a subject/gobo.
    The primary ideas of shooting into the sun are either shooting silouettes or using it as a hair/rim light. Otherwise you *will* get a flare, and in most cases flare is a defect, not a badge of honor.
    And, of course, there are venerable "sun stars" ;-)
    There are exceptions. But they are - exceptions.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 12, 2011
    Nikolai wrote: »
    It's fairly tough to get good results having the open sun in your frame not being blocked but a subject/gobo.
    The primary ideas of shooting into the sun are either shooting silouettes or using it as a hair/rim light. Otherwise you *will* get a flare, and in most cases flare is a defect, not a badge of honor.
    And, of course, there are venerable "sun stars" ;-)
    There are exceptions. But they are - exceptions.

Thanks for the advice, to get the star affect I have to buy a special filter, correct?
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Tmetroff wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, to get the star affect I have to buy a special filter, correct?

usually an f-stop around 16 will get the stars to come outthumb.gif depends on the lens to a degree too.
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011

If you want to play around with a "star" effect and not spend money on a filter, I've had varying degrees of success using a piece of screen from a metal screen door held against the front of the lens.

just a fyi
    edited May 12, 2011

f/19..f/22, make sure you only get a tiny part of the sun visible. No filter needed.

276969564_Siogo-XL.jpg
    edited May 12, 2011
    And of course you can shoot into an unobstructed sun sometimes :-)

96578925_Hxjgz-L.jpg
    edited May 12, 2011
    Thank you for the advice guys, I appreciate it! I will have to give it a try and will post the results.. after finals week of course :P.