Options

Ideas for a baby photoshoot

babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited July 6, 2011 in People
My friend asked if I could take some shots for her few-months-old baby and the parents. The baby can't do much except for lying on her back and on her tummy, so she cannot sit. I don't have a studio so we'll probably just do it at her house, which I'll be surveying first as soon as possible.

Any ideas for poses, how to induce nice candids, etc? The following is the gear I have:

Nikon D7000
Nikon 35 mm f/1.8
Nikon 17-55 mm f/2.8
Nikon 85 mm f/3.5
Nikon SB-800
Nikon SB-900

That's about it. I don't have any light shaping equipments, but I could rent some if needed. So don't count them out of your advice. I don't think I can rent any portable seamless backgrounds though, unless you have some DIY advice on that.

If you could give some sample pictures that can give me some ideas, that'd be much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    My favorite shot from my last baby shoot:

5672546513_4998d69b25_z.jpg

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    I have been playing around with a few ideas for newborns and infants. I have shied away from doing babies until they were able to sit up as I just couldn't capture anything I was remotely happy with. There are only so many things you can do with a subject that "just lays there" and is sleeping most of the time.

I don't have this perfected yet, it's still a work in progress, but it may give you an idea.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    My favorite shot from my last baby shoot:

5672546513_4998d69b25_z.jpg

Pretty cool! Can I ask what your environment was at the time? Were you in a studio? How did you get the black background? What was your lighting equipment?

Unfortunately I probably can't do anything like this since the baby can't even sit yet.

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2011
    I have been playing around with a few ideas for newborns and infants. I have shied away from doing babies until they were able to sit up as I just couldn't capture anything I was remotely happy with. There are only so many things you can do with a subject that "just lays there" and is sleeping most of the time.

I don't have this perfected yet, it's still a work in progress, but it may give you an idea.

Thank you! That's a pretty creative idea. Is that a background that you bought somewhere?
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2011

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! That video and her website gives me some ideas! One question, in the video I see that she is shooting against a wall, and obviously the wall is not seamless. Yet in the sample result in the video around 0:40 it looks like the background is pretty seamless. How would she have done that?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Thank you! That's a pretty creative idea. Is that a background that you bought somewhere?
    No, not purchased. Made it myself with fleece some green felt and a heavy duty needle. I have found that fleece absorbs most of the light but am still working on eliminating shadows from the baby laying directly on it.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2011
    No, not purchased. Made it myself with fleece some green felt and a heavy duty needle. I have found that fleece absorbs most of the light but am still working on eliminating shadows from the baby laying directly on it.

wow you sew that yourself? pretty awesome clap.gif thanks for sharing

any other photoshoot ideas? Thanks!
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    I didn't execute this very well but the parent hand/arm shot is a classic for newborns. I used a navy blue piece of fabric and draped it over a chair near a window.

219695396_Gya92-M-2.jpg

I like to focus a bit on the parents and the interaction. I think these shots are probably more popular with parents than I ever expect.
    805952726_Lc3H2-M-2.jpg

806070267_scqG2-M-1.jpg

Good luck! I am sure you will figure out something awesome.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    quark wrote: »
    I didn't execute this very well but the parent hand/arm shot is a classic for newborns. I used a navy blue piece of fabric and draped it over a chair near a window.

219695396_Gya92-M-2.jpg

I like to focus a bit on the parents and the interaction. I think these shots are probably more popular with parents than I ever expect.
    805952726_Lc3H2-M-2.jpg

806070267_scqG2-M-1.jpg

Good luck! I am sure you will figure out something awesome.

Thank you very much! the first shot is indeed classic. It would have been perfect if the baby's face was more visible :)
  • Options
    afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    You mention the baby is a couple months so it is more of an awkward age if your not used to them. Past the traditional newborn shots but they can't quite sit up yet. Ask the mother if she has a Boppy pillow or a Bumba. Likely she has one of the other. These are great positioners for babies. Both of the shots shown are with the Bumba. In one she was able to hold her head up but not quite keep herself in sitting position and would fall over. In the other with the bubbles it was just she and I without another 'handler' for helping...and the Bumba was great for keeping her put in one place.
    580470470_6eMLZ-L.jpg

531038413_JgS3j-M.jpg

Good Luck with the shoot!!
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011

Bryce---I just might (aka.. most definitely will) steal this idea. It's just so simple but clever. Thank you so much for sharing!!
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    My friend asked if I could take some shots for her few-months-old baby and the parents. The baby can't do much except for lying on her back and on her tummy, so she cannot sit. I don't have a studio so we'll probably just do it at her house, which I'll be surveying first as soon as possible.

Any ideas for poses, how to induce nice candids, etc? The following is the gear I have:

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 35 mm f/1.8
    Nikon 17-55 mm f/2.8
    Nikon 85 mm f/3.5
    Nikon SB-800
    Nikon SB-900

That's about it. I don't have any light shaping equipments, but I could rent some if needed. So don't count them out of your advice. I don't think I can rent any portable seamless backgrounds though, unless you have some DIY advice on that.

If you could give some sample pictures that can give me some ideas, that'd be much appreciated. Thank you!
    PMJI, I've got a new grandbaby coming as well as a shipment from B&H of some umbrellas, stands, reflector panel and a new Nikon SB700, to complement my D90 and SB600.

Any recommendations on the use of flash, umbrellas and reflectors for newborn photography? I want to make the lighting as soft as possible but my "studio" is just going to be the temporary use of my living room, where I have little natural light.

Any suggestions welcomed.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    f-rider wrote: »
    PMJI, I've got a new grandbaby coming as well as a shipment from B&H of some umbrellas, stands, reflector panel and a new Nikon SB700, to complement my D90 and SB600.

Any recommendations on the use of flash, umbrellas and reflectors for newborn photography? I want to make the lighting as soft as possible but my "studio" is just going to be the temporary use of my living room, where I have little natural light.

Any suggestions welcomed.
    For the softest light keep your umbrella as close as possible to your subject. The larger the "aparent light size" the softer it will be.