Fremantle Prison

SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
edited May 16, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I worked here briefly way back in the early 1980s in another life, and while I was in Fremantle my son yesterday I took the opportunity to go on a tour with him. I'd recommend it if anyone has the chance of visiting the place. It's apparently the only world-heritage listed prison in the Southern Hemisphere, and was only de-commissioned in 1991.. I've tried for some edgy processing, to match the vibe of the place. Thanks for looking.

The main cell block.
DSC0974-XL.jpg

Where the incoming prisoners had their first shower. After this, they were only allowed two showers per week, unless they worked in the kitchen.
DSC0972-XL.jpg

Where the teenagers were kept, early in the prison's life. They dismantled the ships in which they were sent from England to help build the prison. The floor is made from ship ballast, the the railings (not really visible here) are ship railings.
DSC0981-XL.jpg

Part of the kitchen.
DSC0982-XL.jpg

The main cell block is four stories tall. This shows some of the suicide netting, first introduce in the early 1920s.
DSC1007-XL.jpg

This was the holding cell for the gallows, last used in 1964.
DSC1027-XL.jpg

It was 60 seconds away from this. They used this particular knot to maximise the chance of a quick death by breaking the neck.
DSC1030-2-XL.jpg

Before they wound up down here.
DSC1029-2-XL.jpg
John

Comments

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    This may be the best use of the HDR look I've ever seen. For me it works in every shot. Very nice series.
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Thank you - I'm glad you like them. You'll probably also be interested to know that they aren't HDR. They're all single shots, using LucisArt (among other techniques) to achieve that look.
    John
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    I would agree. The use of HDR effect did not take away the essence of the shots. A bit bright but still all very good. Thank you very much for sharing! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • 1scrappychic1scrappychic Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Very nice. The old prisons are so cool to see now. Well, really any old architecture.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Excellent work, John. Very interesting series.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    That is a really well done series..... Thanks for sharingthumb.gifgary
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Outstanding set of images!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Excellent work, John. Very interesting series.

Tom
    15524779-Ti.gif Readily agreed.
    Super nice from capture to presentation thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Michael
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    You did this justice (pardon the pun - seriously). I think these are very interesting...captivating. Gives me the chills but I think it should.
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Thank you everyone - I really appreciate your comments. I'm glad I managed to convey some of the feel of the place.
    John