Options

Mc 12 www

WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
edited May 31, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have had a wonderful couple of days with sunshine looking for weathered, withered, or worn subjects.

Give it to me straight. What do you think? Are there any that I should pursue further? I've got about another dozen ideas of places to go and subjects to shoot. Woohoo! :D

1. One
P1390408Adjust-L.jpg

2. Two
P1390410Adjust-L.jpg

3. Rail Fence
P1390252Adjust-L.jpg

4. Spring has Sprung
P1390366Adjust-L.jpg

5. Five
P1390407AdjustBW-L.jpg

6. Windowbox
P1390420Adjust-L.jpg

7. Old Glory
P1390428Adjust-L.jpg

8. Rust Junky's Delight
P1390433Adjust-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    I like 1 and 5, they look weathered and withered to me. Nice captures.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Congratulations on making the MC! And same for having ideas and more to shoot!

But really #1. One is way cool to me! And even though I like it, you might explore it a bit more , just to see...though I suspect you have.

#2. Is right up there as well. And I do think they are interesting and unique.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, Keith and Tom!

I was afraid the numbers were going to demand more exploration under different lighting conditions. It is in a scary spot. There is about a 15 foot unprotected dropoff into a window well right next to where I shot from. :yikes It is not a place where I want to get too immersed in shooting and wander off the edge. I do not want to make the news for doing something stooooopid. Maybe I'll force my husband to come along and be my spotter. :D
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Is it possible to get the numbers straight on?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 19, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Congratulations on making the MC! And same for having ideas and more to shoot!

But really #1. One is way cool to me! And even though I like it, you might explore it a bit more , just to see...though I suspect you have.

#2. Is right up there as well. And I do think they are interesting and unique.

15524779-Ti.gif

Think both of these have great potential!
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Good start - I like Greg's suggestion too about seeing the numbers more straight on. But I also think Old Glory has potential. Thanks for posting so soon. GP
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Okay, here it comes from left field!! I like the perspectives on all three number shots & they are each okay, but to me they lack something (not sure what). I also like the perspective, lighting & colors of the fence, but not thrilled with the background - I really do like the arch, the shadow & the lichen/moss. I think this one has potential to play around with. I really like Spring has Sprung - the name is great & the rusty spring with the green background - really cool! I'd probably crop the metal thing out of the upper right corner - I think if the right side was cropped a little, the angle between the spring & the tree would jump out. Of the windowbox & Old Glory, I like Old Glory - maybe play with the angle a little - but the detail is very nice - & if I wouldn't have seen the windowbox first, I would have wondered how big the flag was!! I really like the colors & processing on #8 Rust Junky, the comp/perspective is kinda cool too but the subject lacks something.

I think my favorite is Spring has Sprung - sorry I'm being "disagreeable" with everybody else!! Oddball out - that's me! :)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I really like Spring has Sprung - the name is great & the rusty spring with the green background - really cool! I'd probably crop the metal thing out of the upper right corner - I think if the right side was cropped a little, the angle between the spring & the tree would jump out....

I went back and looked at these again and also agree that this shot has potential.

Frankly, I'm impressed that you got out there and tried so many things already!
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    To be honest Karen, these are definitely all worn, weathered, withered items. And all very pretty. But I don't get a sense of story from any of them.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    Thanks for all of the great feedback! I took some of the suggestions and reworked a several of the shots.

Thanks, Gretchen and Greta. I am really inspired by this theme. I find old things really appealing.

Paul, I am glad that you think they are pretty. I have been working on that. Your suggestion to develop the story more is a good one. I'll keep it in mind as I continue to shoot. And thanks for pushing me. :D

Bill, maybe what you find missing is a sense of story.

#1a - Reshot in the late afternoon sun and a little more straight on. If I get any more straight on, I will have to zoom in from farther away.
    P1390442CropAdjust-L.jpg

#4a - Spring has sprung - cropped
    P1390366AdjustCrop-L.jpg

#7a - Old Glory reshot in late afternoon sun. I saw this as a story of a patriot that left Old Glory behind. But maybe it is not obvious enough.
    P1390453CropAdjust-L.jpg

And 2 new ones. Do these have more story?

#9 Seasons in the Sun
    P1390303BWAdjust-L.jpg

#10 September's Glory
    P1390482Adjust-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    Obviously, the chair and flowers aren't doing it.

Fortunately, I have plenty more ideas and another week to shoot!

I have tried a few with the numbers from farther away, but I like the close ups better. I may process one and post later for feedback.

In the meantime, I have a couple more for feedback.

