Labrynth Canyon @ Lake Powell

atippatipp Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited May 22, 2011 in Landscapes
A few shots at Labrynth Canyon at the southern end of Lake Powell, taken last weekend. Labrynth is easily reached via boat into the slot until the water runs out. A half-mile hike through the more open canyon leads to the narrow section, shown in these photos. The "narrows" are sometimes less than 12" wide, and 75 to 100 feet deep. Slot canyons are a favorite of mine. #1 is a single photo, # 2 and #3 are vertical panos - 3 photo stitch, all hand-held. C&C always welcome.

DSC0178-Edit-L.jpg

LabrynthPano02-L.jpg

LabrynthPano03-L.jpg
Allen

Sony R1, Bogen Tri and Mono Pods, Epson Photo Storage device, and Kata rain gear. I travel light...

www.catgraphpics.biz

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Very nice. I like all three shots. Was this were Peter Lik filmed one of his episodes for the weather channel?
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    very mysterious. I've yet to visit one of these. must make a list.
  • atippatipp Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Very nice. I like all three shots. Was this were Peter Lik filmed one of his episodes for the weather channel?

I have no knowledge of that episode, so I can't help you there. However, of all the slot canyons that I've ventured into, this one is the most easily accessible.
    Allen

Sony R1, Bogen Tri and Mono Pods, Epson Photo Storage device, and Kata rain gear. I travel light...

www.catgraphpics.biz
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Great shots. Slot canyons are so cool.
  • atippatipp Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Doug, I did some research on Peter Lik and his slot canyon episodes from the Weather Channel. Those featured his photography from Antelope Canyon, also on the south side of Lake Powell. Labyrinth is about 15 miles to the northeast of Antelope.

Antelope Canyon access is controlled by the Navajo Indian Tribe, and is a short drive east of Page, AZ. Labyrinth is also technically on the Navajo reservation but since you can access it from the Lake you don't have to pay the admission fee they charge at Antelope (although it is worth fee, don't get me wrong). All land on the south side of Powell is reservation land, and camping is prohibited without a permit from the Tribe.

For some strange reason, I prefer to photograph locations that I don't have to pay the "amusement park recreation fee" to experience.
    Allen

www.catgraphpics.biz
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Thanks Allen, I was thinking of his Lake powell images your right.