Island in the fog - the 10 stop version

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 22, 2011 in Landscapes
Doug suggested I reshoot a recent pano with a 10-stop and, as we are in day 3 of leaving in pea soup, I thought I would comply.
Here is the new version (I think I like this one more than the prior:wink)

i-8FN5vMq-XL.jpg

Original thread with prior attempts for comparison: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=197391

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited May 18, 2011
    I like this one a lot. It has a polished / finished look that pulls it above the original shots for me.

--- Denise
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Good work. I also like it better.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    agreed! without the reflections on the water (which was a bit distracting to the eye), it really makes just the island pop out, as it should. lovely!
    //Leah
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Nice shot. Love that there is no reflection.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    I guess practice makes perfect! Cuz this one is wonderful! I too like it...very lovely scene.
  • jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Eyal,

I like it as well. There is interesting mix of sharpness at the left foreground edge of the island, and hazy murk elsewhere. I also think the colors of the dock and house to the left add interest and variety.

The only thing semi-obvious that catches my eye, at least at this small size, is the banding where the frames were stitched? Some of them coincide with tree reflections maybe, but the one at the right, towards the end of the island I think is noticeable and maybe the one that aligns with the red structure on the dock?

I'm not sure what you're using to stitch, but I have found Hugin to be excellent AND it's free. I'll convert RAW files to high quality TIFFs and then stitch and process.

I tried to find a larger version on your website but couldn't. Your work is outstanding.

John
    edited May 19, 2011
    Thanks John
    I sent these from Lightroom to CS5 and used the merge to panorama function. I have PTgui but find it a bit clunky and not as seamless a transition.
    I have to say I did not notice the banding. I did do some clone work to remove the crane that lies atop the red structure and to remove a few boats in the background immediately in front of that crane. I wonder if that is what you are seeing. I'll have to take another look at the original when I'm home and can see it larger.
    Appreciate the critique and the kind words about my work.
    E
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Very, very cool my brother! Love the water and also the image has much better balance from edge to edge from this perspective. I'd love to see this large.
    edited May 19, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Very, very cool my brother! Love the water and also the image has much better balance from edge to edge from this perspective. I'd love to see this large.

Sure thing...once I fix the banding (I can see it on my iPhone but not larger images ne_nau.gif)
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    The smooth water definitely elevates it from the original. Nice image!
  • atippatipp Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    Nice capture. I, too, noticed the banding in the stitched areas. It looks like a slight magenta color shift running vertically. One suggestion to eliminate that would be to do a custom white balance check just before you shoot, then shoot the full series in full manual exposure.

One other suggestion. It appears that you shot this series with your camera in a horizontal position. The result is an aspect ratio that is very wide in relationship to its height. Next time, try shooting the series with the camera in a vertical position. It takes more shots to cover the same distance, but while you still get a panoramic, the resulting aspect ratio is a bit more pleasing. This is all just my opinion, of course, especially if the effect you were looking for is exactly what you shot.

Panos can be very tricky, especially when shooting water, since it usually is moving. Again, very nice shot.
    Allen

Sony R1, Bogen Tri and Mono Pods, Epson Photo Storage device, and Kata rain gear. I travel light...

www.catgraphpics.biz
    edited May 22, 2011
    Thanks Allen
    I went with the landscape orientation mostly because it was faster and there was not much that was interesting above or below the crop shown...I likely would have cropped to this ration anyway.
    As for the WB, I shot in Auto but manually corrected it in Lightroom and synced all five photos so the WB should have been the same for all. The settings were otherwise manual. I started a pano in PTGui but haven't had a chance to play with it in CS5 yet.
    Appreciate the comments
    E
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    This long exposure is a winner for sure. Great job.