A few from Clyne Garden, Swansea

rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited May 19, 2011 in Holy Macro
All shot yesterday afternoon in the space of three hours. Canon 5D MkII and Sigma 105mm macro. Flowers were at Clyne Public Gardens in Swansea. My DB carried the 055XPROB tripod! (It's so heavy)

Aquilegia
5727562323_cf381d1839_o.jpg

Orchid

5727561997_43219aefc3_o.jpg

Osteospermum

5727563337_3245cfb60b_o.jpg

Peony

5727562583_d5d29ddf74_o.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    Lovely series of shots- esp like the Peony - using a zoom effect filter ?

Brian v.
  • DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    Beautiful images :)
  • rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    esp like the Peony - using a zoom effect filter ?

No, Brian. It's a little technique I developed - although others have no doubt done it. It gives the impression that you have zoomed the lens, while at the same time fixed the main subject area. You could do the same thing with two shots on a tripod so long as the subject was still. I use it for flowers, but you could use it with portraits, still-life etc. When other processing is finished do this (in Photoshop)...

1. Add a new duplicate layer.
    2. Select the main focus area of the shot (the front petals in this case) using the elliptical marquee tool.
    3. Feather the selection to the maximum feather limit to get a nice smooth transition.
    4. Reverse the selection so the focus area is not selected, but everything else is.
    5. Apply a radial blur FILTER/BLUR/RADIAL BLUR and use the 'zoom' setting. You need to adjust the limit slider when you do it.
    6. If the effect is too much reduce the opacity of the blur layer to about 80%, else flatten the shot and you are done.