Options

Did you have to be there?

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited May 16, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I didn't think I was going to get an entry for this challenge that could compete with all the potential sentimental shots, but then I saw this.

I was staring at this landscape for a couple of hours, thinking it was neat, but nothing too special, until the setting sun found a gap in the thunderclouds behind me in the west, and I literally stood there and said wow. Then said, Oh, DGrin challenge! I ran over (not that easy in this terrain) to the Yucca family tableau (I always start anthropomorphizing after a couple of days on my own) to try to double dip on the challenge, and got this as one of my shots.

So, is it just me, cause I was there, or does anyone else think this is special enough for a wow? (or see the family tableau?).

I uploaded the fullsize version to the challege galleries, but I'm sitting in the middle of no-where trying to get line of site to a microwave tower and tethering my computer to my phone, and I don't want to try to upload another full size to my own smugmug gallery, so if this isn't high res enough you can look at it in the challenge gallery.

I have some leeway with the crop, (I have extra image all the way around), and I'm never sure about my levels adjustment when I'm working on my laptop outdoors.

Thanks for looking, and sorry for not commenting more right now, it's pretty hard on my phone.
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    I love those Golden Hour moments, when a familiar landscape suddenly lights up with the magic of this golden light. Hearing you describe the scene makes me say wow as much as the photo does. I think the composition is fine as is. When I look at this image, I can't help but feel that it needs a little slider tweaking (i.e., Lightroom edits). Not sure what, but I'm feeling a little more contrast, clarity and vibrance might show us the light better.

Greg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    I love those Golden Hour moments, when a familiar landscape suddenly lights up with the magic of this golden light. Hearing you describe the scene makes me say wow as much as the photo does. I think the composition is fine as is. When I look at this image, I can't help but feel that it needs a little slider tweaking (i.e., Lightroom edits). Not sure what, but I'm feeling a little more contrast, clarity and vibrance might show us the light better.

Greg

thanks for the help. Here's a version with levels adjusted, I didn't want to touch vibrance (or saturation, since i didn't shoot this in RAW), because everything was already glowing and I didn't want people to think that color might be artificial.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.