Options

So my city has asked me to photograph something.....

Mrs. Prout Has a CameraMrs. Prout Has a Camera Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited May 21, 2011 in Technique
My city has asked me to photograph our new war memorial in order to enter into a contest for our state. The winning shot will get recognition for our city and will be displayed in our capitol building. We have a very very small town and our new memorial has been a really big deal. A good friend of mine was killed in Iraq, and his death is partly what sparked this new memorial, his parents spearheading the operation.

This is a big deal people!

I guess what I'm asking is this - does anyone have any creative ideas? I know it's tough when you don't know what the memorial looks like. The memorial is lit at night so I'm thinking a night photo would be best.

Has anyone ever done something like this?

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    What kind of time frame are you working with?

Do you have a snap shots of the memorial so we can get an idea of the size shape location, and surroundings?

Does it have a flag? If so flags don't fly at night, but at early AM or late PM would be OK and maybe a better shot.

Sam
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Mrs. P, I've photographed our local Vietnam War memorial a couple of times. As you say, a lot depends on how it looks. This isn't very good but it may give you ideas.

http://cornflakeaz.smugmug.com/Other/Phoenix/10994108_n5cTv#888555442_jAxH9-XL-LB

Good luck.
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Maybe try some HDR with it.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    I guess what I'm asking is this - does anyone have any creative ideas?
    Does it catch the first or last light of day?
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    lit in the evening with the midnight blue of post-sunset, if you can.
    //Leah
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    I agree this approach can create a pleasant image, but 'creative'? Isn't that what everyone does?
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    Assuming it's this one, http://www.trentonmi.org/index-community.asp?Dept_ID=22 the important thing to know would be the direction it faces.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    I agree this approach can create a pleasant image, but 'creative'? Isn't that what everyone does?

depends on the lighting and drama of the angle. Also, hard to know if more artistic takes would do as well in that sort of competition.
    //Leah
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011

This is where I would start...and shoot several brackets for doing an HDR as mentioned above.....

depends on the lighting and drama of the angle. Also, hard to know if more artistic takes would do as well in that sort of competition.

Exactly... a lot of times these types of judges are not from the art or photography world...they could just be older crotchity senators and reps...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    ront wrote: »
    Maybe try some HDR with it.

Ron

First thing I thought of when I read the question. I second trying HDR with it.
  • Options
    Mrs. Prout Has a CameraMrs. Prout Has a Camera Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Here is a rough idea of what the memorial looks like. There are statues of soldiers in the center circle. The flags and the statues are lit up at night. Capture.jpg
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Congrats on the great opportunity! I'm sure that you will have lots of approaches to shoot with the advice given here. I'll move this over to Technique where you'll probably get even more input. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,836 moderator
    edited May 16, 2011
    The first thing I would do is to take some "snapshots" of the site at different times of the day, and night. Note the way that the ambient light plays on the entire "set" during different lighting. Walk around the site and be very loose in your composition. At this point you are just getting to know the site and its photographic sense.

Lay out all of the images together, either as prints or using a digital "light table" software. Organize the images by the things that you like at the top and by things that you don't like at the bottom. Imagine the scene as you would like it to be. Nothing is impossible at this point so even imagine the impossible. Consider additional lighting even for daylight images.

Pay special attention to the background and foreground elements. It may be necessary to treat them differently from the main scene.

When you have finished your selection of the images with the best overall components, go back to the site and retake those images, refining your process and treatment. If you need to consider a different, higher, vantage, don't be afraid to ask for a cherry-picker or help from the fire department. This should be a community effort and it doesn't hurt to get others involved.

Once you get some satisfactory images show them around to the decision makers to get their opinion, if you dare. Try to keep the project from becoming a "committee" project because that really can kill the project altogether. You should still be in charge but a few extra opinions won't hurt as long as they are constructive.

Continue to refine the images until you are truly pleased with the results. You'll know when you have something finished.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RedfaxRedfax Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    If I may chip in, a "memorial" is something which should be remembered, i.e. by people. A lot of archetectural photography (and indeed, a lot of modern architects) seem to consider humans as a nousiance. You don't need to do that.

Assuming this can be done respectfully, and within the framework of the competition, consider including mourners/visitors to the memorial. You might consider staging it.Spontaneity is overrated provided the feelings expressed are factual, and the images are not presented as journalism.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited May 21, 2011
    I agree with the sunset/sunrise approach. I would add lighting to highlight the memorial--perhaps offer more drama. I like the idea of a long exposure and people mingling--it would be nice to have streaks of people in the shot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?