Options

?? coverflow effect

carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
edited May 30, 2011 in Finishing School
First of all I'm not sure whether 'coverflow' is the right way to describe what I mean - I hope so:)
I want to combine a number of images, say 7 into one so I can use the end result as a banner on my web site. The general idea is one central image with 3 on either side, angled towards the main image, possible with drop shadows.

I don't want an animated effect using java or flash, I just want to create a static image - any ideas?

I'm on a mac.

Caroline
Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Are you using Photoshop? I found a tutorial for creating multiple polaroid shots from one image. http://onsoftware.en.softonic.com/how-to-create-a-polaroid-collage-in-photoshop. It shows how to make the frames and create the placement of the individual "polaroids." You could use a different image for each group and then arrange the groups as you wish. You should start with layout size that works for a banner. (DGrin tells you how: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1932865.)

You can tailor the polaroid frame to your size, such as making the white frame equal on all four sides. You can then do a drop shadow on each polaroid group, found in Layer Styles.

I'm not a Photoshop expert but I think this would work. It should also work fine in PS Elements. If you don't have Photoshop I could take a stab at creating it for you if you sent me the images. Feel free to PM me if I can help.

Hope this helps. Others may have different and better ideas for you.

Lauren

P.S. I'm not touting OnOne software--it just seemed like a useful tutorial. :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Are you using Photoshop? I found a tutorial for creating multiple polaroid shots from one image. http://onsoftware.en.softonic.com/how-to-create-a-polaroid-collage-in-photoshop. It shows how to make the frames and create the placement of the individual "polaroids." You could use a different image for each group and then arrange the groups as you wish. You should start with layout size that works for a banner. (DGrin tells you how: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1932865.)

You can tailor the polaroid frame to your size, such as making the white frame equal on all four sides. You can then do a drop shadow on each polaroid group, found in Layer Styles.

I'm not a Photoshop expert but I think this would work. It should also work fine in PS Elements. If you don't have Photoshop I could take a stab at creating it for you if you sent me the images. Feel free to PM me if I can help.

Hope this helps. Others may have different and better ideas for you.

Lauren

P.S. I'm not touting OnOne software--it just seemed like a useful tutorial. :D

Lauren thank you for the link - nice tutorial ;-)

I love your home page with recent pics below the main image, how did you do it please?

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Caroline, thanks for the comments. When you are logged in to your home page, you should see several boxes at the top for "Tools," "Themes," etc. One box is "Homepage Layout." The pulldown menu has an option for "Recent Photos." Highlight that and it should show your recent photos on your home page. If it doesn't work, I recommend you post the question in the SmugMug Customization forum and you'll get some help with it.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Caroline, thanks for the comments. When you are logged in to your home page, you should see several boxes at the top for "Tools," "Themes," etc. One box is "Homepage Layout." The pulldown menu has an option for "Recent Photos." Highlight that and it should show your recent photos on your home page. If it doesn't work, I recommend you post the question in the SmugMug Customization forum and you'll get some help with it.

Cheers,
    Lauren

Thanks Lauren - It's a long time since I checked out the features Smugmug so kindly offers us !

Cheers,
    Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    I've moved this to Finishing School. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops