"Geisha" girl | Project Topaz

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited May 20, 2011 in People
My son was reading Journey to Topaz, an enlightening story about a young Japanese-American girl that had her life suddenly heaved into chaos with the bombing of Pearl harbor. Along with thousands of individuals, both adult and children, she was moved to a refugee camp in the desert, Topaz. The project was to draw a scene from the book and my son asked his teacher if a photograph would be acceptable. She said yes and just try to make sure it related to the scene that he had chosen. She made sure to tell him that the idea and premise of the photograph submitted had to be his idea and needed to portray the scene as accurately as possible, being that drawing something would probably be much easier in content. As soon as he told me about getting the "ok" to produce a photograph, I knew immediately where I wanted to go. One more thing worth mentioning, he has a 7yr old sister. Let the party begin. :D:barb

[ The structure was an abandoned warehouse near where we live. It seemed to go very well with the whole post-apocalyptic idea we were after. :D A big bonus was the Dr. Seuss character painted on the wall in the bottom photograph. ]

C & C always welcomed

5739476133_54973d9f65_b.jpg

5740027048_7b4e415bff_b.jpg

Comments

• FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Cool executed shot.. Not sure that i'd call this the way you titled it, though... sounds a wee wrong, by today's standards..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    Cool executed shot.. Not sure that i'd call this the way you titled it, though... sounds a wee wrong, by today's standards..

WOW! I'm an idiot. :D Didn't even think about the repercussions on how that sounds. Yikes! eek7.gif I changed it and the edited post shows the change but the title still remains the same on the main board view, so.....

Sorry for the eery, disturbing title. Maybe an admin can make sure it says "Geisha Girl | Project Topaz"?

Thanks for the compliment on the shot. thumb.gif
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Amazing shots!
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I know the story and the first one with here looking off in the distance really nails my perception of a scene from the book, but all of them are amazing.thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    About Geisha: whatever the past was or wasn't, in modern Japan a Geisha is a honourable performing artist with a private sex life.

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Well that's just creepy as hell, now isn't it? Comments on the photos, I believe, would have been much more appropriate. As would my choice of titles.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    the first two are great but the third really looks to me like she was pasted on to the background. nice concept though.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Darren,I am not bashing at all! Very sorry if I came off that way.

I just know how uptight some people are on the intrawebz ( I clash with them all the time, and would prefer to save a fellow photog from having same adventures as I do).

Nick, it has always been honorable.. Just a different understand of honor between the societies, unfortunately.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Maybe an admin can make sure it says "Geisha Girl | Project Topaz"?

Done. In the future you may want to post in our Place Requests To Moderators Here thread. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • 1scrappychic1scrappychic Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I really like the images. Nice work.