Sigma SD1 Pricing and Availability

ntotrrntotrr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited May 26, 2011 in Cameras
Well, I was planning on buying one but $ 9,700.00 is just an insane price.

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I've never seen anything by Sigma who's street price was anywhere close to SRP.

Having said that, $9700 made my :jawdrop
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    First off, let's get one thing clear: the claim of 46 MP is simply a lie. The sensor has about 46 million sensels, but a sensel is not, in this case, a pixel -- instead, each pixel gets its three channels of color data (R, G, B) from a group of three sensels. The resulting image is 15.3 MP. This is a 15.3 MP digital camera, period.

Now, to be fair, other manufacturers whose cameras use Bayer array sensors are also misleading the public to a degree. A Canon camera that claims 15 MP actually does generate a 15 MP image from a sensor with 15 milliion sensels (one pixel per sensel), but it does not really have 15 MP of resolution. Both Bayer interpolation and the presence of an anti-aliasing filter (in most cases) reduce the level of real resolution significantly. The SD1 will probably generate higher-resolution images than any of Canon's APS-C cameras, assuming Sigma offers lenses for it that can out-resolve the sensor. However, I very much doubt it will come even close to being competitive in resolution or overall image quality with other cameras in the $10K range, such as the Pentax 645D.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    Based on Sigma's history of MSRP's compared to final street values, I'd say we'll see the SD1 at about $5-6K. Maybe not right when it hits the shelf, but certainly within a year of that event...

Personally, if I was a rich, geeky hobbyist nature etc. photographer, I'd be all over this!

Unfortunately, I am certainly not rich, and although I am quite geeky and certainly a hobbyist, I'm also a working professional who simply needs a reliable, workhorse of a camera that can do as many kinds of jobs as possible... For me, that camera is still the Nikon D700 and I have a pretty good feeling that I'll be using that line of cameras for the rest of my career, in at least one form or another. The versatility and functionality is just so much better than anything else on the market.

Still, the geek in me certainly does drool!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    ... For me, that camera is still the Nikon D700 and I have a pretty good feeling that I'll be using that line of cameras for the rest of my career, in at least one form or another. The versatility and functionality is just so much better than anything else on the market.

Still, the geek in me certainly does drool!
    =Matt=

15524779-Ti.gifdoh
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    DPR's SD1 hands-on preview....

http://dpreview.com/previews/sigmasd1/
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    richy wrote: »
    46mp is a marketing ploy necessitated by the low level of comprehension prevalent with many consumers and the inherent issues with comparing two very different technologies. Now it is not a 46mp camera, nor (hopefully) does it produce 46mp images. However, all MFD sensors are bayer, virtually all dslr sensors are bayer with AA filters to combat moire. A 15mp foveon sensor has no AA filter AND no moire making it sharper and capable of producing more predictable results than its competitors. On IQ perhaps :) We shall see!

Foveon is odd and I don't claim to understand it but I've seen extremely good 10MP photos from their existing lines (think they are a 4MP sensor in real terms). If the photos from this new camera scale comfortably up to 30MP, with no apparent loss of resolution when viewed at 100%, then that would be good. Sigma tend to over egg the magic of Foveon, so I'd take their clams of 40+ MP with a pinch of salt.

At some point, I hope they'll release a successor to the tiny DP1/2 with this sensor :).