Shooting jewelry in a globe

Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited May 19, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Greetings,

I recently picked up a 16" white acrylic dome and used an old ring of mine for a test shoot.

Haven't had time to pick up some glass yet so I used white foam core for one shot and black seamless for the other.

I used two Alien Bee B1600's both with and without softboxes. The results were so similar I'll post the shots with 7" reflectors.

Globetworeflectors500h.jpg

Globeblack500h.jpg

Globesetupgray.jpg

Cheers, Don

Comments

• MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    please excuse my ignorance, but how did you get that ring to stand up on it's own? lol
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Very good! I have been battling with shadows on object photography with barely acceptable results. I ended up with putting the shadows where I hope it doesn't bother people (see example below).

p.s. you shoot Olympus but you have Canon L-series softboxes :patch rolleyes1.gif

MG4463-L.jpg
    ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    please excuse my ignorance, but how did you get that ring to stand up on it's own? lol

Nothing fancy, just some window caulking and cloned it out later...

RingtentOOC.jpg
    DeVerm wrote: »
    Very good! I have been battling with shadows on object photography with barely acceptable results. I ended up with putting the shadows where I hope it doesn't bother people (see example below).

p.s. you shoot Olympus but you have Canon L-series softboxes :patch rolleyes1.gif

ciao!
    Nick.

Is that with the on board flash Nick ?

You could try a couple of reflectors... or a speedlight on camera bounced off the ceiling.

Very generally speaking two lights is best. Start with one high at 11 o'clock, reflector at 5 o'clock. Second light low at 3 o'clock.

Adjust as necessary.

Cheers, Don
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Wow... beautiful photo of a beautiful piece of jewelry. I like the second mostly...because of the shadows...but I like the background from the first.
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Don Kondra wrote: »
    Is that with the on board flash Nick ?

You could try a couple of reflectors... or a speedlight on camera bounced off the ceiling.

Very generally speaking two lights is best. Start with one high at 11 o'clock, reflector at 5 o'clock. Second light low at 3 o'clock.

Adjust as necessary

I used the 7D on board flash only as wireless transmitter but it flashes a little anyway of course. It triggered a 580EXII speedlight low at 8 o'clock to kill shadows on the foreground. I also experimented with my ringflash but the 100mm macro lens on the 7D (=160mm) puts me too far from the biggish subjects I was working with (foodstuffs) for the ring flash.

I now have a reflector and a 5D2 and extra L glass so I might get to use the ringflash effectively. I know I need more flashes :D

I will surely use your general starting setup next time, thank you! I'm even gonna check if my ringflash can be configured as slave haha rolleyes1.gif

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here