Options

printing ?-large prints

twinsmomtwinsmom Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited May 24, 2011 in Finishing School
I need help understanding file size and how it relates to print size. I've done some reading but I'm still not clear. Any links that would help?

I've not done much in prints larger than 8x10 but I want to. I would even like to get a few posters made for my girls rooms. Are there certain printing companies that will automatically enlarge your file if you order a larger size than should be printed? How do I know when I send my file in to be printed if I'll be getting a good print at the size I request?

Sorry for the basic ? but I've never had to worry about larger prints before.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2011
    File size doesn't relate to print size in any meaningful way.

Image size, or resolution, is what matters. For example, if a picture is 1600x1200 pixels, that tells you something meaningful. Generally speaking, and not knowing what camera you have, you're going to be using every pixel you have to print a poster - and even then you or the printer is going to have to add pixels to the image. The good news is that when you're printing large, you don't need as many pixels per inch because you don't normally view a poster with your nose against it, but from a few feet away.

Here are a few links that might be helpful, but if you want to post specific images and ask about sizes that might be useful as well.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135299
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 14, 2011
    What camera are you using? You did not list it in your profile.

Each type of camera shoots images at specific pixel sizes - the sizes are chosen by you in the set up menu. Generally, the better the camera the higher the pixel count, but the quality of the pixels count as well. Some point and shoot cameras, with tiny sensors, have more pixels than much better cameras, which have fewer, but much better quality, pixels.

For quality images you need a minimum of ~200 pixels per linear inch of image, 300ppi is better.

When you determine how many pixels you have on the long and short side of your image, you can determine what size you can safely print from your camera.
    I wrote a tutorial about image resolution and printed image sizes here

Once you know your basic image size in pixels, and how large you want your image, you can tell if you have enough pixels, or if you need to create them in Photoshop, or Genuine Fractals, or other enlarging programs.

I have made lovely 30 by 30 inch prints from several DSLRs, including a 10D, and a 40D, and a 50D.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality This link is very good too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Also poster is a relative term.....I have seen printing labs that had a link to posters and the sizes started at 8x10....personally a poster to me should never, ever be under 20x24 and really it should start at 20x30 inches.....but that is not really relevant...what is relevant is what size poster are you wanting to make?
    What processing software are you using? What camera are you using and the iso of the images to be made into posters?

I am the type of artist that hates to have to stand way back to view a large print because of the noise (grain) in the enlargement...so I use Genuine Fractals to uprez my images to the desired printing size....now if some one walks up and wants to scrutinize the image it is tack sharp at nose to the wall eye crossing close........That way people who have never heard of viewing distance can walk right up to one of my 30x40 or 60x80 prints and not go "Gawd that is grainy (or noisy)...but it looks better from 20 feet away"......I want it to look great even upclose......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »

Here are a few links that might be helpful, but if you want to post specific images and ask about sizes that might be useful as well.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135299

Thanks. I've been away for over a week and am finally getting back online. Can't wait to read up.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    What camera are you using? You did not list it in your profile.

Each type of camera shoots images at specific pixel sizes - the sizes are chosen by you in the set up menu. Generally, the better the camera the higher the pixel count, but the quality of the pixels count as well. Some point and shoot cameras, with tiny sensors, have more pixels than much better cameras, which have fewer, but much better quality, pixels.

For quality images you need a minimum of ~200 pixels per linear inch of image, 300ppi is better.

When you determine how many pixels you have on the long and short side of your image, you can determine what size you can safely print from your camera.
    I wrote a tutorial about image resolution and printed image sizes here

Once you know your basic image size in pixels, and how large you want your image, you can tell if you have enough pixels, or if you need to create them in Photoshop, or Genuine Fractals, or other enlarging programs.

I have made lovely 30 by 30 inch prints from several DSLRs, including a 10D, and a 40D, and a 50D.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality This link is very good too.
    I was using the D200 but am now working with the D7000. Thanks for the links. I have a lot of reading to do and for some reason this eludes me. I just can't wrap my mind around it.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Also poster is a relative term.....I have seen printing labs that had a link to posters and the sizes started at 8x10....personally a poster to me should never, ever be under 20x24 and really it should start at 20x30 inches.....but that is not really relevant...what is relevant is what size poster are you wanting to make?
    What processing software are you using? What camera are you using and the iso of the images to be made into posters?

I am the type of artist that hates to have to stand way back to view a large print because of the noise (grain) in the enlargement...so I use Genuine Fractals to uprez my images to the desired printing size....now if some one walks up and wants to scrutinize the image it is tack sharp at nose to the wall eye crossing close........That way people who have never heard of viewing distance can walk right up to one of my 30x40 or 60x80 prints and not go "Gawd that is grainy (or noisy)...but it looks better from 20 feet away"......I want it to look great even upclose......

The size would not be any smaller than 16x20 and more likely at least 20x30 or up. I use LR to do most of my editing. It would either be from my D200 or D7000. I don't have a specific image to post right now. I guess I'm trying to get an understanding so I know what I should be striving for if I know I want something turned into a poster.

Are there companies that will uprez a picture for printing that are reliable/good? I can't sink $ into another program that won't get used all the time.
    Thanks