Options

Splitting Image Directory

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited May 20, 2011 in Finishing School
I'm running out of HD space in my laptop so I want to split my folder with all my images in it. I want to put the images I'm no longer working on or using on a separate external drive and keep the images I am using on the laptop. I do want to keep all the previews on the laptop though.

I'm thinking of just moving the file to the external drive. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any considerations.

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    rickp wrote: »

I'm thinking of just moving the file to the external drive. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any considerations.

Thanks
    R.

its safer to copy them instead of moving
    if you move them and something goes wrong , the files are gone ...

check if all are copied correct
    then delete from laptop
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    its safer to copy them instead of moving
    if you move them and something goes wrong , the files are gone ...

Check if all are copied correct
    then delete from laptop

+1
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 17, 2011
    I keep no image files on my laptop's hard drive.

Instead I use two portable USB drives to store my image files, AND a back up copy.

When I import files from my card from my camera, Lightroom copies my files to both portable drives, simultaneously. I keep my catalog on my main hard drive, and a copy on each portable drive as well.

Belt and suspenders!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I keep no image files on my laptop's hard drive.

Instead I use two portable USB drives to store my image files, AND a back up copy.

When I import files from my card from my camera, Lightroom copies my files to both portable drives, simultaneously. I keep my catalog on my main hard drive, and a copy on each portable drive as well.

Belt and suspenders!

AND, just to clarify, make sure that one of those copies is offsite.

It is very possible to lose both your original and backup copies at the same time. (Fire, theft, bad luck, etc.) An offsite backup saved my bacon (and irreplaceable photos and memories) very recently. Best $100 I ever spent: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=195439
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 17, 2011
    I agree, Mark. But I would make the off site storage a third copy ( like you did ) , not one of my two portable hard drives.

Good point!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    The other important thing, no where you put the images. I am still looking for some..... I know they are backed up but just lots to wade through.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    hey guys,
    I just moved the images to the external drive. I kept the images I'm working on on the laptop.
    As for a backup, I'm pretty anal about that so I still have 3 copies of ALL my files, 2 external HDs and 1 CD copy.

Pathfinder,
    How are you importing to both drives simultaneously? That's a great idea and time savor.

R.
    Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.