pre prom in San Mateo, CA

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited May 17, 2011 in People
These are my 1st high school kids. I tell you what..a beautiful subject certainly makes things easier!

1) window light
prom2011-5-L.jpg

2)
prom2011-46-L.jpg

3)
prom2011-49-X2.jpg

4)
prom2011-36-X2.jpg

5)
prom2011-85-X2.jpg

prom2011-138-X2.jpg

prom2011-135-L.jpg

prom2011-132-L.jpg

prom2011-168-L.jpg

prom2011-191-L.jpg

prom2011-202-L.jpg
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Ohhhhhhhh, LOVE the first one!!! Fun, fun set .. some quick remarks :o)

#2 not feeling the pose
    #4 perfect!
    #5 ring is twisted - yup, I'm a picky b*
    #6 I'd say I'd crop out more of the guy's face ... kinda hard now, but . just saying :)
    #8 hairband :nono
    #9 I would have probably put the lady in orange a bit more in the back
    #10 .... hmmmm, not sure why you kept that one? Don't think it's particularly flattering?? ne_nau.gif
    #11 hilarious, good catch thumb.gif

So, what's the back story?? You shooting proms now? :Dear.gif
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Not a fan of number two either. The pose or the fact that the left eye is soft.

Enjoyed the rest and felt the moment.

Does anyone else find that the subject in #11 looks eerily like Farah Faucett circa 1970's.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Does anyone else find that the subject in #11 looks eerily like Farah Faucett circa 1970's.

Nahhh . . . I don't ever remember Farah with her tongue stuck out like that.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited May 15, 2011
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    #8 hairband :nono
    #9 I would have probably put the lady in orange a bit more in the back

#8 What IS IT with those things. They're like the common cold virus . . . everywhere.

#9 Angie, how would you have accomplished that without reinforcing to her that she might not be the "most beautiful girl in the world" or has a challenged fashion sense? I don't intend that as a rhetorical question. Sometimes I look at a group and think that I'd like to "de-emphasize" a particular person. Then I feel ugly for thinking like that. What is my obligation as a photographer?? I don't mean to sound like someone else on this forum, but who am I to decide who's beautiful and should be in the front row, and who's a less desireable subject and should be relagated.
    John :
    edited May 15, 2011
    Actually, Daniel, I think your choice of lens for the group shot did create some problems for you. With a lens that wide, things toward the edges get bigger. Look at the arm on the girl at far camera left. She's a slight little thing, but her arm looks half as large as her waist. Angie pointed out something quite useful to me anyway. I'll certainly be aware of not placing larger group members toward the edges if using a WA lens.
    John :
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    I really like #1 and #11 good job.

#2 the armpit is bugging me.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    but who am I to decide who's beautiful and should be in the front row, and who's a less desireable subject and should be relagated.

I thought that was what composition was? Arranging elements within the frame to bring out their beauty? Or lighting to minimize less flattering features or to emphasize the stunning ones. I don't think putting the orange dress elsewhere relegates her to an undesirable class, it might just mean she would better complete the composition elsewhere.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
    edited May 15, 2011
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    I don't think putting the orange dress elsewhere relegates her to an undesirable class, it might just mean she would better complete the composition elsewhere.

Well put.
    John :
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Nice images. I like the group shot...just take a look at the couples on the far left and far right and you'll see they are leaning out...you may want to use the free transform tool and improve their perspective to somewhere closer to vertical. Also, in your number 7...fix the bruises on the girl's leg...third left toward the top...next to the orange dress...not exactly flattering.

Like your colors and post processing...very nice. I'm am wondering if the supposed hair band is the band that the florist used for the corsage...maybe...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    thanks for the comments all! I think she looks like the girl from "friday night lights" myself.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    #8 What IS IT with those things. They're like the common cold virus . . . everywhere.

#9 Angie, how would you have accomplished that without reinforcing to her that she might not be the "most beautiful girl in the world" or has a challenged fashion sense? I don't intend that as a rhetorical question. Sometimes I look at a group and think that I'd like to "de-emphasize" a particular person. Then I feel ugly for thinking like that. What is my obligation as a photographer?? I don't mean to sound like someone else on this forum, but who am I to decide who's beautiful and should be in the front row, and who's a less desireable subject and should be relagated.

Oh - I wasn't saying that she's not attractive, don't get me wrong (as a photographer - boudoir photographer especially - I see a lot of different body shapes and do believe that EVERYBODY is beautiful).
    The most important thing is that we make everybody look good and that they like themselves in the photo. Now ... with her, I don't think she'll like the photo as much as she could. I am not saying that you need to put all bigger people in the back, but put her in a more strategic pose & position, to not underline their less (?) flattering features (who am I to say this is "less" flattering .. you know what I mean) ...
    Also, all the girls are somewhat angled to the camera (with one of their shoulders closer to the camera, than the other one). Now ... the lady in orange is looking straight at you, ... again, it's just underlining her body figure and together with the arm on her hip she's just standing out of the group ... anyway. My 2 cents, there are lots of things one could do. thumb.gif
  • S-squaredS-squared Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    I just shot my first prom pictures two weeks ago... What a blast. Good work!