closeup candids

Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited May 18, 2011 in People
Hi. I haven't posted anything in a long while though I'm still lurking. I recently had the opportunity to get some pics of my 3 grand-nieces. I didn't want to try to pose them and interrupt their fun, totally candid. The following were taken under a white canopy/tent with screening on all four sides so it was really tight using my 70-200 f/4L IS lens on my 40D. They had taken a break from swimming to have a snack. I did add some color actions in post.

CC please.

1. Got Cheese?
IMG5249-warm-pink-M.jpg

2. Apples and apple pie, yum... FYI, this girl is part Spanish and is really tanned.
IMG5252-comso-M.jpg

3. She has gorgeous blue eyes but the color you see is a toy boat reflected in her eye.
IMG5268-Awesomeness-M.jpg
Katie

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    I like them a lot!
  • Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Thanks! I was beginning to wonder if I was nuts. I haven't heard anything from the girl's mothers about the pics!
    Katie
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    No, your not nuts. I have found that there is a certain segment of the photo buying public that if the child isn't looking at the camera, with a smile, they aren't enthused. I much prefer natural looking candids myself, but different strokes and all.

Did you get some of those too?
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    The skin tones seem a bit off--

Looks like a fun day!
    edited May 18, 2011
    Thanks Bryce. You're certainly right about parents wanting kids looking at the camera. I do have plenty of them looking at the camera. I wasn't doing this for pay and was doing it more for my own pleasure and to document the day.

Thanks for the input Indiegirl. It was a fun day. That is something I struggle with as my monitor neither expensive nor calibrated. I used the white balance tool in Camera Raw before importing to PS and they looked pretty close to their real skin tones to me - before I processed them with PS actions that is. The brown-haired girl is really, really brown and it looks pretty close to her skin tone on my monitor. As for the other two pics the actions did change their tone, as they were meant to.

Thanks for the C&C :)
    Katie
    edited May 18, 2011
    Here's the original version of #3 before I applied one of LCA's Vintage Touch actions. Skin tone look okay here? Of course, the pink vest is casting pink on her lower face at least. She is very pale.

IMG5268-Original-M.jpg
    Katie