Options

MC #12 - Worn

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited May 27, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, since we have an abundance of worn-out pointe shoes, that's the first thing I thought of for this challenge. Here's my first attempts - comments & suggestions welcome! My daughter is dancing in NYC this weekend but will be home next week, so a re-shoot with her in it is a possibility. Thoughts on a title would be great also - Some that I've come up with are: Pointe Shoes in Heaven, Many nights danced away ... , Pretty but Dead, Dead en Pointe, Danced to Death, Dead and Forgotten, Pointe of Death (FYI - worn out pointe shoes are considered "dead" by dancers - but I'm not sure if the "dead" titles would be understood by most people?), & the one I won't use but have to say anyway is: You need another pair??

IMG3394-M.jpg

IMG3489-M.jpg

IMG3429-M.jpg

IMG3401-M.jpg
~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I love the concept. I also love the composition of these. But each image needs one more subtle, creative hint to reveal what they are. Had I not read your post, and/or knew you shot dancers, I would not really have known what I was looking at.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 20, 2011
    Great concept! I think #4 is my favorite, but that's just personal preference. I like seeing the pink of the shoe and think the dark background and lighting of #4 set them off nicely, but also like seeing some of the detail of the wear and tear as in #3. As for titles, Danced to Death would work for me better than the others with Dead or Death in the title.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    Thanks Paul & Gretchen! I really appreciate the comments. Here's another shot, with the darker background/shadows but a bigger DOF for more detail, plus I added some "creative touches". Thanks for the suggestion Paul - I know dance shots are not "the norm" & I was trying to use the perspective to cause the viewer take a closer look or a double take, but didn't think about them not being recognized - I hope what I did is subtle enough but clarifies what they are. And I think I'll call it "Accomplishments".

IMG3416b-M.jpg
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    Great idea!

I think 'dead' in the title is fine, most people refer to many things as dead when they are worn out.

For me, I was overwhelmed to see so many shoes. I think it would interesting to play around with more types of settings.

I wonder what it would look like with just one or two shoes. Show the ribbons (s-curves?) They are probably pretty soiled and twisted from always being tied in the same place. Bonus points if we can see if they were sewn with dental floss or not. I know the toe box gets the most wear, but do you have any with the arch broken that you could show? Maybe try with one lying down, with the toe box pointed forward, and one balanced (museum putty?) in an en-pointe position, with the ribbons trailing? Or all of these scattered, and just two standing en pointe?
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    I definitely did a double take since I wasn't sure at first what they were but it drew me in enough to look further and your title is perfect - it helps make sense of the image and gives it a story. Plus, I like the way they are seemingly suspended. NIce entry. GP
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2011
    Thanks kolibri & Gretchen (GretaPics)! They actually are hanging from the ribbons & shot from below - to emphasize the wear on the box. I originally thought of a title like "View from the Stage" but thought that was waaaay too literal! I'm actually pretty happy with the title without the dead reference - suggesting the positive side of things being worn out.

The ribbons actually aren't dirty & don't even appear to look too worn - the holes from being sewn don't show up much at all (many dancers re-use the ribbons to save $$$). My thoughts behind this shot started with a single shoe but I couldn't come up with a composition that I liked that showed the detail of the wear. My thinking is that the large number would better show the time and dedication required to perform en pointe. The one labeled "Sugar Plum 2010" shows an attempt by the dancer to stiffen the weakened/broken shank (the discoloration is from glue) - I'm sure most people won't get that from the shot, but that's okay - it's just an added bonus for those who know some of the 'tricks of the trade'.

For me, the neat part of the finished photo is that even though the "titles" were placed on random soles, they are actual dates & roles my daughter has danced! I think the comment about adding a subtle hint has helped me to draw out the story in this shot. (Thanks again Paul!)
    ~Lillian~
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 21, 2011
    Thanks for telling us how you got this shot. I was going to ask. :D

One of the other Gretchens on dgrin...
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    At first I thought peanuts? And then I thought mushrooms? Great subject....really begs to be looked at and studied.....
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I think #5 is great! I like the intrigue, where you aren't sure of what it is at first, and then you figure it out with the roles as you decipher what they mean. It helps that "Sugar Plum" is well known, even to those of us who know next to nothing about ballet.

Great photos don't reveal everything at first glance. This one rewards some study.thumb.gif
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback Gretchen (sapphire), Leah & Brian - I was hoping that Sugar Plum & Swan Lake (added to the entry in the gallery) would be recognizable to most people as ballet references.

The funniest thing was when my daughter got back in town & I showed her the photo, she went directly to her old shoes & started looking to see where I had written on them!! Fooled her - Laughing.gif!
    ~Lillian~
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    nice idea!