hockey

flasesinmyeyesflasesinmyeyes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited October 12, 2005 in Sports
I'm at hockey games alot so i tryed taking pictures of that and they turned out ok.

I would appreciate any advice, i'm new at this.

thanks

Kyle

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=468773982&photoID=468800738&security=amqAZO

Comments

• morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2005
    please post some of your shots so that we can give some advice, thank you - Bob

I'm at hockey games alot so i tryed taking pictures of that and they turned out ok.

I would appreciate any advice, i'm new at this.

thanks

Kyle

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=468773982&photoID=468800738&security=amqAZO
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 5, 2005
    Happy to help but the linky doesn't go to a gallery.

Can you post one or two?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    hockey hockey give me hockey i love hockey!!!!!!

:D:D:Dclap.gif:D:D:D
    (college season opens up this weekend with exhibitions, yeah!!!!)
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    Are we talking ice hockey ne_nau.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 5, 2005
    winger wrote:

Laughing.gif Karen,
    I haven't heard the "Hockey, hockey, hockey" song since 2004 :D Can't wait to see some of your North Eastern College hockey shots and the Sharks open against Nashville tonight clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited October 5, 2005
    winger wrote:

SJSU's season started Saturday. On a new sheet of ice with some really
    great lights thumb.gif

I do hope to be able to shoot a game or two...
    edited October 6, 2005
    Laughing.gif Karen,
    I haven't heard the "Hockey, hockey, hockey" song since 2004 :D Can't wait to see some of your North Eastern College hockey shots and the Sharks open against Nashville tonight clap.gif

Steve
    HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY...........

Shooting some ACHA action tonight (trading photos for ice time/ game time)
    Then some NCAA action over the weekend (but dont expect impressive stuff, Im shooting in a dungeon all weekend).
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 6, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    SJSU's season started Saturday. On a new sheet of ice with some really
    great lights thumb.gif

I do hope to be able to shoot a game or two...
    So Ian,
    No hassle bringing one of your Canons into Logitech? This might be fun :D I know I can't get a long lens into the Tank. But the 70-200mm F2.8, on a 20D, should do well for college hockey thumb.gif Wanna take in a game together?

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited October 7, 2005
    So Ian,
    No hassle bringing one of your Canons into Logitech? This might be fun :D I know I can't get a long lens into the Tank. But the 70-200mm F2.8, on a 20D, should do well for college hockey thumb.gif Wanna take in a game together?

Steve

I think we should. I walked in there (albiet to do a referee eval) with a full
    on bag and no one even asked. But then, it was 11PM and one of the last
    games of adult league :)

I'll ask around.

Ian
  • risourcerisource Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Hockey is tough
    36898260-L.jpg

I've been working on some amateur ice hockey and it is tough. At least 800 ISO, 2.8 or better for 1/180 or faster, but the biggest problem for me is the darn AF on my EOS 10D.

The 10D AF *loves* the face guard and helmet hardware, or the stick logo patterns. And forget about "in the crease" shots when that damn net draws the AF like a magnet.

36895652-L.jpg

At wide apertures I've got cm's depth of field, and I really want the face in focus, not the face guard (!)

With most games setting "light" vs "dark" jerseys, the exposure is also a problem when there is a white jersey next to a black jersey. This challenge makes me long for film again, and manual focus with a ground glass/split screen.

34910723-L.jpg
    edited October 8, 2005
    risource wrote:
    I've been working on some amateur ice hockey and it is tough. At least 800 ISO, 2.8 or better for 1/180 or faster, but the biggest problem for me is the darn AF on my EOS 10D.

The 10D AF *loves* the face guard and helmet hardware, or the stick logo patterns. And forget about "in the crease" shots when that damn net draws the AF like a magnet.

Try center point focus then focus on the chest and not the face.

Ian
    edited October 8, 2005
    Everyone is teasing me with hockey "photos"
    GIVE ME HOCKEY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!

(make the little red x's go away)
    edited October 9, 2005
    Sorry...fixed the external links.
    ian408 wrote:
    Try center point focus then focus on the chest and not the face. Ian
    I tried mainly using center point focus. My "training" is 35mm SLR and I naturally follow the action as I shoot successive frames, meaning my composition fights the AF system when it is on center-point.

The little guys I shoot haven't "earned" their full-logo hockey sweaters yet either, so often I am shooting a flat black or white chest or back. Like I said, hockey is tough!

Averaging is so weighted towards the verts and criss-crosses I have gone back to manual for many, many shots. I would really appreciate a ground glass split at this point.

36779302-M.jpg
    edited October 9, 2005
    Perhaps a Katz-Eye focusing screen will help with manual focus?

http://www.keoptics.com/

Also, what focusing mode are you using?

I'd like to suggest separating focus from exposure by setting the camera up
    to use the "*" button to drive focus. I can't remember the exact custom
    function this. I want to say Cf3-4? You can find a file at www.siphoto.com
    for setting this and other things up.

Ian
    edited October 9, 2005
    Yeah hockey!!!!
    edited October 10, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Also, what focusing mode are you using?
    My best results are with single shot, when I am trying for a single frame shot. I stick to AI when shooting sequences. I have not had good results with AI Servo mode. I know that sounds unusual, as AI is supposed to go to AI Servo during action, but that is my experience.

The custom function for separating focus from shutter is an excellent idea and I will try that out Tuesday eve.Thanks for the links.

I wasn't aware of Katz Eye screens and when I get a second body I will probably go for that. The "plus" version isn't available for the 10D.
    edited October 10, 2005
    risource wrote:
    My best results are with single shot, when I am trying for a single frame shot. I stick to AI when shooting sequences. I have not had good results with AI Servo mode. I know that sounds unusual, as AI is supposed to go to AI Servo during action, but that is my experience.

The custom function for separating focus from shutter is an excellent idea and I will try that out Tuesday eve.Thanks for the links.

I wasn't aware of Katz Eye screens and when I get a second body I will probably go for that. The "plus" version isn't available for the 10D.

I think single shot in the darker arena is the way to go.

Looking forward to Tuesday's result!

Ian
    edited October 12, 2005
    it's not fair
    Looking at Winger's DailyPhoto it dawns on me just how bad this novice hockey stuff is... great shots and thanks for posting them. I've bookmarked your DailyPhoto for inspiration!

f2.8 at 1/800 at ISO800 I am really jealous. I'm shooting f.2.8 at 1/250 if I am lucky at ISO800. Even then I'm having to maniuplate exposure in PS. Oh, and you're shooting thru the plexi! That's impossible for me - our glass is horrid. Add that the 6 and 7 year olds don't engage in the exciting play-action quite as much as the NHL layers do ;-)

I shot a white card under the tungstens for custom WB tonight and started using the '*' AE lock/AF thingy. Big improvement, but I have to spend more time studying the * setting. Shooting ONESHOT using the * to lock-on I was more free to shoot SLR style. I'll edit this in a few minutes with a sample photo.

I'm thinking some of the focus issues are actually motion blur. Not much to shoot at this practice session - these are unretouched. Oh, and did I mention that's my boy in the middle? ("Jay" :-)

39689247-L.jpg

39689245-M.jpg