Options

Need Help & Advise for Retouch/Edit

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,198 Major grins
edited May 17, 2011 in Finishing School
My dearest friend has a special needs daughter who is graduating from high school in a few weeks. The daughter really doesn't let anyone take her picture, but she agreed to let me take 'one' in my backyard. This was a quick snapshot-type situation and I actually got her to let me take 7 or 8 snaps before she said "Enough!"

That said, I 'know' the quality isn't up to anyone's professional standards, but I want to fix up this little snapshot to make it better to present it to my friend. My editing skills are limited, but I do have PS CS3 so I appreciate any advise or help you guys can offer.

What should I or can I do for this pic to make it pop?

Original:
i-cJNdRtd-L.jpg

My attempt:
i-5pSBfVP-L.jpg

I'm really having trouble with the wrinkles and dark circles under her eyes. I am open to any and all advice (as long as you tell me HOW to do whatever you suggest!) :D

Thank you so much in advance.

Sherry

Comments

• Options
    1scrappychic1scrappychic Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    my fix for wrinkles, circles, is to first duplicate the background, do any blemish, scratch, stray hair fixes on that layer. Then duplicate again. Hide the top duplicated layer, working on the middle layer use the clone (s) tool at 80% and brush over the circles/bags/dark areas, it will look way overdone. Then show the top layer and reduce opacity until it looks realistic, but not overdone. Usually not more than 70% opacity. Toggle the middle layer to compare the before and after. When you have it suitable, merge the middle and top layers of the duplicated background.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    Thanks. I'll give your way a try. I did something similar already, but I don't like the one eye. I keep thinking this photo can be made better, but I'm at a loss of what else to do to it. ne_nau.gif

Thanks again,
    Sherry
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Did you tilt in camera, or is that in post? If so, perhaps try a little less.

I think the retouching looks pretty good - natural, yet attractive. What is it you're hoping to achieve that you haven't yet?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    Give us access to the original and lets see what the forum can do for you.

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2011
    Thank you Diva & Sam. The tilt is in-camera--mostly 'accidental' if you will. Maria (my friend's child) told me she'd let me take 'one' picture and I had mostly talked her into letting me take more than one. I actually took about 5 shots with her standing there with her forehead wrinkled & this scowl on her face, all the while trying to get her to relax and think about something happy or silly. (Maria is autistic, so the furrowed brow & scowl are actually pretty normal for her.) She was telling me that she didn't want to do anymore so I asked my husband to start doing something silly behind me to distract her. He complied, but it didn't seem to be working, so I started to turn away and put the camera down when he started saying "there it is, there it is!" Moving faster than I ever have before, I just pointed the camera at Maria and held the shutter button down until she threw up her hands and said "Enough!" I think I got about 12 more frames--half of them blurry and all of them tilted.

My friend is SO thrilled that we actually have pictures of Maria laughing that she really doesn't care if the color is perfect or the exposure is perfect, etc. Now I, on the other hand, want to give my friend the absolute best image ever. I KNOW my photoshop skills aren't up to the task, but I do want to learn. So here I am asking the experts. I appreciate that you think the eyes look natural. I'm really worried that the left eye (to our right) just doesn't look right where I tried to reduce the dark circle underneath. I want this little image to pop and I just feel like it doesn't right now.

Sam, here's a link to the original. http://psphotos.smugmug.com/Sherry-Shots/Private/Originals-for-Sharing/17101320_tVWdvQ#1295812975_kjBJx3R

I really do appreciate everyone for bearing with me and any help you can offer.

Thanks,
    Sherry