i-LGrFsBN-XL.jpg

i-TBMH4PB-XL.jpg

i-jjRh4fW-XL.jpg

i-kkJV9wV-XL.jpg

i-bm2dv7F-XL.jpg

5DII + 70-200/2.8II

thanks for looking!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    5DII + 70-200/2.8II

That is a winning combination!

These are really, REALLY good, Jack (and just makes me slaver even more for a 5dII for theater work!). I would probably tweak the WB a bit (obviously, within the parameters of what the stage lighting was rather than "natural" per se) and possibly sharpen up the faces on a couple, but these are terrific. thumb.gif
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Thanks! The first one is at 3400K, the rest I just threw on Tungsten. I've only shot theater once before; I have no idea what to do about WB since the stage lighting is so crazy and colorful. I suppose I'll play with the slider before printing any posters.

#6 was sharpened in CS5, the rest are as-shot at sharpness 5. In #11 there is something amiss, naturally, because that is my daughter. Not sure if it's motion blur or camera shake (IS was on and shutter was 1/250) or focus. Oh well. Otherwise I was really impressed with the lens and camera. Getting shots like these make the cost of the equipment just melt away. I was getting choked up while going through them. I didn't think to bring my 7D for a test, just wanted ultimate IQ.

I'm surprised you don't have a 5DII already, you do pro work and shoot for hire, right? You can write it off you know! ;) Life is too short. I was struck the other day about how silly it is to wring my hands over the cost of camera equipment, which has relatively awesome resale value, brings me such joy, and documents the growth of my children, when I had to plunk down $700 for new tires which have no resale value and bring no joy!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited May 21, 2011
    I've just never had enough cash in hand to buy one - it's obviously the perfect camera for my needs, but at over $2k it's just never been an option. Maybe once the 5dIII is announced I can pick one up a bit cheaper (although it would mean selling the 7d, which I'd find difficult - love that fast AF!)

As for WB... I shoot on AWB and fix it in post - too variable in situ to pick one balance which will work for every lighting state a desiggner may throw at me! I typically try to get the skintone looking natural-ish, and let the surrounding lighting fall to whatever colour it may (bearing in mind what it looked like to me in real life, of course - so if it was intentionally turning people purple or green or whatever, I don't try to balance those to natural skin!). I use LR and just click the dropper around some greys/blacks/whites until I find a balance that looks pleasing to me and then adjust other shots in that same lighting state accordingly; it's quick and pretty reliable.

In your series above, try cooling down #13 a little and seeing what you think - I'd probably use the lit section of the floor behind them or the silver bells on the hairbows/shoes to try and find a decent WB.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    These are so much fun to do and to catch the kids expressions. Congrats.
  • lzfotolzfoto Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Awesome! Totattly love the action, the girls facial experession, and the lighting is pretty amazing! The clarity and sharpness is dang good.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Wonderful! I love the expressions on the faces of those great little dancers.
    edited May 22, 2011
    Tx for the kind words, Richy, but scenarios like this

IMG0482-M.jpg

Would be soooo much easier with no-hassle ISO 3200 and 6400!!

Still, kein moola to et another body at this point, so I manage (quite happily - as you know, I really love my 7d). I suppose there's a certain intellectual stimulation in having to work out sneaky ways of getting the shot despite total lack of light!! rolleyes1.gif
  • LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Those are great shots! I will be shooting my daughters recital in a few weeks. Can I ask what your settings were? Shooting mode, apeture, shutter speed, iso? Flash settings?
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Great job! I love #3. It has great color and attitude from the girls.
    edited May 24, 2011
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!
    Those are great shots! I will be shooting my daughters recital in a few weeks. Can I ask what your settings were? Shooting mode, apeture, shutter speed, iso? Flash settings?

I shot in Manual mode, RAW, AWB. Although the color of the lighting changed from act to act, the brightness was pretty consistent. So I grabbed a spot meter reading off a girl's face in aperture priority, took a few pics, saw what looked good, and then locked in the settings in Manual. Ended up at ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/250. I think this works well for situations like this so that the meter doesn't get fooled by the background. I haven't gone through the whole set one by one yet, but I did put most of them on Tungsten WB in DPP. There was no flash involved. Don't bring a flash to an event like this unless you want to look like a complete ham 'n egger.:D
    -Jack

• LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Thanks, what about a tripod??
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com
    edited May 25, 2011
    Nah. Setting up a tripod in the theater would put you either too far back or off to the side. I was sitting in a seat near the front, and I moved to another seat on the other side. I suppose you could use a monopod if you get tired of holding the camera. Just make sure it's on the lens ring, not the body.

IS might help, and I used it for this just to be safe, but IS matters less as shutter speed increases. At shutter speeds greater than 1/focal-length, it's not totally necessary but it can help. At shutter speeds of 1/(2 x focal length) I turn IS off.
    -Jack

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    A very nice set. Number 6 is my favorite, it's just perfect in every way.

Thought this might be worth a mention. As your daughter grows in age and dance experience, that shutter speed will have to keep getting faster in order to freeze some of the moves she will be doing.

Enjoy every second, and yes, buy whatever equipment you think you need, because it will be over and she'll be off to college before you know it!
    edited May 25, 2011
    A very nice set. Number 6 is my favorite, it's just perfect in every way.

Thought this might be worth a mention. As your daughter grows in age and dance experience, that shutter speed will have to keep getting faster in order to freeze some of the moves she will be doing.

Enjoy every second, and yes, buy whatever equipment you think you need, because it will be over and she'll be off to college before you know it!

Thanks! I agree about shutter speed and that is totally my philosophy on gear!!
    -Jack

• bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Very Nice
    Exellent job, I have the same shoot coming up this Saturday, I hope I can get a seat that good. And, then Wed i'm off to Augusta, Me. for some fishing and wildlife photos.
    edited May 25, 2011
    Exellent job, I have the same shoot coming up this Saturday, I hope I can get a seat that good.

Thanks! I shot all these at the dress rehearsal, so paparazzi was allowed. I was able to move around the theater and get close. At the actual recital there was no photography allowed.
    And, then Wed i'm off to Augusta, Me. for some fishing and wildlife photos.

Cool, honk your horn at me when you go past Falmouth.
    -Jack

edited May 25, 2011
    Thanks. ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/250. Converted in DPP with default NR.
    -Jack

edited May 26, 2011
    Yeah, I exposed for the faces, not the entire scene, which the camera would want to do.
    -Jack

edited May 26, 2011
    oh wow, thats pretty low iso, i was expecting iso 3200 :)

Ditto! I have to say, if your ISO was that low then the lighting itself must actually have been pretty good. In more than one venue I've had to crank up to ISO 2000 just to eke out a SS of 1/160!!!

Given it's a 5dII, I would probably have bumped it up (if only so I didn't have to worry about SS at ALL) - the beauty of that full frame beast is that you can do that without giving it a second thought :):)
  • kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    excellent captures with right exposures - I wonder what was your camera? Bravo
    edited May 27, 2011
    kombizz wrote: »
    excellent captures with right exposures - I wonder what was your camera? Bravo

Thanks! Canon 5DII with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
    -Jack