Options

the Elks

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited May 20, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
The Elks Club! Imagine the hey-day in the 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s.
I can see my Mom walking up the stairs carrying her evening purse with matching shoes and an up-do; Dad with his suit and tie.
What an evening! This place was the place to be Friday and Saturday nights. C C appreciated.

DSC3458a-XL.jpg

DSC3461a-XL.jpg

Re-post using suggestions:

DSC3461b-XL.jpg

DSC3461c-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    Interesting building ,they look a bit crooked tho-could you straighten them? I would crop the bottom one to get the power lines off, and have you tried doing HDR on it? with the grass, and that rust drip, I'd give it a whirle and see how it comes out.
    I'd crop it too.
    I wish the people were in the picture, would make what you see in your mind really stick...get a model and do her up pin up style and get her to sit on the front steps with a cig hanging in her hand...
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2011
    Interesting building ,they look a bit crooked tho-could you straighten them? I would crop the bottom one to get the power lines off, and have you tried doing HDR on it? with the grass, and that rust drip, I'd give it a whirle and see how it comes out.
    I'd crop it too.
    I wish the people were in the picture, would make what you see in your mind really stick...get a model and do her up pin up style and get her to sit on the front steps with a cig hanging in her hand...

thanks much for your suggestions - I TRULY appreciate it! Actually - - most of your suggestions are what I already thought. After I uploaded I saw it was crooked...easy fix as is the crop (though I need to keep one as a very true image. As for the HDR... if I were talented with that type of PP I might try... maybe a bit of tweaking on the rust, etc. instead might give it that pop for the color version. You blew me away with suggesting people for props - fun idea. Unfortunately I'm not there...but always return. That idea reminds of a scene in "The Shining" :D
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    Great detail on the shots, Eia. Personally, If I see this kind of structure, I would love to use a wide angle lens to really distort them in a way to give the shot an attitude. Hehehe. That's is, if I have a really good wide angle lens of which I don't have. rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Great detail on the shots, Eia. Personally, If I see this kind of structure, I would love to use a wide angle lens to really distort them in a way to give the shot an attitude. Hehehe. That's is, if I have a really good wide angle lens of which I don't have. rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif

Thank you. As a matter of fact I have a wide angle... Probably my gave buti wanted to try my 55 mm lens and I didn't have it with me! Ugh i
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    Thank you. As a matter of fact I have a wide angle... Probably my gave buti wanted to try my 55 mm lens and I didn't have it with me! Ugh i

Dont you just HATE when that happens? lol....all the time I think, ok I'm going to bring this lens and leave the other at home so I dont have to battle the bag...lol...then I wish I had the other one with me!
    Murphy's law ya know! lol

I recently had a Shriners hat too, and I sold it on Ebay...but I have some prop clothes you could use on a model if you want to attempt it! I used to dress pin up girls and have them pose for photographers on shoot sets...and I sold vintage clothing and pin up girl clothing, so if you are ever interested, let me know and what size your model is and I"ll send you the stuff :)
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    Dont you just HATE when that happens? lol....all the time I think, ok I'm going to bring this lens and leave the other at home so I dont have to battle the bag...lol...then I wish I had the other one with me!
    Murphy's law ya know! lol

I recently had a Shriners hat too, and I sold it on Ebay...but I have some prop clothes you could use on a model if you want to attempt it! I used to dress pin up girls and have them pose for photographers on shoot sets...and I sold vintage clothing and pin up girl clothing, so if you are ever interested, let me know and what size your model is and I"ll send you the stuff :)

You are Way too Kind! THANK YOU. I re-posted images p/suggestions.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    I think #1 is wonderfully done. The sky and grass and buildings distract me in the other shots, as do the color versions. I think #1 is a very strong photograph!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Hi Eia.......I agree with Lauren......The first one is well done:Dgary
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    I think #1 is wonderfully done. The sky and grass and buildings distract me in the other shots, as do the color versions. I think #1 is a very strong photograph!
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Hi Eia.......I agree with Lauren......The first one is well done:Dgary

Thanks guys...I too still like the first...maybe i will rework it a bit for a grittier feel.?
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    I see why you are considering a grittier look for this shot (#1) but for me it works really well and I would not change it. If you decide to rework and post another version, I'll let you know if I have any comments.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Oh you brought some wonderful memories with these photos. Every year my parents took my brother and I to the Elks for a fancy shrimp dinner for our birthdays. Our birthdays were 5 days apart.

Thanks for the memories :D
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Oh you brought some wonderful memories with these photos. Every year my parents took my brother and I to the Elks for a fancy shrimp dinner for our birthdays. Our birthdays were 5 days apart.

Thanks for the memories :D

I wonder if there are any active ELKS around these days?
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    I wonder if there are any active ELKS around these days?

Yes .. there is one still in town here, but in a different building. Not as good as the ol' days tho.