Options

Just submitted my first job to shootdotedit

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited September 7, 2011 in Weddings
So far so good, for me doing my own cull I don't think using their LR3 workflow makes much sense/is worth the trouble.

So if all goes well my new workflow will be,

Sat shoot wedding
Sat/Sun Get wedding off cards and onto NAS/backup
Mon/Tue Cull
Tue/Wed Send to Shootdotedit
Sometime in the next week work on the artistic edits
When I get them back straighten/crop/touch up
Upload to smugmug

Hopefully it works out, the farmer's markets start soon, and I'm not spending all summer in the house.

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Sounds pretty good! I am thinking about jumping on the same bandwagon later this year or next. With the baby and everything I just don't want to spend as much time at my computer anymore ... done that for a couple of years, and you know what ..... when you just do your special processing on the posed photos it will be just good enough or even better, because I'll have all the time in the world to work on the photos that I really care about.

Let us know how it will work out for you. thumb.gif I'll be happy to hear any pros & cons clap.gif
  • Options
    BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    Let's us know how your experience after you are done with it. I am planning on doing the same with mu June weddings. Already ran a test with them and I am pretty happy with the outcome. Good luck.
    Jacek
    edited May 17, 2011
    Stupid question, but are you mailing the cards or uploading them for shootdotedit to work on? Also, how much is it going to run you if you are doing your own culling? My goal for the summer is to get faster in the first place, but I'm open to other solutions so I can actually spend time outside and hiking this summer.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2011
    For my top tier (2 photog) package with me culling around 100 dollars.
    For my regular package between 70-85
    For my mini probably 30 dollars

They have a 30 dollar minimum. This is with no artistic edits, just basic CC and exposure. I'm pretty convinced I'll never give up the cull. I'm uploading them, and they are sending me back via email I guess .xmp's. The job I selected to send them first, is the job I just did in Jacksonville FL, super hot bride and a tent so lots of foreground/background variance in WB. If they get this right, they'll have no trouble with most of my stuff.
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Blurmore wrote: »
    For my top tier (2 photog) package with me culling around 100 dollars.
    For my regular package between 70-85
    For my mini probably 30 dollars

They have a 30 dollar minimum. This is with no artistic edits, just basic CC and exposure. I'm pretty convinced I'll never give up the cull. I'm uploading them, and they are sending me back via email I guess .xmp's. The job I selected to send them first, is the job I just did in Jacksonville FL, super hot bride and a tent so lots of foreground/background variance in WB. If they get this right, they'll have no trouble with most of my stuff.

I'd love to see some before/ afters since I'm planning on jumping on this bandwagon too. I just don't enjoy mass editing lol.
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I just did the math on the typical number of "keeps" I have from a full day and it may wind up being cost prohibitive for me with my pricing. Hmmmm.... I guess I have to get more critical with my culling before it makes the most sense for me to go with shootdotedit. (Off to explore options.)
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    I just did the math on the typical number of "keeps" I have from a full day and it may wind up being cost prohibitive for me with my pricing. Hmmmm.... I guess I have to get more critical with my culling before it makes the most sense for me to go with shootdotedit. (Off to explore options.)

I just did the same thing I went and calculated based on a 10 hour wedding and had 800 images (though it's the biggest ever), so it was about $250, though my packages are mostly 8 hours so the extra hours coverage would cover it I guess... hmm maybe I need to check what it would be for average wedding.

At the same time I get frustrated with different color casts and whatnot plus I do want to have some sort of life lol.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I just did the same thing I went and calculated based on a 10 hour wedding and had 800 images (though it's the biggest ever), so it was about $250, though my packages are mostly 8 hours so the extra hours coverage would cover it I guess... hmm maybe I need to check what it would be for average wedding.

At the same time I get frustrated with different color casts and whatnot plus I do want to have some sort of life lol.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Yeah, under my old rates, I could shoot for up to 12 hours (I'm down to 10 for a full day now). Combine that with the fact that the COL in northern New England isn't that high and my prices are fairly average and I don't think I'll be able to afford to have someone else do my work for a while. I REALLY want to have a life, but I also don't want to be paying someone that large a chunk of what I charge in the first place.

Back to the idea of me getting faster at it in the first place. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    ....I REALLY want to have a life, but I also don't want to be paying someone that large a chunk of what I charge in the first place....

The trick is to use the time that you would have spent editing to do something more productive and more lucrative - maybe take on more shooting for example, so that you can earn more money in the same amount or less time.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    That's what I'm thinking, plus would I rather spend some money to have someone else do it in less time, especially if I don't enjoy it, or keep that money for myself and suffer a while longer. I'm thinking I'm going to spend the money, at least for weddings, but it's a bit of a mute point right now though since I'm establishing myself in a new place so have no bookings lol.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2011
    Ok I'm bumping this old thread...a little bird messaged me a reminder that I never followed up. Too busy...but here goes. This was my first shootdotedit wedding, and my first wedding I traveled long distance.

Nicki & Dave Married May 1 2011 Venue: Palm Valley Gardens (near Jacksonville)

IMG7845-L.jpg

This was a classic 1.5 stop under-exposure at high ISO pulled out and color corrected well. Overall I am very happy with their color consistency for skin tone.

IMG7956-L.jpg

This portrait with fill light, I initially judged as a bit edgy. Detail is definitely hot in the dress, but was not objectionable in print. My chosen highlight profile was "bright". CC I think is spot on for the skin.

IMG9925-L.jpg

Classic window light portraits I found to be over shadow brightened and lacking contrast, noise really started to show. This shot is meant to be moodier with darker shadows, color once again, very good.

img9925DE-L.jpg

My final vision for this image with S.E as a starting place.

IMG8057-L.jpg

Detail shots with off camera fill flash, very happy with this processing and the color balance between sun and flash.

IMG9984-L.jpg
    Very impressed with the color correction in the full shade, long lens shot.

IMG8089-L.jpg

The early afternoon spring sun in sunny Florida has a quality all its own, loved shooting in it and glad I was ready to ride the flash shooting into it. No complaints about this exposure or CC wise, they saw I purposefully over exposed it a little and made the compensation I would make.

IMG8097-L.jpg

That light is something else.

IMG0027-L.jpg

Very impressed with these backlit shade skin tones, one of the hardest situations to get the CC right.

IMG0031-L.jpg
    They grayscaled this 3 stop blowout to indicate that they just couldn't save it, I wouldn't be able to either.

IMG8177-L.jpg

Bare bulbin' it off camera on these mixed shade portraits, results are right on the money for what I wanted.

IMG8297-L.jpg

Bouncing flash in a tent, no hiccups, father exposure wise than I would have taken it...but still love the results.

IMG8543-L.jpg

I wouldn't have tried to correct this for skin (and should have done it myself) it was shot with gelled stage lights, they did their best to get those skin tones right, not a bad job but not the effect I wanted.

IMG8481-L.jpg

My dance swirly light shots were a little flat and needed some contrast adjustment to fit my liking, but not much.

IMG8404-L.jpg

For the most part I was in love...and I've since sent 4 more jobs. Less than 15 shots needed anything but cropping and cloning after they were done. This was my FIRST job and each one after got better as they got accustomed to my flash style. I can't offer any advice on their culling service, as I did not use it. I'll keep the cull to myself at any price, but it is nice to know it is available if something terrible happens to me, or I'm just that swamped. Thumbs up for shootdotedit for me. If you have any specific questions shoot. If you want to see SOOC -> conversions I can dig them up if you want to see something specific. Check out the whole gallery here. http://www.jasonknauer.com/Weddings/Miller/17210086_7mtQ6N#1305861731_WtTxLsH