Is There Anyone Here...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited May 15, 2011 in Cameras
That has made the jump from the Sony a700 to the Nikon? I would be very interested in your thoughts about this move!!

Thanks, Ron
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 12, 2011
    Which Nikon body are you considering?

What do you hope to accomplish in this move?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    I am looking at the D7000. It really looks to be everything I was hoping the a700 replacement might be. I do like to shoot concerts so the cleaner high ISO would be very nice. And to be real honest, I am just not sure what the future for Sony is. They look to be doing pretty good right now. It has taken them a long time to come up with a replacement for the a700 and they are not even talking FF replacement yet. If anything can be assured in the present economy, I think that Canon and Nikon stand a better chance of being there in the long run.

Ron

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    I moved from the A700 to the D7000. There's no contest. Everything about the D7000 is better.

I was not an inexpensive switch, since I had good Sony glass and a kit I very happy with. It's also taking some time to learn the menus and the layout, but I'm very pleased that I made the switch.

I'd be happy to answer any specific question you have.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 12, 2011
    Yes, I think that a Nikon D7000, coupled with a fast prime lens for night and indoor concerts, would make an excellent concert camera.

For that matter, Andy showed long ago that even an old Canon 20D is suitable for concert use, with the right lens of course:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11413
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 12, 2011
    Andy has some great photos there!

As you can see in my sig, I have some descent lenses also. Nothing really expensive, but for my wages, they were ok. If I make the switch, the D7000 comes with the 18-200 VRII lens that seems to do pretty good so far. It would be very similar to the Sony 18-250mm. I think I would get the Nikon SB-700 flash next. I think my next lens purchase would be the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. I have that one now and at least on my a700, it is a great lens! I shot mostly landscape and I have a friend that has the Nikon 12-24 f/4 lens that he will sell to me. That would probably be the next purchase. Then I would need something in the longer range. Maybe another Tamron 200-500 as I feel it is a real good bang for the buck. I would have no IS though. I am pretty happy with the lenses that I have now, so would go for those ranges again. I could wait a while for another macro.
    My friend here at work is letting me borrow his Nikon SB-600 for a bit. What I seem to notice right off is a more consistent flash and skin tones being closer to correct.
    I have a feeling that the 18-200 would stay on the camera a lot. Here are a couple of pics that I have taken with the D7000 and 18-200 combo.

This is an HDR photo taken near home.
    DSC056123-XL.jpg

DSC0643-XL.jpg

Pupator, if I do this, I may have questions:).

Thanks, Ron

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Ron,

When I had the A700, I (finally) settled on the 16-85 Zeiss, Minolta 70-210 f/4, and Sigma 30mm f/1.4. (I also had the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, which I loved but sold because I didn't use it enough).

When I got the D7000 I started with the 18-105, and then the 18-200. I didn't like either. I'm just starting to get my kit where I want it. It takes a long time to find the lenses that compliment your style and subject matter best, especially when you're coming over from another system.

I have really enjoyed shooting wide on the D7000. I'm very happy with the Tokina 12-24 f/4, and I'm sure the Nikon at least matches it.
    For a while, I went without a standard zoom - using a 35, 50, and 85 set of 1.8 primes. Now, I've picked up the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and am doing away with the 35 and the 85. I'll also probably upgrade my 50 to the 1.4 or wait for the new 1.8G that's coming out.

My telephoto is the 70-300 VR which is fantastic. It doesn't have the speed of the 70-200, obviously, but I've been very happy with the results. I also have an SB-400, SB-600, and a third off-brand flash.

My "to purchase" list is:
    50 f/1.4 (or new 50 1.8)
    300 f/4 (had the chance to use one a few weeks ago and loved it)

A few other things about the D7000
    1) Buy the fastest SD cards you can afford. I'm talking 45MB or 60MB/sec. It makes a huge difference with the buffer on burst shots (you are shooting 14-bit raw after all).
    2) The camera feels much better in your hand with the battery grip. The D7000 feels okay on its own, but your pinky has nowhere to go. The grip helps balance the camera quite a lot and gives your pinky a resting place. If you aren't hung up on getting the Nikon one, a knock-off can be had for <$60. I have it and I really think it must be made in the same factory as the Nikon because it's identical to the one I rented and about $160 less.
    3) Read the manual. I'm not kidding. I've read it three times now and am still learning certain functions and the meanings of certain phrases in the menus.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    A few other things about the D7000
    1) Buy the fastest SD cards you can afford. I'm talking 45MB or 60MB/sec. It makes a huge difference with the buffer on burst shots (you are shooting 14-bit raw after all).
    Whenever I use a D7000, I just set the RAW to 12-bit and compressed. Gets the file size down to under 1 MB per MP, and is still more than enough "data" for action sports etc...

But, to each their own! A quality memory card is still always a good thing. Get a memory card with a lifetime warranty, for sure. Not so that you can get it warrantied in 12 years lol, but simply because of what that warranty speaks about the quality of the card...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Ront, no more sample shots, no more!!!! Laughing.gif:)
    edited May 15, 2011
    BBiggs wrote: »
    Ront, no more sample shots, no more!!!! Laughing.gif:)

I am not sure if that is because they are good or badne_nau.gif.

I had a look at your smugmug site and really enjoyed it. Very nice work!!

Ron

• chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    You have taken some lovely shots yourself Ron.