#11 Beachfront Property
    P1390499Adjust-L.jpg

#12 Too Cool for School
    P1390644Adjust-L.jpg

Reshoots are possible on #11. But on #12, I don't think I'll get the breezy conditions necessary for a reshoot.
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I think for all of them so far, the latest #1 is my favorite. But you know, that chair (or even the dandelions in front of it) has got some real potential as a macro study......or even from an unusual angle....
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    I agree with Leah on these. The dried flowers say "dried" rather than "withered" to me, even though it is a lovely shot. #1 has a bit of everything: unusual subject, appealing lines with that number, color, interesting DOF, etc. and the chair definitely tells a story. If you wanted to try working with it, can you manipulate its placement (move it into dried grasses?) or try shooting it from some other perspectives?
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    awe man ... I can't decide ... I think my fav is #3 .. Rail Fence... but several others are nice, too!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    I really like the last one "#12 Too Cool for School" !!!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    I think for all of them so far, the latest #1 is my favorite. But you know, that chair (or even the dandelions in front of it) has got some real potential as a macro study......or even from an unusual angle....

Thanks, Leah! What do you think of this one? Slightly different angle in the late afternoon sun.

#1b
    P1390437CropAdjust-L.jpg

I have been trying to figure out the best way to shoot the chair. I'm not sure I'll have good light before the end of the challenge. But maybe it would be interesing in the rain.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I agree with Leah on these. The dried flowers say "dried" rather than "withered" to me, even though it is a lovely shot. #1 has a bit of everything: unusual subject, appealing lines with that number, color, interesting DOF, etc. and the chair definitely tells a story. If you wanted to try working with it, can you manipulate its placement (move it into dried grasses?) or try shooting it from some other perspectives?

Thanks, Gretchen! I'm glad you like the flowers. I thought maybe they were a total bust.

I am afraid if I moved the chair, it would completely fall apart. One of the dandelions has popped out now, so that gives me a different opportunity. I'll give it another go if I can get decent light before the end of the challenge and maybe even if I can't. :D
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    awe man ... I can't decide ... I think my fav is #3 .. Rail Fence... but several others are nice, too!

Thanks, Jenn! I went back and took some more pictures of the fence. What I really want to try with it is focus stacking, like the macro folks do. I don't have software to do that yet. Maybe I can try it before the end of the challenge, but it may be too much for this one.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    photo-bug wrote: »
    I really like the last one "#12 Too Cool for School" !!!

Excellent! Thanks, Tatiana! I thought this one had a good story. And I like the young man getting weathered. But I wasn't sure that the image was strong enough or that people would see it as weathered.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    As if y'all didn't have enough to think about, I went out yesterday evening and got a couple more shots for consideration. Better?

#13 Final Resting Place
    P1390915Adjust-L.jpg

#13a Final Resting Place - B&W
    P1390915BW-L.jpg

#14 Wagon (better title needed)
    P1390932StraightenAdjust-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Excellent! Thanks, Tatiana! I thought this one had a good story. And I like the young man getting weathered. But I wasn't sure that the image was strong enough or that people would see it as weathered.

To me it IS very "weathered" and in addition, it shows weather too - hey, anybody can take a shot of some textures...
    this one is different!
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Now I like your last one, too - very nice perspective and color!
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    SaffronSpiderSaffronSpider Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2011
    I really like #6 and #3. Good Luck!
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    You've got a lot of nice shots here - but that last one with the wagon really jumps for me - love the rich colors & perspective - the back of the wagon pointing into the field, with the ridge as a backdrop - very nice! The wheel is nice too, but I think I prefer less sky & more ridge.

Otherwise, I really like the crop on the spring - I wonder if I'd like it better if it were rotated to the left (so the spring goes up & down instead of across).

And that shot of the kids on the pier - really cool! It looks like they should be falling down with that wave crashing!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Great color and perspective in #13 and #14. I think I prefer #14. I wonder whether having a bit more of the context would be good when it isn't seen in a thread following a wagon wheel, but perhaps we see enough to figure it out. Great shot!
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I really like #13... it just keeps jumping out at me. The colors are great and I love the point of view. There is a lot of detail there.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Thanks for all of the great comments! I have really made it hard for myself. headscratch.gif I really like the wagon and the wagon wheel, but it may be too expected. I like some of the others visually, but they may be lacking story.

I had a couple of tweaks on earlier ones.

#4b Spring Has Sprung - rotated
    P1390366AdjustCropRotate-L.jpg

I am leaning towards this one, because it is different. Is it strong enough visually? Does either crop make it stronger?

#12 - Too Cool for School - original
    P1390644Adjust-L.jpg

#12a - Too Cool for School - cropped
    P1390644AdjustCrop2-L.jpg

#12b - Too Cool for School - cropped more
    P1390644AdjustCrop-L.jpg

One new one - not sure if anyone will understand the connection to the theme. Not sure about the title.

#14 Stormy
    P1400130StraightenAdjust-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    I am much more drawn to the wagon than to these, and it is a compelling shot even if it might be more expected. I get how the last shot is connected to the theme - great idea - but think the wagon is stronger. Not sure about the too cool for school and various crops. Hope this is of some help to you!
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    I too think that the "#14 Wagon" is stronger and the title can be something like: "past and present" or "looking back", or similar... I would go for it.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Thanks, Gretchen and Tatiana! Thanks for the title suggestions. I went with End of Days, but I am not certain that I will stick with it. What do you think?