Island in the Fog

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 18, 2011 in Landscapes
c/c appreciated (see my new sig :wink)
i-XcZqRtS-XL.jpg

Version 2 (incorporating critiques below)
i-6hp4c4g-XL.jpg

Comments

• 1scrappychic1scrappychic Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    I can't even tell it's HRD. Nice work. It's a lovely photo....maybe a bit on the dark side (but it adds to the mood)
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Thanks. This one wasn't an HDR - taken as a 3 shot pano. About 1/3 to 1/2 of my shots are though hence the sig...
    Appreciate your taking the time to comment.
  • 1scrappychic1scrappychic Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    oh! I understand now. You were saying that HDR might be overdone in general...so how is this one without it..hahahaha oops..my apologies :)
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    eoren, I don't know anything, so take my comments accordingly.

It's a photogenic island and the fog adds a very nice touch. Overall, I like it. My honesty therefore can't be brutal.

There are a few things I don't like as much, though. The structures and crane in the rear left are distracting. I con't know how much latitude you had to compose the shot but if you could find a vantage point that excluded those, I think it would help. If not, a slightly foggier day might eliminate them.

Also, I'd clone out the buoys, which are distracting. I'm also not crazy about the boat. A more photogenic boat in that spot might be okay but this one isn't. If this is an accessible spot, I'd consider trying again. I've had to do that a few zillion times.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Hi Eyal, first what I like about the image. I love the fact that the fog seems to be just about on top and slightly behind this little Island, therefore the trees and shrubs and rocks really stand out. I get a very mystical feeling from this setting. I do agree with Cornflake, I would try and simplify this image as much as possible, getting rid of the boat, buoys and for sure the crane. In post processing it would be easy to do all of that. Thinking about next time, if this setting is close to you, I'd love to see this with the water absolutely flat even if it means a 10 stop filter and I would move my perspective to the left so there is an equal distance on both sides of the corners of the island (if that is possible). In doing this the image would have a strong high-key look which really pushes that surreal/mystical look.
    Good job brother.
    edited May 15, 2011
    Thank you both...
    Cornflake - you better go back and edit out the 'i dont know anything' line. You make some fantastic points and I really appreciate the thoughtful critique thumb.gif
    As to your points (and Doug's):
    I hate that crane! It's ugly and always there... (used to drop boats in the harbor after their winter rest). That's what I first loved about the way the fog came up that morning - it almost hid the fog. I'll have a go with the clone tool and see if I can rid the shot of it.
    Buoys - again, good point. Consider them gone.
    The boat - this one is tough. That boat is always there. And there are no other vantage points to move around and remove it. I'm hesitant to get rid of it via cloning as it will be obviously fake then (at least to everyone in town who know there should be a boat there).
    A 10 stop is an interesting thought. I'll have to put that on the list to try on the next foggy day. Didn't do so here as I was scared of too much movement in the boat rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks again to both of you...off to PS
    edited May 15, 2011
    I updated the first post incorporating the suggestions above...I think I miss the boat :cry
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited May 15, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I updated the first post incorporating the suggestions above...I think I miss the boat
    I miss the boat too - it seems like a different photo without it. I'm probably a lone voice in this, but I actually prefer the first image. The second seems toned down a bit too much.

Somehow the first photo seems like it has more life.

--- Denise
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Denise is not a lone voice--I prefer the first shot also, for the same reasons she said. IMO, the boat and crane add context to the scene. I also think the fog in #2 has been lightened too much and doesn't look so much like fog to me. I hope you'll get a chance to reshoot it--this looks like a place that would be fun to shoot at different times and in different seasons.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    I like the photo either way. Had you not shown the boat it would have been fine and I would not have missed it. But - since I am a bit of a purist with the elements in a photo....I now know there should be a boat (and the floaty things and the crane)! :D I think it is a beautiful photo.
    edited May 16, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the follow up comments! I think I'll end up with the boat back in when I publish this on the blog Wednesday. It does seem to add a bit of needed color to the scene. Crane will therefore stay as well. But remain at least somewhat hidden by the fog.
    Appreciate all the thoughts!
    E
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    I got to this late so I guess I got to see both at the same time. And I agree, I much prefer the first. The boat really brings balance to that scene.

Maybe #2 with just the boat, the other stuff still cloned out? Do you regret asking opinions from the peanut gallery? lol3.gif
    edited May 16, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Do you regret asking opinions from the peanut gallery? lol3.gif

Never! iloveyou.gif
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    I would have to say #2 but with the boat. I think the boat really helps to give the image a sense of scale.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.