Help with camera problem

1scrappychic1scrappychic Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited May 15, 2011 in Cameras
Hi guys! I'm new here...trying to research a problem I'm having with my 5D. I just purchased it used 2 weeks ago...and it seems the problem has been occurring since I got it, but didn't realize it :(
I've tried 2 different memory cards. One was brand new, and one that has been formatted. I've checked 3 different lenses...I just have no idea what this is, and I hope someone here might have an idea.
Here is a 100% crop of the problem. This is along the top of the frame on all of my images. Most of them are not as noticeable as this...this one seems to be the worst one.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 14, 2011
    That looks like an RF signal that is leaching into the image. It's possible that some internal shielding has failed or I gather some brands of Compact Flash cards are not sufficiently shielded and can allow this to happen. What specific cards are you using? (Manufacturer, size, speed rating and where did you purchase the cards?)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • 1scrappychic1scrappychic Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2011
    Interesting. They are sandisk Ultra Compact Flash (1) 8mb (1) 4mb 30mb/s I've used this brand specifically 2 of the 8gb cards for the last year. 2 of the 8g cards were purchased at Costco, and I've used them with my 40D without issue. The 4gb I just purchased at WalMart the other day.
    edited May 14, 2011
    Interesting. They are sandisk Ultra Compact Flash (1) 8mb (1) 4mb 30mb/s I've used this brand specifically 2 of the 8gb cards for the last year. 2 of the 8g cards were purchased at Costco, and I've used them with my 40D without issue. The 4gb I just purchased at WalMart the other day.

Those should be good cards and from fairly trustworthy vendors. I don't think that they are the problem. Sadly, that leaves the camera as the probable source of the problem. You may need to send the camera in for service or return it if you are still in the grace period. For sure, contact the seller if it is a vendor with a warranty, just to establish the possible claim.
    ziggy53
    edited May 15, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Those should be good cards and from fairly trustworthy vendors. I don't think that they are the problem. Sadly, that leaves the camera as the probable source of the problem. You may need to send the camera in for service or return it if you are still in the grace period. For sure, contact the seller if it is a vendor with a warranty, just to establish the possible claim.
    Nope, it was a personal sale from another photographer. I've messaged her but not heard back yet. I did pay with paypal, but not sure what my recourse is. I'm hoping if it has to go in she'll offer to help pay for the repairs.
    edited May 15, 2011
    Nope, it was a personal sale from another photographer. I've messaged her but not heard back yet. I did pay with paypal, but not sure what my recourse is. I'm hoping if it has to go in she'll offer to help pay for the repairs.

Private sales are "as is" in most cases unless you have a written warranty of some sort.

What are the circumstances where this problem becomes apparent?

Was the image underexposed to any degree?
    ziggy53
    edited May 15, 2011
    yes, that's what I'm afraid of :( She replied though, and seems very apologetic so I think she'll work with me.
    It's in all images, regardless of exposure, most of them are properly exposed, or even overexposed by a touch. (that's how I shoot)
    edited May 15, 2011
    Just for reference, here is another image that was properly exposed, after switching cards...it's not nearly as obvious...but it's still there. The image above may have originally been a bit underexposed and brought up in ACR. I would have to look for sure
    IMG_3651.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 15, 2011
    It does look like a hardware problem to me, but have you checked that the camera is running the newest version of Canon's firmware? Looks like version 1.1.1 was the last one they released, but I'm not positive about that.
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Probably a long shot, but are you shooting with the jpeg conversion on? do you have the saturation turned way up? If so, try shooting RAW and converting later.

I am viewing this on a rather poor monitor, but these effects bear a distant resemblance to saturation noise I sometimes get with intense monotone colours. My guess is that this isn't the problem, but it's worth a try...

Good luck! I have a 5DmII and have had no problems at all with it.
    edited May 15, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    It does look like a hardware problem to me, but have you checked that the camera is running the newest version of Canon's firmware? Looks like version 1.1.1 was the last one they released, but I'm not positive about that.
    That's all I can find, and yes it's running 1.1.1
    jhefti wrote: »
    Probably a long shot, but are you shooting with the jpeg conversion on? do you have the saturation turned way up? If so, try shooting RAW and converting later.

I am viewing this on a rather poor monitor, but these effects bear a distant resemblance to saturation noise I sometimes get with intense monotone colours. My guess is that this isn't the problem, but it's worth a try...

Good luck! I have a 5DmII and have had no problems at all with it.
    Nope, I shoot in RAW. THese are there straight upon import. Can even view it on there at 100% in ACR right off of the memory card. However, I just put in a 3rd card, that I hadn't formatted in the 5D and am not seeing the issue. I'm now wondering if it's a problem with the formatting in camera. Testing more as soon as my card gets done with a complete format via pc vs in camera.
    If that was hard to follow...I have 3 memory cards. 2 of them I had formatted in this camera, one was a bit older and one was brand new.
    Had this issue on both cards.
    Put in my 3rd card that had not been formatted in this camera, and do not see the problem.
    edited May 15, 2011
    ... Put in my 3rd card that had not been formatted in this camera, and do not see the problem.

Is this possibly a camera that had not been used in a while? I suppose that it is possible for the memory card contact pins (in the camera) to have corroded. A few insertion/removal/insertion cycles of a card might improve the situation.
    ziggy53
    edited May 15, 2011
    She hadn't used it a lot since Sept...but she used it on May 2nd, and she didn't have this issue. My cards were not the cards that would have been in the camera while it was being unused. I'm just chalking it up to some weird error with the formatting for now...since it seems to have gone away