Choices, Choices...!

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited May 19, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I have a competition coming up, and once again, I can't decide on my second image...

The competition is "Architecture & Record", so images showing architecture, or shots that record things (club rules say "You could almost rebuild the subject by looking at the record shot"). Basically, artistic interpretation is frowned upon in this catagory, the catagory is more functional...

So, given these few options, what do you think is the one to enter? And why?

Thanks in advance of your great advice. :)

5697300758_16a54c48fb_o.jpg
Plaque at Much Wenlock Priory sRGB by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

5690930565_f8b6951ff0_o.jpg
Wentworth Castle Tower sRGB by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

5721135159_a562b0ddb2_z.jpg
Wall at Wenlock Priory sRGB by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

5721135433_3ffbb8edcd_z.jpg
Plaque at Lealholm Hall sRGB by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Thank you.

Comments

• chuck54chuck54 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    I'm drawn towrds # 3, primarily for the combination of design elements and tonal qualities.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    I like "The Wall...." also, the nearly monochromatic tones, the complex and interesting subject; very nicely done.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    The rules are architecture & record, that is two pictures. You changed it to architecture or record, that is one picture your choice.

Which is it???

If it is the first, I believe you need and exterior picture of a complete building or close. Then a picture of the inside showing how it is constructed. The first being and architecture shot the second how it is constructed or record shot. The definition of a record shot "you could almost rebuild it".

I don't think the pictures meet the rules. Two are of art work and two are parts of buildings.... And are more artistic interpretation.....

Two shots one building tell a story......
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    chuck54 wrote: »
    I'm drawn towrds # 3, primarily for the combination of design elements and tonal qualities.

Thanks. :)
    edited May 15, 2011
    WernerG wrote: »
    I like "The Wall...." also, the nearly monochromatic tones, the complex and interesting subject; very nicely done.

Thank you. :)
    edited May 15, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    The rules are architecture & record, that is two pictures. You changed it to architecture or record, that is one picture your choice.

Which is it???

If it is the first, I believe you need and exterior picture of a complete building or close. Then a picture of the inside showing how it is constructed. The first being and architecture shot the second how it is constructed or record shot. The definition of a record shot "you could almost rebuild it".

I don't think the pictures meet the rules. Two are of art work and two are parts of buildings.... And are more artistic interpretation.....

Two shots one building tell a story......

Well, a bit of both. ;)

In this catagory, our club has had things such as:

entire buildings,
    details of buildings (e.g. a gargoyle, or plaque)
    coins
    medals
    the insides of a watch, exposed
    and so on.

Not all architecture, not all record. Some of each.
    In the interpretation of the club's rules, all the above would be admissable...I just can't decide which has the most appeal, or impact, or even, technically a good photo.

Whichever I choose has to stand alone, however, I already have my other choice.

Thanks for your input and interest. :)
    edited May 16, 2011
    I reworked #3, and also did another image, the painted Cherub on the ceiling at a local castle...Now I can't decide between these two!

5727695496_503f468cb4_z.jpg
    Wall Detail at Wenlock Priory - CM by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

5727130909_929f4eafef_z.jpg
    Cherub on the Ceiling at Bolsover 1920px wide by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
  • chuck54chuck54 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    I don't see an architecture connection with the cherub, although it's an interesting image. My vote remains with the wall.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum
    edited May 16, 2011
    chuck54 wrote: »
    I don't see an architecture connection with the cherub, although it's an interesting image. My vote remains with the wall.

Well, there's the "record" part of the competition brief...and it doesn't have to be a record shot of architecture. I figured a record of the painting on a ceiling that may not exist in the future would fit the bill...

Thanks for your opinion, however, I think I might agree with you anyway...it's just sometimes tough to decide as I obviously like all the images to some extent.
    Cheers
    edited May 19, 2011
    Just in case anyone is interested, my "Wall Detail at Wenlock Priory scored 15.74 and the winning image scored 15.94.
    I didn't come second or 3rd, however, as there were two images with 15.89 which just knocked me out of the top 3.
    There were 34 entries in total, however, so not bad. :)

I used my last, possibly oversharpened, edit...and this was a good choice! The projector needs replacing, and the sharpness counterracted the less-than suitable projection. :)
    Cheers